FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where do those committed to FCPX hang out?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David A Fenton
Where do those committed to FCPX hang out?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:30:17 pm

I respect the fact that many of the regulars here are really *not* feeling FCPX - however is there a place on the COW (or elsewhere) where those who want to dig into it can congregate and get educated?

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
Re: Where do those committed to FCPX hang out?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:31:40 pm

I think you'll have to wait out the storm. I'm excited to use it and share with the knowledge base here, but for the next week or so, we are all just going to have to sift through the "this ain't a pro app" posts and wait.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:39:51 pm

I'm with you . . . just a place to have some intelligent discussion, analysis, learning.

See my sympathetic post here.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/4831

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:42:26 pm

ok..I guess this isn't the place for that, at least not at this time. :)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
We're here. Just busy RTFM
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:48:47 pm

I'm just coming in to post quickie issues that arise while I go down the line trying everything out in the manual. I'm really digging the quick keys and I love love love how to use a specific tool temporarily, just hold it down while you make your adjustment, release, and you're back in the previous tool you were in.
There are tons of new quick keys I have to learn, but I'm starting to understand the edit logic behind the timeline.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:36:09 pm

Yah, I tried to have a positive conversation over here without much luck: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/4289

It will get better, it always does but for now I just wrote out my thoughts on my personal site in hopes to have an encouraging conversation with friends for the next couple of weeks. If you got a site of your own you could try that.

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:54:30 pm

Really cool article. Thanks for sharing.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:43:48 pm

Why don't the two of you just get a room... :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:48:17 pm

[David Roth Weiss] " Why don't the two of you just get a room... :)"

Is three a crowd? I wouldn't mind being in that room too.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:54:06 pm

[Matt Callac] "Is three a crowd?"

Don't mind me me fellas, I'm just having fun. I don't take this stuff seriously, and I hope ya'll don't think I do.

Matt, are you running out of tacos already?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:07:00 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Don't mind me me fellas, I'm just having fun. I don't take this stuff seriously, and I hope ya'll don't think I do.

Matt, are you running out of tacos already?"

Tacos do sound good right about now. I think you just helped me select my evening meal.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09:04 pm

Speaking of crowds, David - are you thinking of hitting the "Special" LAFCPUG meeting next Tuesday? I might bring popcorn just 'cause I expect a jim-dandy bit of a hullaballoo. I'm definitely planning on doing a lot of listening.

Ooo... I wonder if Horton will set up an Octagon or a cage.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:11:24 am

I don't take any public forum that seriously ;) also there are some pretty decent online utorials appearing for FCPX, these will suffice for now.

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:58:12 pm

I like the color palette.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:51:55 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Why don't the two of you just get a room... :)"

ha ha...

though seriously... fcpx lovers out there... why can't you accept that the forum is a free open discussion space and some of the discussions are somewhat negative

we can all write in the same forum, whether we like or dislike it

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:05:49 pm

[Hector berrebi] "

though seriously... fcpx lovers out there... why can't you accept that the forum is a free open discussion space and some of the discussions are somewhat negative

we can all write in the same forum, whether we like or dislike it"

I understand what you're saying, but the flip side is. Imagine if you were a shooter and you're sent out to shoot some event in a public space and some people keep intentionally walking in front of your shots. I think you might get a little annoyed.

Don't get me wrong, I think apple made a couple (giant) misteps here. I wasn't excited after the apple event at NAB b/c I realized it meant having to learn new workflows and figure out an entirely new toolset. But now that it's here I'm enjoying learning it. But it's kinda a pain sorting through the clutter on the forum.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:48:14 pm

[Hector berrebi] "why can't you accept that the forum is a free open discussion space and some of the discussions are somewhat negative"

I have no problem with negative. People need that for evaluation. For me, there's a difference between negative and derogatory.

I like to see what issues people are having whether missing features, bugs, poor implementation. A huge number of posts are complaints without any specificity. It's venting and nothing more and the vent is filling the forum with a noxious smell.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:55:21 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It's venting and nothing more and the vent is filling the forum with a noxious smell."

The only thing Smelling up this forum is is FCPX.

Thats not how I feel, but I figured I might as well post that as a response because someone else most likely would have.

And that's just the type of unhelpful comment Craig is talking about.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:13:07 am

yup accepted...free forum...chest-beating hysteria....me likes.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:03:47 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Why don't the two of you just get a room... :)"

Yea but it's hard to concentrate when the people next store are screaming at each other about someone's EX.

I thought this was COW but it seems to be Welcome to the Monkey House.

Time to build some sound block infrastructure to the room.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:04:15 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if FCPX is worth even giving a shot but there's so much misinformation right now.

• Do I HAVE to use the Magnetic timeline or does switching from Select mode to Position mode really make the FCPX timeline work like FCP7?

• Is there really no way to copy/paste transform, crop, distort, etc... across clips or is it just that we haven't discovered how yet?

• What about passing projects between editors? Walt and Rich's podcast made it sound like that's nearly impossible but according to this post it's rather easy... Who's right?"

I have more questions but right now everybody still seems to be in the learning phase so it's hard to make an educated decision.

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:44:33 pm

Maybe in the iMovie forum?

Just kidding!

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:31:27 pm

I like the idea of trying to learn more about this software we just paid $300 for while we keep using FCP 7. I'm sure apple will roll out the professional features we all want, but for now, I would like to start understanding things a bit better and be ahead of the curve:

1. Where the hell is the mixer? Does it have one? (And I'm not talking about the individual sound clip mixer in the inspector pane, I need sliding faders) is it hidden somewhere?

2. I already posted this in another thread, but can you copy single effects from one clip to the other (in FCP7 you just drag the effect to the new clip)

3. How do select and export just a fragment of the timeline?

If I find out anything about these questions I will post here, and if YOU have the answers PLEASE post here.

Ok, I gotta go and keep feeding this love-hate relationship with FCPX.

Thanks,
Mario

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12:07 pm

[Mario Gongora] "1. Where the hell is the mixer? Does it have one? (And I'm not talking about the individual sound clip mixer in the inspector pane, I need sliding faders) is it hidden somewhere?"

No mixer that I have found. But each track has its own audio parameters in the inspector.

[Mario Gongora] "2. I already posted this in another thread, but can you copy single effects from one clip to the other (in FCP7 you just drag the effect to the new clip)"

From the manual:

Copy a clipʼs effects to another clip
1. In the Timeline, select the clip you want to copy the effects from, and choose Edit>Copy (orpress Command-C).

2.Select the clip you want to apply the effects to,and choose Edit>PasteEffects (orpressCommand- Option-V).
All the first clipʼs effects are applied to the second clip.

[Mario Gongora] "3. How do select and export just a fragment of the timeline?"

You can't in FCP X. Best way now is to "Export to Compressor" and do it there. It works fine in my testing just an unnecessary extra step.

tony

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:22:03 pm

Much appreciated Sir. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
New COW Forum: FCPX Techniques
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:13:55 pm

Hey guys,

We hear you loud and clear, so we've just created a new forum called FCP Techniques.

I'm moving some appropriate threads over that may have gotten lost in the noise, but by all means, feel free to repost your questions. It will take a few hours to draw a crowd....but I doubt much more than that. People are clearly ready to get back to work, and supporting that has always been our first priority here at Creative COW.

See you next door! :-)

Best,
Tim Wilson and the rest of the COW Team

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
Re: New COW Forum: FCPX Techniques
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:21:52 am

Thanks Tim... You guys rock!

tony

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:56:15 am

wow excellente!! gracias.

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:01:40 am

Finally! Thanks!
M

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:06:27 am

[David A Fenton] "David A Fenton Where do those committed to FCPX hang out?"

Try the local skatepark, headshops, moms basement, or apple mall store...

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:31:29 pm

Soctt, I think if they are committed they probably are in a state or private psychiatric hospital (committed being the operative word).

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]