FORUMS: list search recent posts

TouchEdit for the iPad

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lang
TouchEdit for the iPad
on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:56:26 pm

Here is the article in the COW Tutorial forum about the iPad editor:
http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/touchedit-app-brings-pro-editing-to...

Lots of limitations currently but plans are to continue with upgrades. Anyone using H.264 might find it interesting since it supports metadata and FCP XML. Do you feel this is a toy (taking the paradigm of editing with physical film too far) or has a serious place in a digital workflow? Anyone used it? Oliver Peters?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: TouchEdit for the iPad
on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:32:13 pm

Its interesting, and seems well thought out. I could see doing sellects on it, especially when they get the AFF version going. I'll undoubtedly give it a try, but frankly the constant transcoding will probably put me off. Here's Shane's take:

http://lfhd.net/2013/01/26/touch-edit-a-first-look/

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:21:13 pm

I haven't tested it because it requires an iPad 2 or 3 and I have the first gen model. Here are two more reviews:

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/hands-on-with-the-new-touchedit...

http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/pro/1051-edit-your-footage-on-the-i...

The main issue Scott mentioned is that you cannot relink to the high-res media once you send the FCPXML to FCP X. That's an X limitation. There are some workarounds, but it would require Xto7, 7toX and FCP7. The use of H264 is only for offline/proxy purposes and because that's native for iOS.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:14:32 pm

I always get momentarily excited by these gizmos, but almost as often, forty minutes later I'm thinking "why?" I mean, for me. The logistics just don't make sense. For me, the best solution for an ultra-portable "sellects" station would still be the Macbook Air. The trackpad is as responsive as a touchscreen, and my fingers don't get in the way of what I'm looking at. I have real, tactile buttons to push. I can use my NLE of choice, and I can plug in a small bus-powered SSD drive with full res copies of my source ProRes or DNx files. No transcoding. It just doesn't make much practical sense to me. I DO like the idea of the iPad as a control surface, and have enjoyed my few ventures down that path.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:49:08 pm

Yes, using the iPad to control FCPX and possibly Resolve would be interesting although I think there is another thread on that bemoaning the lack of haptics on the iPad.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:07:34 am

I've really enjoyed using the iPad as a audio control surface for both mixing and plug-in control.

Return to posts index

Dan Lebental
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:36:23 am

Bear in mind that this design took into consideration its use by non-editors. Particularly Directors and Producers and other Department heads who need a simpler interface without a steep learning curve but can still be incorporated into the pro editorial environment. It is meant to be an on set, on the go device and the emphasis is on mobile communication and collaboration. I have been a power user of Avids for over two decades and I do know how intimidating the modern NLE's can be. This complexity helps for intricate editing but it doesn't necessarily make for great editing. That inspiration comes from the mind. My goal is to democratize the process and provide a quick and nimble tool that can be used in ways that even a laptop could not and thus ultimately giving back valuable time. Stay tuned for the next update and you will see some familiar features and some other features that are more about mobile collaboration.

Dan Lebental ACE

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:24:39 am

Dan, its a cool looking device, especially for the price, and I'll definitely be giving it a try when you add AFF. It may not work for my little niche--because of the time to transcode--but I certainly appreciate what you've achieved. The tutorials, btw, were quite useful.

Since you're here, I have a couple of quick questions if you've a mind to answer:

1) You mention it being used on the set. How does that work, transcode-wise? Is it a separate feed coming off the camera and capturing h.264 in real time while embedding TC? So that you are not transcoding but matching time code to a similar file? You could probably load that up pretty quick, I would guess.

2) The 8 frame poster makes a lot of sense if you are working @24fps. Is there or will there be a way to adjust to a 10 frame poster for those of us who spend much of our time at 29.97?

TIA, and congratulations with this. AND, break a leg.

Return to posts index

Dan Lebental
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:54:57 am

Thank you for the intelligent questions.

What I am suggesting is that we transcode straight out of the camera. The DIT station could handle the transcoding. In the case of Cannon 5Ds and 7Ds it can play the files directly but would still need a transfer station. I am told that cameras are coming out that can make simultaneous proxies as well. Your suggestion of an H.264 recorder off the camera feed would work as well, possibly out of video assist. The real magic will be posting footage on the cloud via dropbox so I can get it simultaneously in the edit bay and have instant access to comment on coverage or eye lines etc. I will be doing a Pilot next month and I'll let you know how we set up exactly.

I did have it in my spec to have the filmstrips adjustable for frame rate but had to put that aside for now as not to go down one of the many rabbit holes that we went down the last year and a half. I would like to reexamine this once we get past the critical features.

Dan Lebental ACE

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:56:40 am

[Dan Lebental] " I will be doing a Pilot next month and I'll let you know how we set up exactly."

I'd love to hear about that. Will you be implementing AFF for it?

Return to posts index

Dan Lebental
on Feb 28, 2013 at 6:03:22 am

Yes. I will have AAF by then.

Dan Lebental ACE

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:16:03 am

The real magic will be posting footage on the cloud via dropbox so I can get it simultaneously in the edit bay and have instant access to comment on coverage or eye lines etc.

This sounds fantastic.

I will be doing a Pilot next month and I'll let you know how we set up exactly.

Looking forward to this. Will pick up a copy of the app in the meantime.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Dan Lebental
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:35:16 am

Thanks so much Sandeep.

Dan Lebental ACE

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:55:38 pm

Thanks, Oliver. Lots of reactionary comments in all these links. My physical film editing is minimal using a simple splicer to begin with and then a flatbed editor. But I certainly don't get confused by film strips moving from left to right under the playhead! Still seems an interesting attempt for an early version with options for less skeuomorphics in the future. Limiting one's HD video to H.264 isn't bad for the intended purpose and device but if video is not shot in that natively (I am still HDV until I step up to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera), then it's not such an easy fit in the workflow. And you certainly need to make ingesting original video easy. I think I'll wait and see on this. The appeal of being so mobile and working almost anywhere offline is attractive though on a tool that's lighter than the MacBook Air and with a better screen. Since getting this iPad for Christmas, it has changed what I do on the iMac. I agree with the basic premise of developing TouchEdit, that the touch experience adds an intangible value to the experience of what you are doing. More so so than even voice commands or tapping on a small trackpad or with a mouse click.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Dan Lebental
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:56:03 am

Actually the problem Scott had is because he had spaces in his file names which fcpxml does not allow. That's not a TouchEdit thing. TouchEdit relinks very well in FCP if the file names have no spaces. I know it seems weird that Apple put a file name limitation but for now that is where its at.

Dan Lebental ACE

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:16:57 am

Yes, I saw the space issue mentioned later in the comments. I was referring to FCP X general issues in relinking to media files where some of the parameters don't match. Not necessarily Scott's specific files. FCP X is not as forgiving as FCP 7, by which I mean that when it doesn't relink, you can't tell it do it anyway like in FCP 7. But, I'm glad the issue is one that's defined and does work for your workflow. Thanks for the clarification.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:28:45 am

PS: There may be more to the file name space issue. I have had no problem moving files with spaces from FCP X via FCPXML to Adobe apps. This uses the Xto7 application, but the file name in Audition (in this case) still has spaces. So it may be a relinking issue within FCP X and not the FCPXML format.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:59:09 am

Thanks for the info Dan - I just picked up the 128GB iPad yesterday just to try out your app! Hoping to use it on my next feature :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Dan Lebental
on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:29:29 am

Lance. That's fantastic. Thank you for being an early adaptor. I promise that you will see more and more robust and collaborative features.

Dan Lebental ACE

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:12:02 pm

Lance, looking forward to a future post of your experience with TouchEdit on a feature! If you can find the time, that would be quite the proof of TouchEdit's facility within a large workflow and an accomplishment for the iPad to support. Would be very interested in how you manage space requirements on the larger iPad as I may upgrade from the 64GB version this year. Thanks for the post.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:16:27 pm

There is an interesting article at http://postpost.tv/2011/09/fcpxml/ where Jonathan is creating xml manually.
He adds a %20 for a space in file names, perhaps that what adobe etc do?

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]