FORUMS: list search recent posts

Found on the web

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J Hussar
Found on the web
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:49:48 pm

This whole fiasco is irritating - so looking around the web I found this from a nameless blog from Aug 2010:

August 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I’ve been saying 2012 before the next version of FCP for quite a while now. I expect a re-imagined and rebuilt product, not a “faster horse” that Adobe and Avid have undoubtedly delivered. (Look for an upcoming post titled “Should Apple build a faster horse?).

Apple will lose some market share in the short term, but the inertia that prevents people changing will work in their favor. Most people dislike learning new interfaces, workflows, software and “quirks”. I agree, if Apple isn’t offering a tool you need, go somewhere else. PPro CS5 and MC5 are excellent applications.

This really is the attitude. Either you will be sucked in because you are lazy or you'll go elsewhere.

Pretty cynical if you ask me.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Found on the web
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:59:53 pm

Actually very realistic. Inertia doesn't last forever though. Last year that might have worked. I think there's now strong pent up demand to move to another NLE.

In fact, that everyone now faces learning a new interface whether moving to FCPX or any other NLE, renders that inertia moot. Now, short of sticking with FCP7, which does nothing to help FCPX sales, everyone must learn a new interface.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:33:02 pm

Remember Craig -- and I know you are a mostly positive guy who was excited to see what FCPX v1.0 would be -- the key issue in my mind is "stick with FCP7" because many of us fear the writing is on the wall, that it won't be supported for long.

I will buy FCPX for the high school class I teach; it will be perfect. And maybe by the time those kids graduate and get through college, FCPX will be the defacto standard NLE.

But my concerns are whether the discontinued, no longer available except as unauthorized copies, FCP7 will work on Lion and beyond?

So in self defense I will need to set aside time to migrate (Automatic Duck) FCP7 projects to Premiere or MC, in case my FCP7 stops working. Right now I can't afford to "freeze" my machine (MBP 17" 2010) and dedicate it to FCP7, though that may be the cheapest solution eventually.

So you're right, I will have to learn a new interface or two: FCPX for my video class, and perhaps PPro or MC for my work.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:56:20 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "-- the key issue in my mind is "stick with FCP7" because many of us fear the writing is on the wall, that it won't be supported for long."

It really depends whether and how long one is willing to wait. Personally I'd wait until the end of the year to see if Apple really follows through on their once or twice yearly major updates.

Everything you have will continue to work with FCP7. I'd be cautious about upgrading to Lion because anything that breaks in FCS won't be fixed.

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "Right now I can't afford to "freeze" my machine (MBP 17" 2010) and dedicate it to FCP7, though that may be the cheapest solution eventually."

But you'll know soon enough. I'm sure they'll be a flood of post if Lion breaks anything when it comes out next month. If it does then you'll have the info you need.

I've spent 10 years on Avid MC and can probably learn most the stuff I need to know in Premiere in a week.

I'm going to be one of the early Lion adopters since I live dangerously (by choice). Meanwhile I'm going to spend some intense weeks in FCPX and I'll also know soon enough if it's usable even in its immature state. I have a hunch it will be for my use and I am a professional. I don't hand off projects so my focus will be how robust it is and how it speeds my workflow.

I have no fear of jumping but I don't have fear of FCPX or Apple either . . . at this point at least.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:26:28 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Everything you have will continue to work with FCP7. I'd be cautious about upgrading to Lion because anything that breaks in FCS won't be fixed."

Exactly. Like I said in another post, a friend has a G4 with Final Cut Pro 4.5 on it and it works just fine. Doesn't have any new updates like Snow Leopard but does exactly what it did the day he got it. There's always a solution, though it may mean sacrifices in the immediate future.

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]