FCPX Transcoding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
FCPX Transcoding
on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:05:34 pm

Hi All,

Im a pro Editor (20yrs) FCP and Avid.

Thought I'd give FCPX a go. Digitised a load of (tape based) DV footage using iMovie and then imported the resulting quick times into FCPX (Didn't optimise which was my big mistake). So far so good. struggled through a 30 minute edit (over 1000 dv clips) and then wanted to export to Resolve to grade. Problem is Resolve doesn't seem to play nice with the native .dv clips that iMovie created. What I need to do used to be called a media manage while transcoding media - to create a new sequence that refs the new prores files. Then export an xml to resolve and away we go.

I didn't optimize the clips on import and they all have a .dv suffix so I guess I meed to convert them. Can I do this from within FCPX (I see nice words like transcode but they don't seem to do anything) I do not want to export a flattened quicktime into resolve - I want the clips individual to round trip back to fcp x. I cant work out how to do this. If I use compressor to batch convert the files the surely fcp x wont like the new suffix when it comes to reconnecting.

Any advice?

Sean

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Shawn Strong
Re: FCPX Transcoding
on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:26:21 pm

ProRes

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:51:57 pm

I haven't dealt with .dv recently but if FCPX sees it as a format that can be optimized, you can optimize at any point in the editing process to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:04:27 pm

I haven't used .dv in FCPX, but did you take a look inside your event folder in the finder?

Go to:

Your Volume > Final Cut Events > Your Event Name > Transcoded Media > High Quality Media

It's possible FCPX optimized your media and you didn't even realize while it happened in the background.

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16:41 pm

No it hasn't - everything is still dv and I'm not getting an option to transcode on import. I wonder if it's the same issue that Resolve seems to be having...

Thanks for the advice Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:42:24 pm

I don't know specifically about .dv, but FCP X does not optimize media it thinks is already optimized. That might be the case here. Normally, you should be able to highlight clips and then transcode from the menu. If that's not available, then FCP X won't let you force a transcode. You probably need to transcode externally using Compressor or MPEG Streamclip. In general, I haven't been too happy with how FCP X deals with SD sources using DV codecs (MOV or DV). Transcoding to ProRes will help a lot.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:48:47 pm

PS: Let me ask - what do you mean Resolve doesn't play nice with .dv? Do you mean the video doesn't show up or that the real-time performance is poor? If the latter, then that's probably normal for Resolve. It's one of the worst graders for real-time playback (with lots of corrections added) unless you have multiple GPU cards. However, that doesn't matter, because you will render out of Resolve anyway before round-tripping back into FCP X. That render can be set to ProRes.

OTOH, if you don't see video at all in Resolve, then that means Resolve doesn't support the codec or wrapper.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:51:30 pm

PPS: Yet another option for you. Use Xto7 to go from FCP X to FCP 7. Media manage in FCP 7 and then roundtrip to Resolve from FCP 7. You can roundtrip back to FCP X from Resolve.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:58:13 pm

Thanks for all that. Using FCP7 seems like a cop out as Im doing this to test FCPX workflows to see how capable it is.

Resolve doesn't like the DV format and neither does FCPX - I Transcoded using compressor and FCPX was happy but wouldnt see the audio because I left audio pass thru on.

Ive got the files in now (all 1500 of em). Ill be Interested to see how resolve deals with them. I was hoping to be able to get them into Logic pro for a bit of a dub but for some strange reason that isn't possible and Apple are still buggering around with LogicX. Automatic Duck has ceased to work with FCPX so...

My initial opinion is that FCPX isn't quite as Robust as Apple seem to claim.

Annoying isn't it?

Thanks for the suggestions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:12:43 pm

Just some odd "peanut gallery" thoughts.
You can ingest DV tapes straight into FCPX so I can't see why you went the iMovie route.
That said, FCPX has an import iMovie feature as well so I'm wondering if it might have handled that better than using the .dv files directly.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:19:54 pm

[Sean Davison] "My initial opinion is that FCPX isn't quite as Robust as Apple seem to claim."

Actually it is quite robust, all things considered. It just isn't as full-featured as you might need at this point. You say using FCP 7 is a cop-out, yet every complex project I've worked on to date has required diving into FCP7/FCS for some function. The days of a single NLE that fits all functions are over in my opinion.

There is no connection to Logic from FCP X at this point in time. Your DV audio is likely 32kHz, which is the reason for the audio compatibility problems.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:52:31 am

Is there a connection from Logic to FCP7? Yeah

DV does not need to be optimized in FCPX.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:19:04 am

[Thomas Frank] "Is there a connection from Logic to FCP7? Yeah"

No, but the connection from FCP7 to Soundtrack Pro was pretty nice.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:25:04 am

True so is the connection between ProTools and FCPX. ;)

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:30:44 am

[Thomas Frank] "True so is the connection between ProTools and FCPX. ;)"

For the low low price of only $149.99! ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:37:57 am

what software does the Pro tools link please...what about Logic?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:42:54 am

[James Ewart] "what software does the Pro tools link please...what about Logic?"

http://x2pro.net

Re: logic - you'll have to wait for Apple.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:32:32 am

[David Lawrence] "For the low low price of only $149.99! ;)"

Which I recouped on the very first day I used it.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:15:50 am

Pardon me for stating the obvious but you can transcode at any point after capture. You are aware that you can select all the clips in Event browser and go: File - Transcode Media aren't you?

Then just check optimised pro Res.

N'est-ce pas?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:16:35 am

".dv" (DV Stream) are not QT Movies, they do not have TC and the audio get crunched to 32Mhz.
Many reasons for not using them out of iMovie.
rafael

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:52:01 am

"Pardon me for stating the obvious but you can transcode at any point after capture. You are aware that you can select all the clips in Event browser and go: File - Transcode Media aren't you?"

Actually no you can't if it is media that FCP X already views as optimized. You cannot force a transcode to ProRes in that case.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:59:42 am

Understood but in this instance I'm not sure that he has said that FCPX does think his footage is already optimised unless I have missed a post.
And I think that was his original question. Are we making an assumption here?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:02:53 pm

By which I mean transcode will remain greyed out obviously if he has not physically selected the clips in the browser first...just wondering I'd the solution might be the obvious one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]