FORUMS: list search recent posts

Randy Ubillos responds

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Harb
Randy Ubillos responds
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:33:39 pm

32 minutes agoRandy Ubillos
None of the public reaction that we've seen so far has been a surprise.

That says it all right there. This was an answer to me asking him about the backlash.

Paul

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Randy Ubillos responds
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:48:04 pm

Responded where and to whom.
Provide link to substantiate, not that it's not credible, it's that there's no context.

Not being surprised about the public response doesn't mean all that much one way or the other beyond the fact they were doing something radical and knew it was incomplete. That there was no press conference or Apple home page splash already made it clear that they knew there was no reason to boast. That doesn't mean they are "ashamed" either and it doesn't mean they're abandoning professionals. It's incomplete and they probably know it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Return to posts index

David Geary
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:54:48 pm

if they aren't surprised why did they allow reviews on the app store initially only to pull them as they honest reviews came in. I call shenanigans.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:16:00 pm

They've pulled negative reviews? Last I checked that's all there was.

Return to posts index

David Geary
Re: andy Ubillos responds
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:19:11 pm

Must just be my laptop then...bravo to them for taking their medicine. Reviews can't be good.

Return to posts index

Nelson Torres
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:03:03 pm

Apple's not in the process of abandoning professionals. On 6-21-11 we were abandoned. How are you going to send your project out to get sound designed? Mixed? Color graded? How are assistants going to assemble scenes for editors to cut? On a lot of features you have two editors working at the same time, how do you do that? Plus this new klunky ass backward way of editing? My friend Apple has decided to pursue the lucrative video-blog/YouTube market.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:16:48 pm

[Nelson Torres] "pple's not in the process of abandoning professionals. On 6-21-11 we were abandoned. How are you going to send your project out to get sound designed? Mixed? Color graded?"

I'm a professional. I work with corporate clients. I also do local cable spots. Very few of my projects involve any of the above. I have been tapeless since late 2007. I haven't been abandoned. In fact it looks like my turnaround time on some projects will accelerate. I don't doubt a large part of the professional market more or less fits my description which is why they released FCPX in its current state.

Apple has made clear to those they've talked to that they will be adding more features that are needed by other professional. Of course they haven't made that clear to the broader user base. The problem is Apple's communication. In fact I think they are more likely to fix the product (add professional features) than fix their communication issues unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Nelson Torres
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:04:26 pm

Well if Apple just wants to hold onto the corporate & local cable spot output great! As they rightly should. It's a lucrative and respectably sized market. My issue is that they now have closed the door to scripted movie & television work and commercials. Without the ability to do the things I listed before plus this crazy timeline nonsense they have forsaken the entire entertainment business. Many editors just used Avid and fought to keep out FCP. It took years for us to get the recognition FCP deserved and guys like Walter Murch putting their reputation on the line. Brian Cassin and myself did the same for Showtime Networks. This release is a slap in our collective faces and we are totally justified in our anger. We can't go in and say "Yeah go ahead & upgrade to the new FCPX" That would be career suicide. So the Tech departments have to upgrade to spend their budget for the year (or permanently lose it) and they wind up reinstalling Avids. Now you can forget FCP ever coming back. They did it once but will not do it again.
I got rid of Avid in my own shop because it couldn't black tape on the fly. I used FCP to black all my tapes. One day I decided to lose Avid because FCP could do it all without all the compounding Avid issues. Now...well I purchased MC5.5. Not because I wanted to but because I had to.
You may be irritated that there are so many people kvetching about the new FCPX but in a couple of days it will subside and you will have a nice tranquil forum - albeit with a lot less contributors.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:54:30 pm

[Nelson Torres] "You may be irritated that there are so many people kvetching"

But this is an entirely different and valuable post. You listed the decision making process. There certainly is no practical reason for many facilities to move to FCPX. It simply does not have the feature set right now.

The only options are wait or move to another NLE. Actually given how far behind FCP7 is in certain features compared to Premiere or Avid, it makes sense to move. At this even if one wanted to hope for future features, you can't add FCP7 seats because they build. Anybody adding or purchasing has little choice but to look elsewhere.

Again, seeing complaints noting specifics is a good thing to read about. That's not kvetching at all.

It may be that Apple things that people will move right back to FCPX once it's feature competitive but there's lots of inertia in many businesses and for very good reason. One can't keep switching a facility back and forth and expect people to maintain productivity.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:19:26 pm

[Nelson Torres] "So the Tech departments have to upgrade to spend their budget for the year (or permanently lose it) and they wind up reinstalling Avids. Now you can forget FCP ever coming back. They did it once but will not do it again."

nuff said

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:07:57 pm

What is this? The x-files? 70 per cent of the app's established user base considers jumping ship and all Apple, who cares so much about their pro users, would have to say are four words: "we will fix this". Instead they keep quiet and/or it the, its true, super-cinical quote from Ubillos which in your book could mean that updates to address the source of the outrage are coming. Unreal!

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:52:02 pm

This was a response to me messaging him on Facebook. Surprisingly he responded. There is no link because it was a private message. He is easy to find on FB.

Paul

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:09:46 pm

[Paul Harb] "He is easy to find on FB. "

And it seems his responses are as cryptic as Steve Jobs' emails. So maybe we can speculate that he's going to be the next CEO.

I'm going to have to have a look at his wall.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]