FORUMS: list search recent posts

Started a FCP job today..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Stewart
Started a FCP job today..
on Mar 11, 2013 at 8:22:47 pm

It was only as I walked in to an open plan room full of Macs I realised I hadn't asked which FCP - I'm really no good with X because I never use it.

Course, it was 7. I felt silly after for even worrying.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Started a FCP job today..
on Mar 11, 2013 at 8:56:50 pm

ha.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:54:39 pm

That wasn't even a deep repetitive belly laugh. Are you feeling OK Aindreas?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:19:13 pm

the audio handling video below took it out of me a little. One is a little despondent at the undifferentiated X wreckage.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:54:38 pm

What a coincidence. I finished three today, on FCPX, for which I'm getting paid the same as last year on FCP7. In half the time.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:16:53 pm

Well, rock on! What kind of jobs were they?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:59:08 pm

Paid. That's important.

But more to your point, they're personal stories with interviews, narrative, music and b-roll. I've done these for several years for this particular client on an annual basis ... Lost track of how many years but when I started I was using Liquid Chrome. When Chrome was discontinued I gave up and bought Macs and FCP. After Liquid I never quite got used to some of the differences (limitations, in my mind, but I'm not trying to be snarky there) I encountered in FCP. But I've certainly had far fewer computer issues with Macs.

FCPX feels much like editing in Liquid, actually, to me, which may explain at least MY comfort with it. But it's smoother and takes far less rendering once I start layering on effects and such.

So, if I can do an edit of the same quality (or better) faster in FCPX and either charge the same or have time to work on other projects it's certainly a net gain for me.

I wonder what job the OP was taking on?

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:07:21 am

I'm sorry...why would your pay change at all if you change editing applications? I don't understand that statement.

Companies tried to pull that crap when FCP first came out. Sorry, you are saving money on the system...I'm not any cheaper. My brain is the same, my storytelling ability is the same.

Oh...wait. You mean you are paid by PROJECT...and not hourly. So you get the projects done sooner? I might understand that. REALLY understand that, as I am on an Avid on an ISIS...and man, the ISIS really slows this beast down. BIG time.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:16:13 am

I usually charge by the hour. This particular stuff is on a project basis. So I can take on another project or two with the time saved.

I suppose if you work for a post house or you always have all your time booked it matters not, not so much. (I do work almost constantly, shooting or editing.) Knowing I can finish a project faster means not having to allow more time for a given project (theoretically) and not having to turn other work away, which means keeping clients happy because I'm available, and similar intangible benefits.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:22:55 am

But if you're getting paid by the hour, then the benefit is.... :)

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:16:17 am

Bret,

So far the benefit to my clients is that I can do more in the same amount of time. So I have more time to polish and add fit and finish and finesse and stay within their expectations. The drawback there *could* be mine ... If the client said "Well, just finish faster and lower the bill". So far everyone has been happy with both the invoice that meets their expectations and the product that exceeds those expectations, for more or less the same amount.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:49:34 am

Just kiddin there. Didn't you see the :) ?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:04:17 am

Sure did. But it was a valid question anyway. ;))

Best,
John

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:07:14 pm

[John Godwin] "So far the benefit to my clients is that I can do more in the same amount of time. So I have more time to polish and add fit and finish and finesse and stay within their expectations. The drawback there *could* be mine ... If the client said "Well, just finish faster and lower the bill". So far everyone has been happy with both the invoice that meets their expectations and the product that exceeds those expectations, for more or less the same amount.
"

Exactly what I was saying to someone else. With the new hardware and FCP X I can easily do all the little tweaks (EQ, colour correction etc) that I wanted to do and could occasionally if I had the lead time. But now its just part of the process.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:02:34 am

Absolutely. Say you have ten hours budgeted to finish a project. If Final Cut Pro X allows you to breeze through the mechanics of the edit in four hours while an alternate NLE might have taken seven, this leaves you with twice as much time to be creative, to experiment, to polish your story. This is a good thing. Most clients aren't going to know how fast you are with software A versus software B, and they probably won't care, as long as they are happy with the final result.

Gabriel Spaulding
Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:25:49 pm

Finished four today three times as fast getting paid twice what I got paid in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:59:29 pm

high five.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]