FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understand Life and Final Cut Pro X/ Comprendre le vie et Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Understand Life and Final Cut Pro X/ Comprendre le vie et Final Cut Pro X
on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:38:39 am

Interesting article drawing parallels to Darwin's theory of Evolution (as the author understands it) and the development of Final Cut Pro X.

Fascinating that someone would even attempt to explain in this way.

COMPRENDRE LA VIE ET FINAL CUT PRO X
In French
http://www.video-d.com/comprendre-la-vie-et-final-cut-pro-x/

UNDERSTAND LIFE AND FINAL CUT PRO X
Google Translate to English
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=U...

And he begins the explanation of the interface changes with...

"So, as you can see, Final Cut Pro should evolve. But how? Should they change the engine and keep the body or suggest something new?

Again, do another small tour in the world of biology by focusing on two paths that can take natural selection to evolve organisms: gradualism or punctuated equilibrium."

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Understand Life and Final Cut Pro X/ Comprendre le vie et Final Cut Pro X
on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:19:25 am

Fascinating article. Can't say as I disagree with it.

My favorite quote: (Remember this is a google translation from French)

"This software will not mount on your behalf, nor does it make you a genius if you are a tench."

What's a "tench"? Well, my high school French is a bit rusty, but with the help of Google, I learned a tench is a fish. It's also one of those idioms that loosely translates to, "an idiot!".

Now if we can only get Aindreas to rant en Francais, then this forum will get interesting!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:53:26 am

Tench! I got me a new word. Now I just have to find a place to use it.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:07:21 am

All that blah-blah-blah may impress people that never heard about Darwin.
FCPX is the evolution of nothing. In fact, FCPX is probably a very bad example on what is EVOLUTION.
Charles Darwin said "The function develops the organ". And so, only the lack of function may lead an organ to disappear.
FCPX has new organs, but lost some which functions are still needed.
When birds developed their wings to fly didn't lose their leg to run or their mouth to eat.
rafael
PS: You can design animal without mouth so you don't have to feed, but..

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:11:05 am

In understanding what FCP-X means in terms of technological development,
I prefer to explain it as Disruptive Innovation,
following the Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. Christensen.
One of Steve Job's favorite books.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:51:13 pm

I saw a bumper sticker on a car parked in a Student parking lot of the University of Alberta (I walk through it on the way to the LRT station) that read: "Evolution is a Theory, Creation is a Fact."

Too bad they don't know the difference between "belief" and "knowledge".

And consequently wonder what the H--- they are doing at a University?
Especially one whose motto is "Quaecumque Vera" (Whatsoever Things are True).

And so there it is... filostafee, the way Zappa would see it, ie. RU effing kidding me?

Really, this debate is a waste of two years -- the fact that there is a debate indicates quid pro quo that the experiment is a failure.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:05:30 pm

I don't think an app that's regularly the 2nd or 3rd highest grossing app in Mac's App Store is a "failure"
Regardless of whether one thinks "pros" are using it, it's appears to be selling quite well. When you consider the number of posts by people buying iMacs so it can run better, it may well be doing its job selling computers for Apple.

Maybe your definition of "failure" is the same used by Android supporters who tout market share, while Apple makes a fortune selling iOS devices and Google makes a fortune from iOS ad revenue.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:10:17 pm

[Joseph Owens] "the fact that there is a debate indicates quid pro quo that the experiment is a failure."

The experiment has shaken up the NLE market in a very large way and is very far from a failure

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:56:56 pm

[Steve Connor] "The experiment has shaken up the NLE market in a very large way and is very far from a failure"

I think the only ones shaken up were FCP Legacy users. AVID users still use AVID, Premiere Pro users still use PPRO (though I am curious how they feel about changes to their NLE in the wake of FCPX). Vegas users still use Vegas. It was really the FCP user that was left wondering which way to jump.

As to whether it is a failure, that is subjective.

From a money aspect, it is very successful. I also think in terms of pulling in folks that never seriously looked at video editing (whether for price or complexity) it is a success. As to being viable for large scale productions, that remains to be seen; although adoption in such circles seems lacking.

As to keeping thee hardcore FCP users of the past on board, there it is pretty much a failure. I mean there are those that have enthusiastically adopted X as their main NLE. Many are also grasping onto FCP Studio until the wheels fall off. However, many have jumped ship and even a lot who still use FCPX see it as only one tool that needs other NLEs to complete the package.

The long-term viability of FCPX is still up in the air as I see it. However, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:03:23 am

A lot of great analysis Clint. I only wonder were you get your data from to back up your findings?

I hope not from just reading the posts of maybe 20 (I have not counted) people regularly posting here...

I have no idea what the rest of the world is doing, if they are switching, adapting, learning, doing the same thing as before?

I only see some passionate geeks having fun and finding even more creative ways to justify their passion to spent way to much time here. And that includes me :-))

Happy editing

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Mar 22, 2013 at 2:48:55 am

[Carsten Orlt] "A lot of great analysis Clint. I only wonder were you get your data from to back up your findings?

I hope not from just reading the posts of maybe 20 (I have not counted) people regularly posting here..."

Hell, if my posts were based only on this forum, I would say 80% of all editors were embracing FCPX with both hands and the only hold outs being Aindreas and Chris (who seems to be wavering a tad).

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:25:17 am

But you haven't specified your source yet :-)

Happy editing

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 23, 2013 at 11:20:13 am

[Joseph Owens] "Evolution is a Theory, Creation is a Fact.""

I think the point of this statement is even if you take the theory of evolution as true, it is hard to get around the idea that something was created out of nothing at some point. Who made the Universe? The big bang! Okay, who made the big bang? umm??? okay, who made the mass and energy in the big bang? and so on. Anyway.... ...rolls eyes...

[Joseph Owens] "Really, this debate is a waste of two years"

Very true and yet here we are still debating it. I rather think it cathartic...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:22:38 am

http://images.wikia.com/creepypasta/images/e/ea/Manticore.jpg

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Laurent Lindebrings
on Mar 21, 2013 at 9:15:19 am

I really like the way the author of this text use evolution theory to explain FCP X. That's really original.
By the way the fish's name is "TANCHE" and not "Tench" and yes it is a slang term for idiot.
As we saw with FCP 5_7 a lot of functions of FCP X are implemented in some others NLE (like the skimmer in PPCS6) and certainly more to come.
As an editor on FCP for 10 years now (I am certified by Apple on 7, X & Motion), I quit FCS to use FCP X.
I really enjoy to edit with this software. Once you understand the way it behaves you are faster than ever you did on FCS.
I really regret that Apple did not wait and test it's software before relasing it.
X.0 to X.4 were really not up to the task. Worst, the methodology for using it was not ready and confused a lot of people.
Since 0.4 then the software is stable and for most of its functions, is far better than FCP7.
Because of this terrible launch, most of the editors have a bad idea of what FCP X is capable of doing while the software and it's ecosystem evolved really well.
I really hope that pros will have second look at FCP X with the right guide (it's really different).
Some professionals tell that FCP X does not have the right tools for their job.
For most of us FCP X is really enough as a core for editing but it is true that everything is not include. This depends of your own ecosystem. FCP X is a kind of iOS for editing. You pay for the core of your editing system and add apps for your specific tasks.
Is it a problem ? Maybe for some, not for me.
As Apple did before with computers it jumps. 7 to X, is it clear ?
The problem is not the jump itself but how they did jump (communication, brutality)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]