FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro at NAB ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan early
New Mac Pro at NAB ?
on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:05:46 am

I feel like I have been holding my breath for the new Mac Pro for so long now. I am almost considering a new imac but I just wonder if Apple will release a new mac pro at NAB which is only a month away. Anyone else think this is a possibilty ? Have apple released at NAB before or am I barking madly up the wrong tree ?

I am moving from a macbook pro running fcp 6, hopefully back to a tower, or imac ( had a quad g5 before ) to Adobe Premiere/ CS6/7. I'd much rather that tower was a mac pro.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: New Mac Pro at NAB ?
on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:10:47 am

As far as I know, Apple have no history of releasing new hardware at NAB. It's only ever been Final Cut (and support apps) previews. And I know I'll be plenty happy if that tradition continues this year.

I think WWDC is a much more likely venue for premiering any new MacPro. It was the lack of an update at WWDC last year that caused the uproar which ultimately led to Tim Cook and Apple PR's statements on a new machine coming in 2013.

Last year Phil Schiller asked the crowd if they wanted to see what a next generation MacBookPro would look like- this year perhaps they'll do the same thing with the MacPro.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:21:12 pm

I couldn't hold out any longer - my tired old Mac Pro was starting to scare me. Just picked up the 27" iMac and it's awesome!

While there are huge 3 to 4 week lead times on BTO 27" iMacs, Apple is quietly stocking a top of the line iMac in the Apple stores - it has 3.4Ghz CPU, 1TB Fusion drive and GTX680 w/2GB VRAM for $2599 which is exactly the model I was about to wait weeks for.

Waiting on 32GB memory kit from OWC and added a new Drobo 5D Thunderbolt raid with 15TB. Can't believe the speed - 16 sec. boot, great FCPX performance etc.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:14:50 pm

NAB is no longer much a show to distribute information. The web does that faster and better. It's also less about hardware tire kicking, even tho a lot of that certainly still happens at trade shows. Today, trade shows are largly about social connection and relationship building. It's where you can form personal connections with others people in your areas of interest.

Apple has almost no need to do a trade show to get the word out about their products. They could unveil a new Mac Pro at a grain silo in DesMoines and the world press Would show up. That's just reality.

They've always been exceptionally competitive in marketing and promotion, so if they feel the concentration of influencers at NAB is useful to promoting their plans, they'll find a way to leverage that. But after the confusion and relentless bashing and woefull misunderstanding of their efforts in past years to try to use the trade show platform to launch something new and different, it wouldn't shock me if they viewed the trade show arena as just not worth the hassle.

In essence, Apple doesn't need trade shows very much.

And heck, when I decide where to spend my time - If I had as long a "to do" list as Apple and no justification for indulging my personal taste for public jousting,, I'd likely prefer places where the potential audience is either positive or at least neutral over places where I'd expect to be confronted with lots of Aindreas-style openly hostile venting.

If you want people and companies to show up and participate? Create an environment that welcomes and respects their ideas, even if you dont personally share them. Kinda simple, really.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:38:03 am

[Bill Davis] "Apple has almost no need to do a trade show to get the word out about their products."

However, my buddies on the FCP team will definitely be in attendance. Without a doubt, they will be there--just not in their booth.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:03:08 am

I doubt we'll ever see Apple with a booth again, and you're right, they're always there. But the question is whether the FCP team will be there to observe... or to present?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:25:45 am

... or to hold a super secret meeting through the trap door in a discrete hotel room.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:31:50 pm

Actually.... That I'm pretty sure they do every year!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:05:45 pm

Which means NAB is still important to them for marketing. For Apple it's through a private meeting though which leads to publicity from the invited.

Return to posts index

Clay Coleman
on Feb 21, 2013 at 3:30:27 pm

It's pretty much useless to try and figure which way they'll jump next. All we know for the moment is that Mac Pros are no longer available in Europe. That would lead one to believe that Apple will have to at least issue a statement soon, but again, no point in speculating.

Seen the new GeForce Titan with 6GB of video ram? NVIDIA is calling the shots at the high end now. Not Apple. Unless the new MacPro is a real screamer, I would bet that PC's will become the weapon of choice for all the heavy pixel-crunching tasks and apps by the end of this year.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2013 at 4:34:34 pm

[Clay Coleman] "That would lead one to believe that Apple will have to at least issue a statement soon, but again, no point in speculating."

Already been stated that something is coming this year. We don't know when or what but they've indicated it will be of interest to "professionals."

[Clay Coleman] "NVIDIA is calling the shots at the high end now. Not Apple. "

Since when has Apple ever "called the shots" when it comes to hardware. They sell ecosystems so one has always had to evaluated the entire workflow package.

[Clay Coleman] "I would bet that PC's will become the weapon of choice for all the heavy pixel-crunching tasks and apps by the end of this year."

Compared to what previously? The MacPro has always been somewhat hindered by the GPU choices (more so than CPU when they were staying current with Xeons). Your comment seems no more valid than saying the MacPro will be the choice if it is a screamer. It may or may not be the choice depending on a whole series of workflow considerations.

[Clay Coleman] "It's pretty much useless to try and figure which way they'll jump next."

Actually very useful. At least some portion of the market has decided to "wait and see." That's because they've decided it is at least possible there may be something worth seeing. If not, they'll move but if so they may be buying.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 21, 2013 at 6:09:37 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Already been stated that something is coming this year. We don't know when or what but they've indicated it will be of interest to "professionals.""

This ground has been covered before, but what's coming isn't nearly as vague as some might think.

Larry Jordan's recent post "Will Apple Release a New MacPro"' has had the most even handed roundup on this:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2119

Basically, though the wording of Cooks email may not have been iron-clad...

Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn't have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today's event, don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

...I think you have to really be trying to pull the wording apart to get the impression that Tim Cook is not talking about releasing a new MacPro.

But this all seems moot since, as per Larry's article,

Shortly thereafter, Apple PR clarified that Tim’s comments were correct, that a new MacPro was slated for release in “early 2013.” This was reported by David Pogue, Technology Editor for the New York Times. Read David’s entire post here. (I confirmed this with David in a series of private emails after his column.)

So there you go. Unless something remarkable is afoot, it's a new MacPro.

And even if the form factor does change (and I think it will in some way), why WOULDN'T it be called the MacPro anyway? Within their current naming conventions what else are they going to call it?

Because we've been going thru a couple of transitionary hardware cycles, things look way messier than they should. I think we're going to see a refocusing of the product line as Apple finished these transitions.

Right now on the portables side, we have the MacBookAir, MacBookPro, and MacBookPro with Retina (and the iPad). Thin and light is applicable to all Mac laptops to a certain extent, and the Retina version of the MBP is only going to be around until they can commoditize the cost of the screen enough to get rid of the old model. In a year or two, I think we'll just have (iPad), MacBook, and MacBookPro.

On the desktop side, there's the MacMini, the iMac, and the MacPro. The iMac name doesn't really make sense anymore, as "i" is now synonymous with the iOS stuff- however it's a brand name that people recognize, so I'm sure it's been tough for Apple to consider dropping it. But it would make a lot more sense if there were simply the MacMini, the Mac, and the MacPro.

But all this is to say that MacPro is the only name that makes sense based on how they're naming they're products, regardless of what it ends up looking like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]