FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X versus Premiere Pro CS6 by Oliver Peters

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Mar 16, 2013 at 10:49:57 pm

Not a "shootout" comparison but a comparison of paradigms.

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/final-cut-pro-x-versus-premier...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Final Cut Pro X versus Premiere Pro CS6 by Oliver Peters
on Mar 16, 2013 at 11:33:58 pm

3 things I would like to add.

1. Collaborative editing on FCPX can be done with multiple systems. We do it all day long every day of the week using sparse disk images. Seeing it live and in action is really an eye opener. You can't both edit the same event at the same time, but the sparse disk image option really opens doors for NAS users.

2. X has had a pretty substantial number of updates in 18 months, much faster development of the software is going on than with premiere. Not all updates have been 'feature rich', but many of them were. If you hate something about premiere (like being able to only open 1 project at a time), get used to it because that ain't changing for a year.

3. Don't underestimate the affordability and convenience of having up to 10 seats for X on an App store account. No license issues occur with the software at all in this regard. No serials, no deactivation, etc. If you own the program, you own the program and can install it on every mac you have unless you're Richie Rich and have 30 macs.

There are good points about working with Premiere on pc's and macs. We're probably going to get some interesting updates with CS7. It's possible the premiere that comes out of CS7 is going to be amazing. Time will tell.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:33:04 am

[John Davidson] "X has had a pretty substantial number of updates in 18 months, much faster development of the software is going on than with premiere."

I think that's a pretty dubious estimate. X is a young software and I am willing to bet that everything we've seen up until now was on the original roadmap, but just not ready. What you've seen up until 10.0.6 was effectively a beta software and what we currently have is really the "1.0". That's my opinion, of course, but I really don't believe any of the features added in the updates were in direct response to customer feedback. So this is less "fast development" and more a matter of finishing what was started.

[John Davidson] "Collaborative editing on FCPX can be done with multiple systems. We do it all day long every day of the week using sparse disk images. "

Sorry, but that's not collaboration. It's a hack. I know it works for you. I'm on a SAN and it's easy to shuffle projects between editors, too. Neither the X nor PPro solution is currently very good.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:06:50 am

[Oliver Peters] "So this is less "fast development" and more a matter of finishing what was started."

You haven't defined or, in any way, addressed "fast development" IMHO.
If you mean development doesn't count until it reaches feature parity with its predecessor or competitors then that would certainly be a personal reference point. I don't see how that definition describes the speed of development though.

Starting from "ground zero" in which coders start doing the coding from as near as one gets to blank slate, they are adding features new to THIS PLATFORM at a fast pace compared to other NLEs, even if features somewhat parallel to it, already exist on other NLEs.

If that's your point of reference though you should state that, rather assume the reader infers that. One would argue parity itself is a difficult standard because any number of NLEs are ahead or behind feature sets compared to others while also develop in areas which don't have a direct parallel.

You can compare it to itself, this platform, and the development is fast. Compare it to other NLEs and many features are "catch up" but even from that perspective the addition of such features are happening at a fairly rapid pace.

[Oliver Peters] "I really don't believe any of the features added in the updates were in direct response to customer feedback."

So only response to customer input equates with speed?
Some might argue that most of the features that have been added are things customers have asked for. There's no way of knowing what was or was not pre-existing on the road map. If fulfilling their own pre-existing road map "doesn't count" then, since Apple claims a 10 year plan, would you then consider the 10 years of development irrelevant to development pacing?

Concretely the features updates have been frequent whether one believes they are "catch up" or they pre-exist on their internal roadmap.

I don't doubt Adobe's schedule feature update schedule will pick up as they shift into online only software delivery.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:24:01 am

[Craig Seeman] "I don't doubt Adobe's schedule feature update schedule will pick up as they shift into online only software delivery."

Online software delivery has absolutely nothing to do with software development speed or scheduling.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:01:14 am

[David Lawrence] "Online software delivery has absolutely nothing to do with software development speed or scheduling."

It means they can deliver individual feature updates as they're ready instead of waiting for a big release with disc replications and shipping.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:12:20 am

[Craig Seeman] "It means they can deliver individual feature updates as they're ready instead of waiting for a big release with disc replications and shipping."

They already do this with Adobe Updater. It's been around for years.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:15:26 am

[David Lawrence] "They already do this with Adobe Updater. It's been around for years."

Not major feature updates.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:31:32 am

[Craig Seeman] "Not major feature updates."

No technical reason why they couldn't if they wanted to.

The speed at which developers are able to write code has nothing to do with how that code is ultimately delivered. Electronic delivery has been an option for years. Engineering, marketing and accounting priorities are the biggest drivers of release timing, not manufacturing.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:17:08 pm

[David Lawrence] "No technical reason why they couldn't if they wanted to."

I agree. The issue has been an approach to releases based around physical disc distribution. Apple dropped that. And now so has Adobe, having announced the cessation of the sale of physical discs for the Creative Suite. Releases were in sync with disc manufacturing and distribution. Now they (both companies) can roll out individual features as they complete development. This may also make the "upgrade" event moot. There's "big" upgrade to happen with this form of distribution. Adobe takes care of the economics behind it with the subscription model. Apple, seemingly, through the app store.

[David Lawrence] "The speed at which developers are able to write code has nothing to do with how that code is ultimately delivered. Electronic delivery has been an option for years. Engineering, marketing and accounting priorities are the biggest drivers of release timing, not manufacturing."

Yes, but things were keyed to disc distribution and the "big" upgrade. With discs gone there's no distribution event tied to marketing. Disc distribution heavily factored into marketing. It had a significant impact on cost. The process of packaging, replication, shipping were all costs. They all had timelines. They impacted the releases. The companies all had big releases that were 18 months to two years apart generally. It was an industry wide pattern for those that released discs.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:18:13 am

[Craig Seeman] "Yes, but things were keyed to disc distribution and the "big" upgrade. With discs gone there's no distribution event tied to marketing. Disc distribution heavily factored into marketing."

I get where you're coming from, I just don't think this is as big a deal as it may seem.

For example, my upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 was delivered electronically. I'm sure my upgrade to CS7 will be as well. I doubt manufacturing has anything to do with the timing.

Logic has been in the app store since 2011, yet it's 2013 and we're still waiting for the release of Logic X. It's pretty obvious the app store isn't driving the Logic X release schedule.

I'm in agreement with Oliver. From a development standpoint, it looks like the 10.0.0 release was a public beta and everything up to 10.0.6/7 was planned, in development and simply unready for release at the time.

What you're looking at is roughly 18 months to go from beta to release (10.0.6), with feedback from lots of beta testers in the field. This is a pretty realistic schedule. I would start the clock now in terms of judging the development speed for any major enhancements and version updates for FCPX. If Logic X is any indicator, don't expect the app store to make any significant difference.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:15:06 pm

I still don't buy your reasoning.
Online delivery doesn't guarantee all products will be updated more quickly than before. Coders still have to code.

What changes is that rather than wait for multiple features to be completed so that a physical disc can be replicated, package designed, boxed can be shipped, individual features can be released as they are completed and tested.

That major updates can be delivered online is also not the point. Those updates didn't happen until a disc was also ready to go. Again that was usually commensurate with multiple features being ready.

Currently, for FCPX, feature updates can be released as they are completed.

With Adobe ending discs, although still differentiating full set purchases vs online "rentals" they can deliver features as they are completed and tested like FCPX. The main difference, apparently, will be that the "renters" will get them as they occur with no need to pay an upgrade price. The upfront purchasers may have to wait until the gathering of a number of features and then have to pay an upgrade. Upfront purchasers will still be facing the traditional "wait for the disc" model sans disc.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30:46 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Online delivery doesn't guarantee all products will be updated more quickly than before. Coders still have to code."

Thank you, that's my point.

[Craig Seeman] "What changes is that rather than wait for multiple features to be completed so that a physical disc can be replicated, package designed, boxed can be shipped, individual features can be released as they are completed and tested."

You mean like Apple's been doing with Logic X?

[Craig Seeman] "Currently, for FCPX, feature updates can be released as they are completed."

As is true for any software application.

[Craig Seeman] "The main difference, apparently, will be that the "renters" will get them as they occur with no need to pay an upgrade price. The upfront purchasers may have to wait until the gathering of a number of features and then have to pay an upgrade. Upfront purchasers will still be facing the traditional "wait for the disc" model sans disc."

We have yet to see how the timing works out as far as bring cloud users and perpetual licensees to version parity. Versioning isn't going away just because of electronic delivery.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:41:36 pm

The option of short turnaround updates wasn't viable until the end of physical discs, the marketing and the mechanics around that.

Apple has been able to that with FCPX. Adobe may start to do that with CS and judging from what they've said, subscribers will get updates before purchasers.

Logic X has nothing to do with this. It's probably undergoing a ground up rewrite. At this point I believe it's the only app Apple purchased outside, remaining.

This is a discussion based on the frequency of updates. That's the subject of this discussion. FCPX feature upgrades have been more frequent then when legacy was delivered by disc. It is more frequent than other NLEs which had been delivered by disc. Their model of delivery was"held back" because the business model is/was focused on a paid upgrade which included the option of a physical disc. I've seen no evidence otherwise.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:13:58 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The option of short turnaround updates wasn't viable until the end of physical discs, the marketing and the mechanics around that."

The end of physical discs does nothing to change marketing and accounting priorities.

[Craig Seeman] "The fact is Apple IS doing it, providing new features within the current framework, faster than other NLEs."

All of those "new features" were likely in development from the very beginning and simply held back from release because they wen't ready. For example, the multicam demo is the exact same Audi spot from the initial release before the multicam feature was introduced. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Also, keep in mind that the app store doesn't have a currently mechanism for charging for updates. Apple may need to hold back major updates beyond patches just to be able to get paid more than once.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:11:38 pm

[David Lawrence] "The end of physical discs does nothing to change marketing and accounting priorities."

It can impact marketing since one may not market around a single "big feature release."
It can also impact how one handles paid upgrades.
In the past the marketing and upgrades also included physical discs even if they weren't the only way to purchase.

Whether practices actually change, we'll know over time. So far Apple has released features more frequently than for legacy and without cost to the end user. Note... SO FAR. That has been the pattern.

[David Lawrence] "All of those "new features" were likely in development from the very beginning and simply held back from release because they wen't ready. For example, the multicam demo is the exact same Audi spot from the initial release before the multicam feature was introduced. Coincidence? I don't think so."

Many programs are developed with parallel paths. 1.0 and 1.0.x at the same time (x being a new feature). That's common. So Apple is doing nothing different in that department. You present it as if it's a revelation. I believe Ubillos mentioned a 10 year plan. Who knows what's being worked on already.

[David Lawrence] "Also, keep in mind that the app store doesn't have a currently mechanism for charging for updates. Apple may need to hold back major updates beyond patches just to be able to get paid more than once."

Or they may not. I wouldn't speculate on that. There's no previous history to base that speculation on. Since the beginning of iTunes apps, which predates the Mac App Store, there has been no mechanism for upgrades so there's nothing to base a change on.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:46:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] " FCPX feature upgrades have been more frequent then when legacy was delivered by disc."

Craig,

I'm not sure that's entirely true.

From April 2003 (FCP4) - April 2004 (FCP4.5) - May 2005 (FCP5) is 25 months, 3 major versions (and maybe 4 because wasn't 4.1 the cocoa version? memory fails me) plus all the point upgrades. I can't find a comprehensive history (and those here may have better memory than I) but it's certainly comparable to the past 20 months of X.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:26:59 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "From April 2003 (FCP4) - April 2004 (FCP4.5) - May 2005 (FCP5) is 25 months, 3 major versions"

Granted that was a relatively short period not equaled since as FCP legacy progressed from 5 to 7.
For FCPX
10.0.0 June 2011
10.0.3 January 2012
10.0.6 October 2012
16 months
and some suspect the next update will also have a major feature addition given duration between bug fixes and feature addition.

Speculative of course but
10.0.8 April 2013
would be 22 months for the fourth on the list for X.

Of course one can argue that this period may end up being just as exceptional as 4 to 4.5, to 5.
We'll have to see how the year progresses.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:36:27 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Currently, for FCPX, feature updates can be released as they are completed."

I don't think there's any difference in this versus how Adobe and Avid operate. It gets down to marketing. Under the current Apple business model for ProApps, there's no marketing advantages to holding back new features.

The key technical difference for Apple is their updates (with the newest OS versions) can be released as patches, because they have hooks into the OS that no one else does. The Premiere and Avid updates are typically uninstall/re-installs of the program. That's pretty transparent with Premiere and in fact, I might be wrong as it might be a patch as well, due to the Air programming environment.

In the case of Avid on Mac for sure, there's a full uninstall process before updating to a new version. This guarantees that you always have a full installation. On the Windows side, they use incremental patches that have to be cumulatively applied.

Apple can be more intelligent about this since they control the app and the OS.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:50:29 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I don't think there's any difference in this versus how Adobe and Avid operate. It gets down to marketing. "

Marketing is a BIG difference. It is the business model. It's not about can it or could it have been done. The fact is Apple IS doing it, providing new features within the current framework, faster than other NLEs. I suspect Adobe may change that but the FACT is Apple is doing it now and has been since the first feature upgrade for FCPX.

[Oliver Peters] "The key technical difference for Apple is their updates (with the newest OS versions) can be released as patches, because they have hooks into the OS that no one else does. "

And that counts. Although we're talking about new features (at least within the "new paradigm) not simply fixes, just to be clear.

[Oliver Peters] "That's pretty transparent with Premiere and in fact"

But feature additions have been around paid upgrades and distribution of disc even if that wasn't the only means of distribution. It is/was the business model. A gathering of new features for paid upgrades. For Adobe, the big change is that the subscriber will not have to worry about paid upgrades, that they will get new features before the upfront purchasers (even though discs are about gone).

Apple has been rolling out new features since the first such they've done for FCPX.
Adobe seems to be moving to that model differentiating subscribers from purchasers.
Avid.... nothing. No announced or hinted change in their business model of feature delivery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:58:22 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Avid.... nothing. No announced or hinted change in their business model of feature delivery."

Not completely correct. No more physical discs either. Update methods and schedules changed with 6.0.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:02:27 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Not completely correct. No more physical discs either. Update methods and schedules changed with 6.0."

That is news. Thanks for noting that. It does mean Avid may well roll out features as they happen. It might actually more important to them given their financial situation. That may mean examining how they handle upgrades. It'll be interesting to see if there's any pattern change compared to previous release schedules.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:35:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] "That is news. "

In 2011 ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:58:20 pm

Avid ceased physical discs in 2011?

Mind you I'm not talking offering both, I'm talking about file based as an only option.
As long as there is a disc based option major feature released tend to be centered around that.

If Avid has been file only since 2011 then they've really blown an opportunity IMHO.
Especially since Apple is doing frequent feature (catch up or not) upgrades and Adobe has already states that feature upgrades will be rolled out to subscribers that up front purchasers won't get at those points.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:02:28 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Avid ceased physical discs in 2011?"

No, they've been optional for a while at initial purchase. Preferred purchase method has been download. Updates between versions are download.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:09:02 pm

PS: From the current Media Composer product page at the Avid Store:

"Note: Media Composer 6.5 is available for purchase as a download only."

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:12:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] ""Note: Media Composer 6.5 is available for purchase as a download only.""

Yes, that's significant. Once moving to download only, it can free a company to make changes in how it handles upgrades as well as feature release schedules.

It may be interesting to see if Avid goes the route Apple has and Adobe says they're going to do.
I don't know if Avid has announced anything like that but please do tell if they have.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:43:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Mind you I'm not talking offering both, I'm talking about file based as an only option."

Hey, I'm not going to repeat the above argument you are having with David. I agree with him. Yes, there were disks available after 2011, but it was very clear at the time that that was an ancillary delivery system, kept alive as a courtesy. Even when you bought through 3rd parties, you were directed to an Online download. When I bought the Symphony cross-grade, I don't think discs were even an option from the vendor I purchased from. And, if I remember correctly, when I upgraded my 5.5 MC seat to 6.0 from Avid, it was also download only. Four years ago, I would have agreed with you, but I think that, right now, you are pushing the whole disc thing a little too hard.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:12:51 pm

Given the move Apple and now Adobe has made I see a clear change in feature introduction. Whether cause or correlate the push to frequent feature upgrades (Something Avid is not yet doing or announced) have happened along with the end of disc distribution.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:23:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "the push to frequent feature upgrades"

I will be very surprised if Apple keeps this pace up. It seems to me that it was partially to make amends, but also reflects the kind of changes that occur around a radical release, like at the the time FCP HD (4.5). I'm betting things will slow down soon, if they haven't already. It's been 5 months since the last feature release, right?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:10:48 pm

[Chris Harlan] "It's been 5 months since the last feature release, right?"

Yes. Some are expecting a nice feature update just before NAB. My guess would be April 2nd. We'll certainly know soon. My own guess is that Apple will sustain for at least the rest of this year. I'm guessing two major feature update releases a year for the time being. I'd also guess Adobe will be doing at least one a year. Actually if Avid has 7 they actually would be in the same ballgame considering when 6.5 was released.

Again this is not something I think will be unique to FCPX.
Adobe has said they well make features available to subscribers before purchasers.
Avid hasn't really said anything yet though.

I do think feature upgrade releases are going to be more frequent than 18-24 months even if it drops to once a year.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:18:46 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I do think feature upgrade releases are going to be more frequent than 18-24 months even if it drops to once a year.
"

Agreed!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:23:02 pm

Craig -

Avid has been doing major releases (.0 to .5, paid upgrades) on a 9 - 12 month schedule for a couple of years now, with minor point releases (free) scattered between .5 releases. In addition, they consistently patch and add/fix functionality in previous releases (they just released a patch for v6.0.3.2). As far as discs go - when they still shipped DVDs that version was rarely the most recent. It was common practice to get the installer and install the latest patch on top, or just buy the software, download the latest version, install it and shelf the DVD when it arrived.

While many .0.x releases from Avid are bug fixes, they've occasionally included new features, but often new features are saved for bigger, paid upgrades. The pricing of which has often been a point of contention with their customers. Apple has bucked that trend and isn't charging for any updates with X, but is that because they're being generous or are reinventing software development, or have they been playing catch-up by adding in features like multicam, which was available in 7 but not X? I imagine they'll eventually charge for an update - I wonder how much it will be too, since the app store doesn't allow it (yet).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:41:50 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Apple has bucked that trend and isn't charging for any updates with X, but is that because they're being generous or are reinventing software development, or have they been playing catch-up by adding in features like multicam, which was available in 7 but not X?"

Adobe has said they also won't charge for upgrades for subscribers.

Granted we have to see where Apple goes with their feature upgrades but, to date, no developer using the Mac App Store can charge for upgrades through that delivery medium so unless we hear otherwise, status quo free feature upgrades (catch up or not) continues.

If I were to guess wildly I do think Apple may consider Logic Pro X a new app and will charge for that though.

Also my wild guess is it will be some time before Apple charges for a new version of FCPX.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:47:57 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Adobe has said they also won't charge for upgrades for subscribers."

True, but that's because you're always paying. When you stop paying your bills, you don't get access to their software until you pay. So you're licensing or renting the software, not buying it. And it only makes sense, then that you always get the upgrades. Who rents old software?

It will be very, very interesting to watch what Apple does with FCPX and upgrades, and the cost of those upgrades if they do come. If it's a whole new purchase of the app ($299), I wonder how people will respond.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:18:22 pm

[Michael Hancock] "It will be very, very interesting to watch what Apple does with FCPX and upgrades, and the cost of those upgrades if they do come. If it's a whole new purchase of the app ($299), I wonder how people will respond."

A new paid version may happen eventually. I suspect they'd have to have a much stronger offering if they didn't want a big drop off in people moving to a new full paid version.

Adobe and Apple do have very different business models. Apple sells hardware which you must buy to use FCPX. If changes in FCPX force you to buy a new computer they'd make money assuming FCPX really can drive computer sales.

I can imagine Apple including features in an FCPX upgrade that really demands a new Mac. Consider the scopes in the current version. Perhaps, in an FCPX upgrade, you'd have multiple real time scopes but it would require the new MacPro with one GPU on the motherboard and a 2nd GPU in a 16x PCIe 3 slot. Obviously just wild speculation but it might be an FCPX driving computer sales (attempting to at least ) rather than a paid upgrade for FCPX itself.

Or imagine an "iLife for Pros" model. When the time comes you pay for the new FCPX version or it's included with the purchase of a MacPro (possibly needed anyway for some optimized features).

I'm just throwing out some wild ideas where Apple might go if they eventually do charge for a full version upgrade.

I don't think they'd charge for a full version upgrade in the near future though unless they want to shoot themselves in the foot (which is a possibility after all).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:54:16 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Adobe has said they also won't charge for upgrades for subscribers."

That's not really true. Via the subscription model you are paying $600/year at retail. For that it stays current, because you are only "renting" the software. This is about what upgrade costs have been in the past for the standalone bundles, if you ignore the initial purchase price. So it's really a wash.

[Craig Seeman] "no developer using the Mac App Store can charge for upgrades through that delivery medium so unless we hear otherwise, status quo free feature upgrades (catch up or not) continues."

No, but a) Apple can alter the rules for itself, and b) if a new version is sold, that can be charged full price. In theory, Apple could sell FCP XI as a new product and charge $299 all over again. We simply don't know at this point.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:25:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "That's not really true. Via the subscription model you are paying $600/year at retail. For that it stays current, because you are only "renting" the software. This is about what upgrade costs have been in the past for the standalone bundles, if you ignore the initial purchase price. So it's really a wash."

I agree with you but it's a bit of the psychology behind the marketing.

Personally I don't like the idea of software rental but I certainly see how it's a very good business model for Adobe.

[Oliver Peters] "No, but a) Apple can alter the rules for itself, and b) if a new version is sold, that can be charged full price. In theory, Apple could sell FCP XI as a new product and charge $299 all over again. We simply don't know at this point."

Sure they can change the rules. With that thinking one can throw all reasoning out the window because any company at any point can always change their business model. The only thing I can say is that since the start of iOS apps, they've never had an upgrade option. Yes "past performance is not an indicator of future results" as the disclaimer goes but that is all I have to go on at the moment.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:38:37 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Personally I don't like the idea of software rental but I certainly see how it's a very good business model for Adobe."

Agreed. Me, either.

[Craig Seeman] "The only thing I can say is that since the start of iOS apps, they've never had an upgrade option"

Not a valid indicator. The precedent has already been set by moving the OS X updates to the Mac App Store.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:02:14 am

[Oliver Peters] "Not a valid indicator. The precedent has already been set by moving the OS X updates to the Mac App Store."

... which are full price. There's no separate upgrade price.

I don't think OS updates drive new Mac sales either whereas I do think Apple hopes that FCPX will (eventually) drive some Mac sales.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:06:49 am

[Craig Seeman] "... which are full price. There's no separate upgrade price."

I think I already said that in reference to FCP XI. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:56:46 am

[Oliver Peters] "[Craig Seeman] "Personally I don't like the idea of software rental but I certainly see how it's a very good business model for Adobe."

Agreed. Me, either.
"

Me three.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:37:00 am

Interesting. I wonder what the long term impact will be. I don't know if we're typical.

My concern is that renting really requires a "life time" commitment if you want to open projects and files.

Of course Adobe still sells the Creative Suite and it's component programs. Personally I wonder how long that's going to last though.

I don't doubt Adobe found a fair number of users were skipping upgrades.
I also suspect they wanted to get a way from a business model which gave them a big influx at the point of release and then a steady and possibly precipitous revenue decline until the next major upgrade was ready.

With rental they probably have a steady revenue stream which funds R&D for upgrades.
Given the necessity to keep subscribing for continued access to one's projects, they may be able to anticipate growth outstripping drop off.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:01:38 am

[Craig Seeman] " I also suspect they wanted to get a way from a business model which gave them a big influx at the point of release and then a steady and possibly precipitous revenue decline until the next major upgrade was ready.

With rental they probably have a steady revenue stream which funds R&D for upgrades.
Given the necessity to keep subscribing for continued access to one's projects, they may be able to anticipate growth outstripping drop off.

"

jesuitically speaking Craig - I wonder at your faith in the apple conglomerate.

we are left in a puddle. The natural constraints that might have protected hardware or software concerns are largely gone.

craft concerns are very exposed at the moment.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:22:54 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "jesuitically speaking Craig - I wonder at your faith in the apple conglomerate."

I don't have any particular faith in Apple. I find most all the developers have burned people at one time or another. I'm certainly not fond of the Mac App Store.

I can say two things regarding Apple an Post for me. I like the NLE and since purchasing X, Motion, Compressor, I haven't had to pay for anything other than plugins, most of which have been inexpensive.

If FCPX "blew up" and Apple pulled the plug I'd do as I've done before. Find something else to edit with.

The consolation in all this is nowhere does it seem I'd have to pay $60,000 for a turnkey system as I would have 15 years ago.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:01:44 am

The fundamental flaw with all cloud based subscriber models is that the internet is not becoming a safer place so leaving a computer online all the time is becoming something to worry about. I have one computer online in a network of seven computers. I also have two tablet devices that go online but only one of them can see any other networked computer. So the only two online network devices are Linux based.

I am running CS6 on a PC which offered the best bang for buck and the easiest to maintain, service and upgrade and I don't want that machine online except for the monthly hello to Adobe and downloading updates. So the subscription model just doesn't work with my security strategy. Even the MacPro is not online except to upgrade and now that FCP7 is EOL, there is almost no reason to put the Mac online anymore either. With Apple playing with remote disabling of Java, I am wary of both hackers and OS developers doing background 'updates'.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:56:44 am

[Michael Gissing] " I am wary of both hackers and OS developers doing background 'updates'."

I've stopped using Google Chrome for exactly that reason. I don't like forced upgrades, especially when everything is working fine.

Dave

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:11:28 am

[Craig Seeman] "Of course Adobe still sells the Creative Suite and it's component programs. Personally I wonder how long that's going to last though.
"

Me too. Especially after listening to that fellow in Australia. Of course, technically, we're only licensing software, not actually buying it, which, on some level the rental/lease is a more accurate representation of what is happening in the fine print. Overall, though, I am not thrilled at the prospect. I don't know if Cloud being the only way to use Adobe would get me thinking hard about using something else, but it might. I hope Adobe filters in negative reaction from the Big Brother effect, when they calculate how far to take CC.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:59:20 am

[Chris Harlan] "Me three."

Me four. Here's why I'll never rent software:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2015

Larry fully admits to his mistakes but even so, he should not have been exposed to this kind of risk.

What Steve Jobs said about music is doubly true for mission critical applications my business depends on. I want to own them.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:20:31 pm

[David Lawrence] "What Steve Jobs said about music is doubly true for mission critical applications my business depends on. I want to own them."

Me five.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:21:45 pm

And yet Adobe seems to have hit business paydirt with this model

Creative Suite subscriptions pay off as Adobe raises profit forecast
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/20/creative-suite-subscriptions-pay-...

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:05:29 pm

[David Lawrence] "[Chris Harlan] "Me three."

Me four. Here's why I'll never rent software:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2015

Larry fully admits to his mistakes but even so, he should not have been exposed to this kind of risk."

Totally agree, on top of the potential activation issues, I don't want to take the hit of another monthly expense when and if I'm not working. I don't like the idea of my software costing me money when it isn't being used.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 19, 2013 at 10:16:50 pm

[Shawn Miller] " I don't like the idea of my software costing me money when it isn't being used."

Shawn,

While I'm not exactly an advocate of the rental model, one of it's aspects is you could actually only pay for it while you use it. (Note, the rates are higher, but it should be considered.)

Franz.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:06:14 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Shawn,

While I'm not exactly an advocate of the rental model, one of it's aspects is you could actually only pay for it while you use it. (Note, the rates are higher, but it should be considered.)

Franz."

That is a good point, Franz. But if I'm not working, and I still want/need to do unpaid work (updating my demo reel, doing volunteer work, etc), then CC continues to be a cost. With the perpetual license, I can at least work with an 'outdated' version of the software until my next paying gig.

IMO, the subscription model seems like it could be a huge benefit to medium and large post houses. I actually like the idea of being able to scale seats up or down according to workload... I'm just not sure it makes as much sense for individual artists... well, not for me at least. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:44:42 pm

I do think there's a real psychological barrier although I can Adobe's approach on cost.
https://creative.adobe.com/plans

You're either paying $600/year ($50/mo) for everything or $75/mo to cancel anytime.

Given the price ($1900 for Production Premium) to buy the Suite you'd have to be the kind of person that goes more than 3 years without paying for an upgrade to make the purchase worthwhile.

The psychological barrier might be that you're really making a lifetime commitment as once you cancel you lose access to the apps to open your project files. This means at the point you want to cancel you need to buy the current Suite so you can keep opening your files.

Cancel anytime only makes sense if you think there's a real possibility you might stop using for more than 4 months (and not have access to your project files)

If you're just interested in an individual app at $20/mo it would be closer to 4 years without upgrading to make a purchase more worthwhile. The one exception seems to be if you want Photoshop Extended which doesn't seem to be available in the individual app plan. I suspect that's deliberate as there are probably many who use other NLEs who might get that plant otherwise. If you want Extended you have to get the full suite at $50/mo.

Basically one can see that Adobe did this to address all those people who purchase and then skip several upgrades.

For many these plans are psychologically worse than two year smartphone carrier contracts.
With Adobe you're really on a plan for life if you want to maintain access to your project files or your last act is buying the apps to keep access (sorta like a carrier early termination fee?)

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 19, 2013 at 9:45:33 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Granted we have to see where Apple goes with their feature upgrades but, to date, no developer using the Mac App Store can charge for upgrades through that delivery medium so unless we hear otherwise, status quo free feature upgrades (catch up or not) continues."

Note that you can do in-app purchases, though. So while with present App Store infrastructure Apple can't just say "$100 for the 10.1 update", they could hypothetically say "$100 for the new 'pro workflow' features we've added".

But my guess is that they won't do this. The Pro Apps have always been primarily about selling hardware.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:34:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Adobe has said they well make features available to subscribers before purchasers."

Although so far that doesn't seem to have happened with PPro (unless I've missed something!)

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:59:29 pm

[Steve Connor] "Although so far that doesn't seem to have happened with PPro (unless I've missed something!)"

It hasn't happened yet but I do believe they've announced it. I think Dennis R. mentioned as much on this forum when talking about the value of having a subscription.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:05:51 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It hasn't happened yet but I do believe they've announced it."

I believe there have been some updates along the way. These came to CC first and then standalone users shortly thereafter. Since the first release of CS6, there have been numerous updates including to Premiere Pro and Speedgrade. These aren't big feature updates, though.

But remember, if you have CC, you have access to all of the Master Collection plus Lightroom. That's all of the video, web, photo and design software. There may be updates that come along in some of the other programs, so it's not just Premiere Pro. I dare say the Adobe portfolio dwarfs what Apple has to offer, so it's a completely different beast, once you step outside of the editors' perspective.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:20:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "You haven't defined or, in any way, addressed "fast development" IMHO."

Remember that was a comment in response here. Everyone else seemed to get what I meant. But to clarify, I was trying to differentiate between standard feature development that was on a roadmap for future releases, versus catching up on unfinished business. That's where Adobe was with Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5, I believe. Not so now where they are working on new features, rather than tweaking the build to improve performance and add features that weren't quite ready yet. In any case, it's all irrelevant, because the proper comparison is what Adobe does going forward from CS6 versus what Apple does going forward from 10.0.7.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:22:34 pm

[Oliver Peters] "he proper comparison is what Adobe does going forward from CS6 versus what Apple does going forward from 10.0.7."

I suspect both may end up developing and releasing features at more or less a similar pace. Given Adobe subscription has no upgrade price and, so far, neither does Apple, there's no need to market around the "big upgrade" as a revenue generator.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:49:08 am

Nice round up!

And, I agree about Apple's updates. They certainly should be commended for putting in the catch-up effort, but there is nothing to suggest that that speed will become the norm. The had added incentive because of all the bad PR, and I'd be surprised--though impressed--if they kept up the speed.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 16, 2013 at 11:52:08 pm

"Adobe software must be purchased with either a Mac or Windows license and switching platforms requires cross-grading the license. Unlike Avid, you cannot simply go from a PC workstation at a facility to a MacBook Pro at home with a simple de-activation/re-activation process."

Oliver is somewhat incorrect on this as the Creative Cloud option provides for both Mac and PC as part of your subscription.

Check out the FAQ under "purchasing and getting started": Creative Cloud FAQ

Dennis - Adobe

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:23:57 am

[Dennis Radeke] "Oliver is somewhat incorrect on this as the Creative Cloud option provides for both Mac and PC as part of your subscription. "

Does this apply to the licensing? I'm on standalone licenses, so I don't know. IOW, can I have CC on two different machines of different platforms and switch activation between them?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:27:27 am

Under "On How Many computers can I install the software?" in the FAQ

"You can install the desktop applications available in Creative Cloud on your primary computer and one backup computer, as long as they are not running at the same time. You will have access to both the Mac OS and Windows versions, so if you have a Mac at home and a PC at work, for instance, you can install your applications on both. See the product license agreements page for more information."

Let me know if you have other questions.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:36:13 am

[Dennis Radeke] "See the product license agreements page for more information."

Let me know if you have other questions."

And what does the licensing agreement say? I interpret the FAQ as talking about the software, so I'm confused. Again, I haven't installed CC on any machines, so I'm used to platform-specific serial number entries.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:44:56 am

Well, you can check out the EULAs here: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

Bottom line - you CAN use a Creative Cloud subscription on two different computers (as before) but now you can easily maintain one on PC and one on Mac.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:47:50 am

[Dennis Radeke] "Bottom line - you CAN use a Creative Cloud subscription on two different computers (as before) but now you can easily maintain one on PC and one on Mac."

Thanks. I've adjusted the post accordingly. I appreciate the feedback.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:25:45 am

I'm running Creative Cloud on a Mac and PC concurrently - this has been common knowledge since the Cloud announcement last NAB. In the past, you did have to buy the suite for a specific platform.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:41:49 am

Just don't loose your internet access! No internet no Adobe Cloud programs.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:55:03 am

I think as long as the suite is ACTIVATED on a machine it can run whether online or not. Of course it can't be de-activated or updated until back online.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:36:39 am

Thanks for that unbiased comparison Oliver. It just reaffirms my decision to stick with FCPX which as you point out in your article runs extremely well on the new maxed out 27" iMac.

I would agree with you that the main purpose of the updates in the last 20 months has been to bring the product up to scratch and iron out stability issues. My work experience has become a lot less problematic with each update. I believe that we will see total integration with Logic and full round tripping with Motion in the near future. I also think that the colour correction module within FCPX will have a major update soon, It's one of the items that has remained unchanged since launch.

I've got FCPX installed on 4 machines at the moment, my new iMac, a macbook Air that we do interview analysis with, a 5 year old 17" MacBook Pro we take to client meetings and my newly semi retired MacPro which I'm keeping as a back up and to burn DVDs on. The key here is that these are all Apple machines. That's the deal, use Apple software = use Apple machines.

Updating the software is a pain free experience, apart from the 3rd party plugins I've got installed which often take a while to update.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:12:40 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I think as long as the suite is ACTIVATED on a machine it can run whether online or not. Of course it can't be de-activated or updated until back online."

I believe CC pings the mothership once every 30 days. If you are not connected you get a warning and a short grace period to connect.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:09:23 pm

You are correct, Oliver, and that is a FAQ on the Adobe website. Here's their take on it:

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:10:33 pm

Nope. It has to call home a minimum of once a month to see if you've paid he bill AND if its been deactivated. You see, you can install it on lots of machines, but the license can only be activated on one. So, the minute you activate on a third machine, it deactivates the other two. So if it doesn't call home frequently, you could get it activated on more than 2 pretty easy. I think it calls home every time you launch, but it'll let you get away with no connection for a few weeks before it cuts you off.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Mar 18, 2013 at 1:07:14 am

Plus of course, because the Creative Suite is a suite of products you don't have to have all the applications installed on one computer. i.e. you can have Photoshop on your Mac at work and PC laptop at home while you have PPro installed on your other power PC at work and your iMac at home, if you so desire.

Beautiful!

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:50:59 am

Doesn't work that way. You can have the whole suite installed on 20 computers for that matter. But only 2 systems will actively function at once. In your scenario, two of those 4 will always be inactive. With some overlap of course.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:52:06 pm

[Bret Williams] "Doesn't work that way. You can have the whole suite installed on 20 computers for that matter. But only 2 systems will actively function at once. In your scenario, two of those 4 will always be inactive."

OK so maybe I misunderstand. I realise you can only have one active computer at a time. So. . .

. . .Can I do this? I edit at work with PPro on my MacPro. I go home and do some extra work on Photoshop on my iMac. Later on, I finish off some Illustrator work in bed on my laptop.

Is that a workable scenario?

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:16:29 pm

Dave's original post was concerning "losing" an internet connection - the point was you can still keep working until connection is back. I think the days of purposely keeping your editing system offline are long passed... plus Adobe does frequent updates to various components of the suite so it's good to be connected all the time anyways.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]