FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 after some time...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
FCP7 after some time...
on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:59:20 pm

Today I launched FCP7 after about eight months since the complete transition to FCPX. I had to export a project on an HDV tape, so there was no other way. It felt somehow strange, as it felt really old, clumsy and slow. I realized I could never think of going back. However, I felt at the same time that something could have been handled way better, and maybe much of the sour feeling some professional editors grew about FCPX could be avoided. People at Apple think tape is dead? OK, but since there's still demand on the professional market, why not add an export to tape option, since capture from tape is there? A version of a sw that can't deal with projects from a previous version is something unheard of. Think about a Word that can't open yesterday's .doc files, or Photoshop that can't open .psd... Crazy. You want to go that way, you call the sw a different name, as it's not an upgrade but something different. I credit people working there technically capable of adding these features and more. So it looks deliberate. I don't get it. However, my job is delivering contents and not marketing. I really like editing in FCPX, skimming, adding notes to clips in the Event Browser that will be available in any future project, keyword collecting, the magnetic timeline, the way waveforms are shown, working while importing or rendering and so on. Well, I like it.. :-)

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
Re: FCP7 after some time...
on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:15:45 pm

It's true. I was super excited when they announced FCPX before it came out. I have always loved FCP and 7 did everything I needed. I had this idea that FCPX was going to be a combination of FCP 7 and Shake. Then it came out and I was totally disappointed. Yet, I bought it anyway.

I decided to build a home editing suite and realized it was pointless to try and run FCP 7 on it so I was stuck with FCP X and Premiere. I took the time over a weekend to learn Premiere. Easy-peazy. And yet after a year of having FCPX I still couldn't rap my head around it until....
Last few weeks i've been using FCPX alot and it has finally clicked. I totally enjoying using the software. There are a lot of things that still have to be done. But for now I much rather use it then Premiere. It... just... feels... sexy.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 4, 2013 at 3:02:01 am

I think we beat the "fcpx launch was bad" horse dead pretty well after the launch last year, so no reason to resurrect it.

However concerning the opening of old projects. I was very disappointed about this too and frankly thought it was going to be a deal breaker. So now after year and a half how many times have I actually needed to open an old project? Not once.

I don't mean to imply that no one needs to open old docs. I just thought it was going be a problem and now I realize I had fussed for nothing.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 4, 2013 at 3:02:28 pm

[T. Payton] "I think we beat the "fcpx launch was bad" horse dead pretty well after the launch last year, so no reason to resurrect it. "

You are right, but the need to open a one year old FCP7 project and to export it on tape a couple of days ago while I were with an editor friend kind of helped digging out that horse :-). The intention of the post was not complaining, however, but instead of sharing a very positive editing experience with FCPX after a short time of learning on my position as a freelance editor and a content creator.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 4, 2013 at 3:40:11 pm

Not complaining either, as I have been doing a lot of work with X. But I find that I end up still touching tools in FCP7/FCS on at least half or more of my jobs, while editing with X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:17:34 pm

Imagine if Apple had release FCPX as a Beta while also still selling FCP7 seats. X would be sooooo popular right now. Editors would've been able to see the future, rather than seeing the Cliff.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:58:12 pm

[Jordan Mena] "Imagine if Apple had release FCPX as a Beta while also still selling FCP7 seats. X would be sooooo popular "

Doubtful, because that's exactly what Apple did. Obviously it wasn't technically a beta, but the net result is the same. Especially, considering that no one has paid for an X "upgrade" yet. You could buy FCP 7 after the launch of X and AFAIK, through certain channels, you still can.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:13:10 pm

i am really curious about the next release. People from Apple recently contacted me about an issue with PAL Canon AVCHD camcorders whose field dominance is interpreted wrong by FCP some people and I complained about in an Apple forum, so I think they're working on some serious development. I'm already happy with the sw, even if I miss some features, so I'll be more than happy with any improvement.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Neal Sickles
on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:03:55 am

So, I've been out of the loop on this debate and came across this post. I'm wondering how much longer will FCP 7 be functional on OS 10. This summer they'll be coming out with 10.9. What if FCP 7 doesn't work? Will we have to keep it on a separate machine or partition?

I'm still on FCP 7 and am gearing up to make the move to a new editing program. I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying the X experience. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks,
Neal

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:14:20 am

That's the same problem I was mumbling about, as I need to open old FCP7 projects and export to tape from time to time. I keep a drive running Snow Leopard and FCS. When I am in need, I boot from that drive and work. Next generation Mac's won't likely have a FW, I wonder if FCPS will "see" an adaptor as a viable output. Most likely I won't sell my 2008 Mac Pro and keep it somewhere in my office for another couple of years in case I upgrade to the next MacPro or iMac.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:34:41 am

Fabrizio,

about adapters:

we have a Retina Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt to Firewire800 cable.
When we work with an HDV deck, (almost never, these days, once a year for a client who wants something from ages ago ;-)), I just connect it with a Firewire400-Firewire800 cable. Works fine in Final Cut Pro 7.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:47:21 pm

Great news!
Thank you Mathieu.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Neal Sickles
on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:05:59 pm

Thanks guys. Also, I'm curious what the corporate industry is doing. What are shows like the Conan O'Brien show are doing? I know they made a hilarious mock video of FCP X when it first came out, but I wonder if shows like theirs are keeping FCP X or moving to something else. Any word on that?

Btw, here's that Conan video in case you haven't seen it. It just makes me crack up!!!

Neal

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:23:16 pm

The video is funny. Well made, it made me laugh. Of course you could do the same starring another NLE of your choice. I can't tell about corporate industries, but the more I use FCPX, the more I think it's almost perfect for my line of work. I am even liking audio editing with the new audio waveforms and the handles at both edges that stay there even when you trim the clip's edge shorter or longer, the stereo channels that play on both right and left after you switch to double mono and turn off one of the two, the graphic show of the waveforms that is proving to be very accurate, I can add a background sound long clip while in a zoomed in view knowing I will be able to blade it later and cut to measure without other audio clips being overlapped and forgotten... Well, I think I can edit faster and better now, so I'm pretty happy with FCPX. Now they can even change the name to iMovie pro, I'll keep it :-)

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:22:41 am

[Neal Sickles] "What are shows like the Conan O'Brien show are doing?"

Here's what the Conan guys like:

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 6, 2013 at 12:54:49 pm

[T. Payton] "I think we beat the "fcpx launch was bad" horse dead pretty well after the launch last year, so no reason to resurrect it. "

Wait it was two years ago wasn't it?
Has it been that long that we all forget.
Or is everyone discounting the first year ;)

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:01:47 pm

I'm counting on the basis of the FCP X calendar. Thusly:

June 2011-June 2012 -- Year 1 of FCP X
June 2012-June 2013 -- Year 2 of FCP X

Thusly, the launch was in the first year of FCP X or "last year" according to FCP X reckoning.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Chaim Mehlman
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:19:48 am

This is not exactly FCP7 after some time, more like FCP X after one day. Hope it's not too off the topic.
Having used iMovie once in an emergency and being utterly exasperated with its clumsiness and limitations, I couldn't help being put off by X's similar seeming interface. It took me at least 3 or 4 times as long to do a very simple 7-minute video in iMovie as it would have taken in FCP 7. Especially the sound! That and FCP X's absence of round-tripping with Motion, which I use every day. I've become very comfortable with FCP 7, nothing unique there. But...
I do occasional multi-camera shoots and have had to struggle through them with FCP 7. I'm playing the timeline and clicking on the camera angle choices, and suddenly the playback stops dead and the playhead jumps backwards several seconds. At times this happens every few seconds or so! Especially with music concerts, this is maddening. Forget about flow and rhythm, just slog through bit by bit and get the thing done. I've consulted the forums etc, and nobody knows what to do. No response from Apple, let alone action. I'm thinking, how about Premiere...
Yesterday I downloaded the X trial version and read up on multiclip editing in X. Then plunged in, imported 4 hour-long angles from my most recent concert video and did a test multiclip edit in X. Same computer, same clips, same everything. I couldn't believe it -- not a glitch. Talk about fast. Felt like I was doing a live switch again. Had to stop myself talking to the camera operators on talkback.
Another unexpected time-saver was the default roll-edit function of the trimmer. If your "live" cuts are a fraction too early or late (happens often), adjusting them is very quick. In 7 you have to reselect the roll edit function if you've done anything else in the meantime. That's a lot of key presses.
I'm still bewildered by the X interface, but it's early days I suppose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]