FORUMS: list search recent posts

OK you sucked me back in.... (smart folders)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Asquerthian
OK you sucked me back in.... (smart folders)
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:54:30 am

I swore I wasn't going to give up any time to yet another NLE (until I had a paying job on it)... but Avid and FCP7 are struggling with ITNSource.com .mp4 files... so I thought I'd give FCPx another chance...

So first question in the brave new world:

Is there a way (in the import dialogue) to point to media in Finder 'smart' folders? (e.g. I have a smart folder that is all QTs created today > 20MB)

Seems there is no dragging (clips or folders) from a finder window into an event clip list window

I guess I'd like to add the 'search for' section from the finder sidebar to the import sidebar in fcpx?

Clever workarounds? (i.e. I know how to actually import the bits I need, thanks)

thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: OK you sucked me back in.... (smart folders)
on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:23:20 am

I've never tried it, but I wonder if Automator could do most of what you're looking for?
Might be worth exploring.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:24:10 am

thats mad - I'm pulling a pile of ITN source today as well - NHS history piece - takes two ticks to transcode in Mpeg Streamclip, mind you :)

FCP Legend FTW!

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 15, 2013 at 7:05:32 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "thats mad - I'm pulling a pile of ITN source today as well - NHS history piece - takes two ticks to transcode in Mpeg Streamclip, mind you :)"

My thoughts too! People insisting on trying to work native in NLE's not designed for it are lazy. Glad that you switched to an app that deals with your impatience....or deadline.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 15, 2013 at 7:12:15 pm

I know - I still basically feel deeply jesuitically wrong using MP4, I can barely even see past using avchd - and I find MP4s are devils for having sly corruption in them, I've had more hassle out of MP4's than anything of that sort....

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:51:07 am

Not my machine to be able to install mpeg stream clip. Does it really take 2 ticks? Avid is 8xRT to import these files.
I'm now using FCPx on my laptop to do selects and export (sorry, share) a prores QT that imports quick to Avid (being a lot shorter and all). If I speed up on x then I might start cutting too, but this job is day of air ( hour of air for the tease ) and avid is plumbed into router...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:51:50 am

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Seems there is no dragging (clips or folders) from a finder window into an event clip list window
"

There is, you simply drag the folder or file on to the event icon in the event library, doesn't seem to work with smart folders though

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 17, 2013 at 2:55:42 pm

Yeah, a while ago I created a few Smart Folders intended for importing files from. Got them all set up just right, but before testing an actual import from a smart folder... That didn't work out.

What I did was add some often used folders to my favorites in the Finder sidebar, which show up in the FCPX import window as well. Would it be possible to make a smart folder that collects folders, which have the files you want in them? Then add it to the favorites list in hopes that files in the folders within the smart folder are actually importable.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 21, 2013 at 12:57:29 am

[Shane Ross] People insisting on trying to work native in NLE's not designed for it are lazy.

I don't think laziness has anything to do with it. Sometimes it is simply more efficient to open the MP4 directly in FCP X.

I have to find a 30 sec. clip in a 3 hr. MP4. Open MPEG Streamclip. Use the crappy player window to find it. Takes awhile. Export. Import into FCP X. Oh wait I now need a cutaway from the same MP4 clip. Back to MPEG Streamclip. Find the clip again, where was it? Around 1 hr. 13 min I think? Export. Import. Crap I need one more shot. Repeat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]