FORUMS: list search recent posts

SoShare - its own post

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
SoShare - its own post
on Feb 23, 2013 at 9:10:49 pm

I happened to mention in the thread below that I'd found (on the No Film School blog) a new file sharing technology called SoShare, which is currently in Beta. I posted this on the AE forum as well, and a few people seemed to be interested in it.

I have tried it over the last couple of days, and the speed of transfer beat out my Dropbox account by over 2x. As I said, it's in beta, but the development team reached out to me, and have requested that anyone trying it out (http://www.soshareit.com) please feel free to contact them directly with input:

soshare@soshareit.com

Not to put words in their mouth, but it appears that they are eager to make this fly, and become the file delivery/transfer tool of choice. At 1TB transfers for free, I'm in...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: SoShare - its own post
on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:35:46 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Not to put words in their mouth, but it appears that they are eager to make this fly, and become the file delivery/transfer tool of choice. At 1TB transfers for free, I'm in..."

Looks good, I'll check it out. Another good one to know about is WeTransfer. Up to 2GB, completely free, no signup or plugins required. Rock solid and completely reliable.

http://www.wetransfer.com

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 24, 2013 at 10:44:36 pm

I use WeTransfer all the time. One of the easiest for clients of the various options.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 24, 2013 at 11:20:36 pm

Yes...I have a client who insists upon WeTransfer because it's so easy. What I'm liking about SoShare is that it's just as easy, and blazing fast. To me, Dropbox is pretty easy, but I have clients who can't figure it out for the life of them...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2013 at 12:42:53 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Dropbox is pretty easy, but I have clients who can't figure it out for the life of them..."

The trouble with DropBox is that typically people use it to share. I personally do not want to be connected to someone else's DropBox account in order to share their content on my own DropBox. If I only have a free account, their material goes against my 2GB limit. Most DropBox users do not go the extra step to make a link public and simply send the link when posting a file to share.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Feb 25, 2013 at 12:50:44 am

[Oliver Peters] "I personally do not want to be connected to someone else's DropBox account in order to share their content on my own DropBox. If I only have a free account, their material goes against my 2GB limit. Most DropBox users do not go the extra step to make a link public and simply send the link when posting a file to share."

Agreed. Dropbox is a great service but its sharing model makes it a PITA for me more often than not. 99% of the time I just need to send a big file. I don't really care about sharing or sync.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:35:02 am

I gave up on Dropbox because editors and others just dumped lots of big files in a common folder which I had no interest in syncing with. It really does need to be managed by a post supervisor which docos never have.

For sheer speed, I always fall back on ftp when editors, graphics people and composers can master the simple task of using Filezilla. SoShare is certainly worth looking at if it is also peer to peer like ftp. I use a NAS backup unit which is always on with a simple Linux ftp server onboard.

For small stuff or technophobe clients I sometimes use the Yousendit add on for Thunderbird email which let's me send an email, add an attachment that then gets handled via Yousendit. Nice for small simple things like stills from a grade or a mix file.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:16:47 am

[Oliver Peters] "The trouble with DropBox is that typically people use it to share. I personally do not want to be connected to someone else's DropBox account in order to share their content on my own DropBox. If I only have a free account, their material goes against my 2GB limit. Most DropBox users do not go the extra step to make a link public and simply send the link when posting a file to share."

I use Dropbox all the time for approvals, and sometimes transfers. I never share the box, but send a link instead. I generally ask others to do the same. If you send a link instead of share, there is no space penalty. I DO pay for an account, so if I do occasionally have to share, its not too taxing. On the receiving end of things, I'll get large files via Aspera delivery, which is far faster than anything I can muster from my end.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:24:17 pm

I set up my Dropbox structure much the way I set up my client folders structure on my graphics machine. On the Dropbox, I have a folder set to "client name", then I have a "to client" folder, and a "from client" folder. At the beginning of the project, most activity is oriented around the "from client" folder - they are sending me logos, video clips, collateral materials for reference, and whatever else I need for the research and production phases. As I start to develop ideas, I start sending stills and sometime small animations (although I prefer sending these via my YouTube channel - I can control who sees what, and the process is brainless for the client).

As the process concludes, I create a "FINAL DELIVERY" sub-folder in the same client folder, where I put deliverables. For control of knowing who has what, I request that the client delete the files from the Dropbox as they get them - it keeps things clean, and I know that they have received the file. I also have a "to client" folder on my graphics machine, so I can keep track of what's actually gone to the client once they've deleted the file. In this way, I can police the bandwidth usage of my account - for which I pay 100 dollars a year for 100GB - and keep track of who has received what. The system works quite well for me...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]