FORUMS: list search recent posts

BVE Expo in the UK

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
BVE Expo in the UK
on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:15:32 pm

Went to BVE in London today, a much smaller scale version of NAB, couldn't help noticing that there were a number of FCPX seminars running that were VERY well attended including a couple by Larry Jordan where there were a large amount of people. Certainly a lot of interest around it at least.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: BVE Expo in the UK
on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:44:17 pm

I've also heard the FCPX seminars are packed.
You know no one is using FCPX and absolutely no one is professionally interested in it either. ;)
It must a lot of "soccer pops" interested in cutting videos for their footballer kids.
Curious if you're seeing "X" on the show flow and in who's booths?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:10:30 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Curious if you're seeing "X" on the show flow"

Just one stand, saw PPro on a few though, not so much Avid!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:58:50 pm

I've also heard the FCPX seminars are packed.
You know no one is using FCPX and absolutely no one is professionally interested in it either. ;)
It must a lot of "soccer pops" interested in cutting videos for their footb*ller kids.

*Seems a reference to a person who plays a very popular sport around the world, is considered an obscenity by the COW. So if you're a sports shooter in the UK you might not be able to talk about that here ;) On the other hand baseball analogies are OK.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:45:58 pm

went to go see Ken Livingstone talk at the LSE instead!

the man is a classic - was there much PPro did you see?

- heard Trish Meyer was doing some stuff? (more AE combo hard core likely - tad sorry I missed it in retrospect...)

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:25:47 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " was there much PPro did you see? "

More than any other NLE that's for sure

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:49:12 pm

I know I pound the drum - but I really am hearing it rather a bit lately - the freelance agencies are starting to drop FCP7/Premiere 6 as a list combo a few times?

you would have to think there's a fair few people dropping hooks in the water for PPro adoption the last couple of months. It's careful monkey jungle business this - everyone's looking to see what the other is doing - but there's definitely a developing taste for offering PPro.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:12:12 pm

BVE was full of students to be honest. The biggest draw I saw was how to get your content onto YouTube.

Adobe had the biggest stand, but Avid's was no slouch. Apple had no stand at all but FCPx was on the Soho Editors (who charge for training) stand, along with Smoke. Did I mention they make money from training?

I'm v. impressed with FCPx but do not think it is taking London by storm. Big places are not going to go Apple in a hurry any time soon. I will try and move some work onto it when I get the chance, so I can give it more of a run for the money, but that is going to have to be with a good client. (I think I'm more likely to get a CMX Omni, Editware or Paltex request in the next 6 months than an FCPx one.)

Avid were showing Interplay Central (web browser) and Interplay Sphere (works with MC) remotely with media at Pinewood, concurrently having demos from the same media at a couple of places in Europe. This is not a cheap option.

Adobe were showing Anywhere with the server on a laptop under the stand. They say they are rolling it out for LANs only at the moment.

Both are quite interesting concepts that are now coming along...

Of course Quantel were showing this with QTube between Amsterdam and Newbury a couple of years ago and were nowhere to be seen...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:21:25 pm

[Trevor Asquerthian] "BVE was full of students to be honest. The biggest draw I saw was how to get your content onto YouTube.
"

Thursday afternoon is student day I'm afraid. I had a chat with a high-up person in the media dept at Bournemouth University, they've switched from FCP7 to Avid.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:29:54 pm

[Steve Connor] "Thursday afternoon is student day I'm afraid. I had a chat with a high-up person in the media dept at Bournemouth University, they've switched from FCP7 to Avid."

Did they buy Isis? Were they looking at Interplay?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:35:16 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Trevor Asquerthian] "BVE was full of students to be honest. The biggest draw I saw was how to get your content onto YouTube.
"

Thursday afternoon is student day I'm afraid."

Yep, but I went on Tuesday ;-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:28:04 pm

[Trevor Asquerthian] "BVE was full of students to be honest."

So FCPX is the future.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "The biggest draw I saw was how to get your content onto YouTube."

The future of distribution (maybe).

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Apple had no stand at all but FCPx was on the Soho Editors (who charge for training) stand, along with Smoke. Did I mention they make money from training?"

Which may mean there's an interest in learning.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Big places are not going to go Apple in a hurry any time soon."

I'd agree. That's why I think it will be young people. Future video post entrepreneurs. It'll happen by attrition.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "(I think I'm more likely to get a CMX Omni, Editware or Paltex request in the next 6 months than an FCPx one.)"

Ha, I started at a facility that had CMX 340 and Datatron before it was sold to Paltex. Hmm, maybe Paltex was the FCPX of linear systems.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:40:41 pm

[Craig Seeman] "maybe Paltex was the FCPX of linear systems.
"

Paltex was when they wimped out and started conforming with the CMX model... the Datatron ST5 had a definite FCPx ring to it (*shudders* as he - almost- remembers the code to make a dissolve)

I did overhear some facility guys boasting about how cheap they picked up a Quad machine... so it can't have been all students :-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 1, 2013 at 12:37:02 am

[Trevor Asquerthian] "I did overhear some facility guys boasting about how cheap they picked up a Quad machine"

They paid for it? I was under the impression some facilities will pay you to take one a way just so they can free up their storage space.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "the Datatron ST5 had a definite FCPx ring to it (*shudders* as he - almost- remembers the code to make a dissolve)"

That does bring back memories. Used it with an Aston CG.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:14:03 am

[Craig Seeman] "So FCPX is the future."

[Craig Seeman] "[Trevor Asquerthian] "Big places are not going to go Apple in a hurry any time soon."

I'd agree. That's why I think it will be young people. Future video post entrepreneurs. It'll happen by attrition.
"

please - I'm being serious here - come on.
you can call narwhales and unicorns until the cows come home.

As currently conceived: FCPX boasts no future entrepreneurs, and exactly no paid market job traction.

it's an increasingly easy hit this.
where exactly are your entrepreneurs?

FCPX itself is basically mis-cued software, and worse again, facilities - post FCP7 debacle - now completely lack any key mid-term vendor trust in apple.

That is a critical problem craig. Apple have not adressed the madness of the FCP studio kill.
the scale of that was jaw dropping. the simple fact that apple could torch all that in broad daylight with no warning - that everything went - FCP server: that was handling a metric ton of commercial stuff across london, seriously - some of the suite kill was surreal. there was no way Apple were not aware that there were serious systems involved.

FCPX has incredibly difficult issues on multiple levels. It is beyond a joke.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:35:50 am

'cept lots of younguns want to learn it.
It'll take a bit for some of them to become entrepreneurs.
Some might not have felt the FCS pain.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:38:01 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "That is a critical problem craig. Apple have not adressed the madness of the FCP studio kill. the scale of that was jaw dropping."

True that. I know this gets blown off as "grow up, everyone does it" but in point of fact no one else has ever done it at this scale. The impact is still unknown.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:00:56 am

I'm not sure how they can fix that except move forward and hope there's a compelling cost benefit.
Unless one is leaving the OS entirely (the MacPro replacement may be the telling moment for some), given the price, anyone using Adobe can have FCPX sitting around to play with (and I don't doubt that's about were it sits for many).

I do think as time goes on there are new kids who didn't feel the pain. I also think a lot of them are taking a bit of that shiny Apple. That so many want to learn, that the FCPX Techniques forum seems so busy, is an indicator of that.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:28:02 am

[Craig Seeman] "That so many want to learn, "

And, on the other hand, those demos may be full of people who want to take a good hard look before they finally write it off. Who knows.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:44:51 am

I agree Craig I see real traction happening with FCPX among young filmmakers, far more than Premiere or Avid. Here in LA it's finally being seen as a legitimate NLE by those who've actually checked it out since the Conan "review". The other evidence to me is the amount of decent plug-ins and FX being released for X vs. other NLE's - just tons of useful stuff at great prices.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:45:09 am

I went Tuesday and met some of our students there. Any day is student day if they write "freelance" on their badges. I got three tickets sent to me, and one said VIP, so i used that one and got a free bag from Root6 and a coffee. I have no idea why I should be a VIP.

As for the sessions, most sessions are full most of the time - I think FCPX is junk, but I would have watched had there one been on at the time I was nearby. The only session I've been to which was nearly empty was the one at IBC 1996 at which I was the main speaker. I was talking about how DV and desktop editing would change the world....

Around the hall, which used to be full of Macs, I saw one iMac and no FCPX. PPro and Avid were what people were running.

This year I hardly bothered with the cameras, as every time I go there are more and more small black machines that look the same but have different numbers on them. Where once there was an Ikegami HL79 and a couple of rivals, now it's like a consumer show with a new model every week.

If you want to do UAV helicopter filming, there were lots of those. I asked the owner of the biggest if the CAA have taken an interest yet. He mumbled an bit and said no, but the thing is very much big enough to kill you if it falls out of the sky.

Does anyone who went think that it's gone upmarket? Has someone noticed that not everyone in the UK wants to try and get a hotel in Amsterdam yet again, lovely city that it is?

Bernie

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:45:57 am

[Bernard Newnham] "I saw one iMac and no FCPX. PPro and Avid were what people were running." Yes, mostly on Macs

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:25:01 pm

I went yesterday and had a great time getting there.

I took the river bus and then the Emirates Cable Car over the Thames to the Excel Centre. The Cable car is great experience if slightly scary when in the middle and its swaying in the wind.

The Exhibition seemed smaller than usual with less stands and less stuff on the stands that were there. Felt to me like it was a recession show but I made contact with Miller Tripod people to give them feedback on the Solo Tripod with Compass head I bought last year and said hello to the leasing company who have helped our business recently.

What I had wanted to attend was the presentation by Philip Bloom, showing 4k footage, but I got there too late. I did say hello to him briefly on the Canon stand but couldn't think of anything riverting to say to him apart from thanking him for all his tutorials and product reviews.

The only presentation I saw a bit of was an Adobe one with Simon Walker.

So for me the highlight was the journey and watching the sunset as I travelled back over the Thames.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:42:12 pm

Waterloo Sunset is playing now...

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:06:14 pm

Yes - completely OT - the cable car is worth a trip -

A small joy was on the Hitachi stand, where I was given this -

He turns out to be a USB stick. I shall obviously henceforth always buy Hitachi

Bernie

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:28:44 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Waterloo Sunset is playing now..."

"Dirty old river, must you keep rolling
Flowing into the night
People so busy, makes me feel dizzy
Taxi light shines so bright
But I don't need no friends
As long as I gaze on waterloo sunset
I am in paradise."

And now all the Kinks fans sigh as the 4 part harmonies take over on the la la's.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:42:05 pm

5556_img2209.jpg.zip

La La La

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:47:15 pm

Ah there we are - La La La

The Thames is now a clean river but don't let Ray Davies know. With the greatest respect a special cigarette was prepared and given to him at a concert in Exeter in 1973.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:41:08 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Waterloo Sunset is playing now...

"

And you are in paradise?

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:36:53 pm

Not quite, but I have to be a touch pedantic -

Waterloo Bridge at sunset.

I was walking across once and stopped to admire the view. After a while I realised that another chap was doing the same a few feet away. He was Richard Harris, who, it seemed, lived at the Savoy near the north end of the bridge.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:40:11 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Not quite, but I have to be a touch pedantic -"

Your not being pedantic, your being a name dropper. I'm being pedantic.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:01:22 pm

[Craig Seeman] "anyone using Adobe can have FCPX sitting around to play with (and I don't doubt that's about were it sits for many)."

thats absolutely true - I do. I will never stop going on about the effects performance and the built in masking/relighting tools for post production.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:36:39 pm

"You're not being pedantic, your being a name dropper. I'm being pedantic."

That's the trouble with working for the BBC all your life - you forget that sensitivity to name dropping.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:28:30 am

[Trevor Asquerthian] "BVE was full of students to be honest."

[Craig Seeman] "So FCPX is the future."

Or perhaps it isn't, of course. Could go either way.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "The biggest draw I saw was how to get your content onto YouTube."

[Craig Seeman] "The future of distribution (maybe)."

or perhaps it isn't, of course. Channel hopping though 50 channels of crap is bad enough, but trying to do it through 50 million channels of crap doesn't lend itself to a pleasant and relaxing evening in front of the box.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Apple had no stand at all but FCPx was on the Soho Editors (who charge for training) stand, along with Smoke. Did I mention they make money from training?"

[Craig Seeman] "Which may mean there's an interest in learning."

Which may mean absolutely nothing other than that some people might want to learn how to edit with FCPX, much like some people will want to learn how to be an S&M mistress. Doesn't mean either will become mainstream occupations.

Hey Craig, fixed your post for you. You're welcome.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:46:28 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Which may mean absolutely nothing other than that some people might want to learn how to edit with FCPX, much like some people will want to learn how to be an S&M mistress. Doesn't mean either will become mainstream occupations."

You see, life perspective is what it's all about here. We're not just insular creatives with a limited world-view.

BTW, how are the benefits packages associated with S&M? Dental, vision? Matching 401K?

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:24:27 pm

I went on Wednesday - had 2 things planned to see - an FSI monitor and some sort of tripod-top slider. Nice to see the FSI monitor 'in the flesh' - truly superb piece of kit. Bought a Varavon slider, which is just the business for keeping in the bag. Caught Larry Jordan's excellent FCPX Colour Correction seminar too. All in all I enjoyed it more than last year.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]