FORUMS: list search recent posts

Goodbye to all that - Mac Pro withdrawn from sale in UK

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Goodbye to all that - Mac Pro withdrawn from sale in UK
on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:11:00 pm

So that's it for the current MacPro over here in Europe as reported by the Apple rumor sites. I've just checked the UK Apple Store and it says 'Currently unavailable'

So goodbye to all that or in the words of the 1961 Beyond The Fringe Futile Gesture sketch with Peter Cook and Jonathan Miller

' Get up in a crate Perkins, hop over to Bremen, take a shufti, don't come back . . . Goodbye Perkins . . . or is it au revoir? ' . . .' . .No Perkins'

With the acquisition of a beefed up 27" iMac a couple of weeks ago my 2008 MacPro sits neglected under a spare table. To my eyes it looks old fashioned already
and it will only get turned on for the odd occasion when someone wants DVD's made, in fact, I might as well sell it now although I don't think it will fetch much.

It has worked without a problem for over 4 years and I've no doubt that were I to keep using it it would continue working well. But time to move forward into the world of thunderbolt and and usb3.

So far the iMac has worked really well, FCPX runs very smoothly although until I get a thunderbolt drive I won't see the full benefit. At the moment I am running 2 Gtech 4GB drives through a Lacie Esata hub. this has almost doubled the speed but it is nowhere near a thunderbolt drive.

When the new MacPro is launched I'll review the situation although I think the iMac will keep me up to speed for a couple of years.

Still a sad day for the old MacPro.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: Goodbye to all that - Mac Pro withdrawn from sale in UK
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:16:48 pm

[Mark Dobson] "It has worked without a problem for over 4 years and I've no doubt that were I to keep using it it would continue working well. "

I'd be very surprised if your new iMac will make it through the same number of years under heavy load.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:28:03 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "I'd be very surprised if your new iMac will make it through the same number of years under heavy load."

Yes I'd probably agree with that statement, I've never had much luck with Apple displays.

But it is a very attractive machine.

And very fast.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:33:52 pm

Meanwhile, out in the wider world, Nvidia announcer the GTX Titan -
http://www.zdnet.com/nvidia-launches-1000-geforce-gtx-titan-desktop-graphic...

Won't fit in your iMac though

Bernie

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:49:29 pm

Perhaps it will fit in the new MacPro though

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 19, 2013 at 7:19:54 pm

[Steve Connor] "Perhaps it will fit in the new MacPro though"

Probably not. For all we know, the new "Mac Pro" will be an iMac with a single Xeon CPU, a Quadro M GPU, and the ability to install 64GB of RAM for a hefty premium.

An actual desktop just seems out of place for the Apple of 2013.

Return to posts index

Craig Whitaker
on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:09:45 pm

We have a brand new 27" iMac in the office, and I also have my 12 core Mac Pro in my room. Don't get me wrong, the iMac is great and in use most days during the week. But when I have to render either from C4D or AE (which is everyday) I'll choose my tower 100% of the time.

Best,
Craig

Craig Whitaker
Digital Design Director
Assembly
161 Leverington Avenue Suite 1002
Philadelphia, PA 19127
O: 215-487-2060
craig@assemblypix.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:43:23 am

I was thinking the same thing. Simple editing in FCPx on an iMac might seem like easy breezy. But when I'm encoding in Episode, rendering in AE and still cutting in FCP7 the old Octo MacPro is the tool I would rather be using.

And why is a Thunderbolt drive faster? Isn't the rotation speed and access time etc the factors? A fast esata connection is plenty fast for drive access and read/write. Why would a Thunderboldt drive be faster especially if it is a 5400 rpm portable drive. Give me a Seagate Barracuda esata 7200 rpm any day.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:30:48 pm

Just found the same thing. Want something beefy and powerful to render from AE, and I can't see the iMac being able to complete with our PC based workstations. I really, really hope that the new Mac Pro comes out soon, and has thunderbolt along with a good graphics card and a reasonable level of base spec RAM.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 22, 2013 at 1:00:39 pm

[Mark Dobson] "When the new MacPro is launched I'll review the situation although I think the iMac will keep me up to speed for a couple of years.

Still a sad day for the old MacPro."

I'm sure Apple would be willing to sell current Mac Pros in the EU but their hands are tied by a couple of EU safety regulations related to the fan and ports prohibiting new sales as of March 1. If someone needs a Mac Pro and can find one, it can still be sold, but Apple can't supply new ones. Who knows when the replacement machine is coming, but it is coming sometime "later in 2013" as you know. Unless EU regulations prohibit sale of the replacement!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]