FORUMS: list search recent posts

More idiotic newbie questions...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Asquerthian
More idiotic newbie questions...
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:04:29 am

Well I'm getting some use out of the 10.0.6 trial... and quite a bit of it I like (although finessing seems a bit clunky, but that may well be me)

Is there...

Match frame?... well searching for 'match frame' doesn't seem to result in much but I'm sure there is one

Toggle source / timeline shortcut?

Timecode display that will show me different timecodes for connected clips (i.e. can I check sync - or see which way I am sliding stuff... the little timecode window doesn't make much sense a lot of the time but I'm sure that is me)

Freeze frame (FCP7 - SHIFT N) within a sequence (actually I want to edit a title generator but I can't figure out how to do that... I presume I need motion?, but making a freeze frame rather than have it animate off would be a solution)

Export frame (or section of timeline as QT)?

View codec in the timeline (e.g. see what has been 'optimised' and what is still H264)?

Dupe detection?

Out of Sync indicators?

Restrict to vertical movement only? (i.e. keep in sync as rearranging)

Reattach video to connected clip audio? (i.e. 'collapse' it to one clip)

many thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: More idiotic newbie questions...
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:05:41 am

Match Frame?
kinda same as legacy - shift+F, which finds the clip in the bin in legacy, does same in X, but since the event is also the viewer in a way, it cues up the clip with in/out set

Toggle source / timeline shortcut?
cmd+1 and cmd+2 - is that what it was in legacy? can't remember

Timecode display that will show me different timecodes?
Nope. Best would be to turn on clip skimming in timeline. Mouse over clip and you'll se it's TC in the TC window. If you have snapping on you can snap to the playhead and compare clips or elements.

Freeze frame
option F is the new way. In the timeline it'll freeze a frame and insert it. Or you can match frame and freeze one in the event and edit that into the timeline. There is also hold frame, which will do similar to the former, but will ease into it with a speed ramp. That's shift+H. It's under the little retiming menu on the right. To show retiming, press cmd+R.

Export frame / range
The little share button on far right, middle vertically. An option is save frame. You can also choose numerous QT/DVD/YouTube, etc. Pretty much similar to legacy share function, but much better. You should get compressor 4 so you can put your own prefs in the menu.

View codec in the timeline
I guess highlight a clip and look in the inspector. You can also see if the app is doing any background functions by clicking the little % clock next to the TC window to bring up the background tasks.

Dupe detection?
NO.

Out of Sync indicators?
NO. Try to never break up a clip. IOW, if the clip has audio, leave it connected to the clip. Your life will be easier. Once you break up a clip, there is no correlation between the two at all.

Restrict to vertical movement only? (i.e. keep in sync as rearranging)"
Same as legacy. Hold shift. But it's kinda wacky. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to work. You have to hold shift first, or after you click or something.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:12:23 am

Thanks v. much for that Bret. Here's a few thoughts

[Bret Williams] "Toggle source / timeline shortcut?
cmd+1 and cmd+2 - is that what it was in legacy? can't remember"

CMD+2 selects the timeline pane and CMD+3 selects the viewer pane. There doesn't seem to be an assignable shortcut to select the event window. I suspect this is a BUG as, according to the command editor, CMD+1 is supposed to 'go to event browser' whereas (on my machine) it does the exact same as Shift+CMD+1 - i.e. reveal/hide event library.

I'm happy with a single viewer most of the time, but I do like to compare timeline and event and there doesn't seem to be a toggle. If cued on event I can toggle to view timeline frame with CMD 2 but cannot toggle back to event as CMD 1 doesn't work as advertised.

[Bret Williams] "Freeze frame
option F is the new way. In the timeline it'll freeze a frame and insert it. Or you can match frame and freeze one in the event and edit that into the timeline. There is also hold frame, which will do similar to the former, but will ease into it with a speed ramp. That's shift+H. It's under the little retiming menu on the right. To show retiming, press cmd+R."

Thanks. Good knowledge. Seems like we are back to workarounds to avoid rippling the timeline with every speed change?

Does retime the audio, which is interesting.

No option to edit the speeds much though as far as I can see. (i.e. enter your own option for a speed.)

Any difference between (shift+n) 'normal' speed and (alt+cmd+r) 'reset speed'?

Any option to save a retime preset? (i.e. have a bin of speeds)

More queries:

Any way of navigating clips in timeline using keyboard?

Is there a spreadsheet available of all the commands / descriptions from the Command Editor (alt + Cmd + k)? (i.e. not just the ones that are assigned).

again, thanks for any thoughts on this.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 28, 2013 at 12:31:17 am

I don't know what to tell ya. Cmd+1 takes you to the event browser. It's right up there in the window menu. No need to go hunding in the kb config for something as simple as switching windows in an app. That's how mac apps work across the board. The shortcuts for the different windows are in the window menu. There's also a combo for the event window, although there isn't much point as it's just a reflection of the event browswer. Go to the window menu and look at the hotkeys under "go to." You can see the background change as you switch between them.

Speed changing can also be done with a range so you can have multiple changes across the clips. It's not that obvious. To dial in a speed drag the little orange bar. It shouldn't ripple the timeline if it's a standalone connected clip. That's a nice thing about X. If you're worried about rippling use cmd+opt+ up arrow to pull it out of it's primary or secondary before adjusting. In old days of legacy, you'd have to first match frame, adjust speed, and then edit it back in. Avid was same way for a time. All in all, the speed controls are immensely better and faster to use than legacy, but yeah, they could use some refining. No ya can't make a bin of speed controls.

Can't really navigate (highlight) the clips without mouse. You can navigate the edits with arrows, and highlight clip with "C" but that's vertically hampered.

I think someone here made a pdf of all the commands. Search and google will probalby find it. Good luck! It's really an interesting fun app that's more powerful and more professional than legacy in so many ways, but still playing catchup in others. You could learn Premiere 6, which is FCP 8 in many ways, but FCP 3 in others. What ya gonna do.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:48:41 am

[Bret Williams] " Cmd+1 takes you to the event browser."
OK, something funky with my setup here... using the window menu does work as advertised.

Reassigning the function in the command editor to a key combo other than CMD+1 also works... and gives me the functionality I was after (although a toggle would be preferable).

Reassigning the function in the command editor back to CMD+1 - results in 3 entries popping up:
Go to Event Browser: CMD+6
Go to Event Browser: SHIFT+CMD+1
Go to Event Browser: CMD+W

time to delete preferences I guess...

Agree that CS6 (and CS7 they are showing) is interesting too... certainly there were some players looking at the 'anywhere' concept with more than passing interest at BVE in London this week. I know Pr is similar enough to most other NLEs I use to pick up in short order. FCPx is somewhat different, plus I am using it (as a helper app) on actual paid work.

Apple are too closed and untrustworthy for complex, long-term, installations though. Avid are in trouble (partly due to many of their long standing customers (inc protools) staying 2 or 3 versions back and don't need to upgrade).

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:16:28 pm

[Bret Williams] "Out of Sync indicators?
NO. Try to never break up a clip. IOW, if the clip has audio, leave it connected to the clip. Your life will be easier. Once you break up a clip, there is no correlation between the two at all.
"

So what is your best practice when you need to separate audio from the visual?

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]