FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT Jeremy Garchow is #1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
OT Jeremy Garchow is #1
on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:31:04 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/hof.php

I note that Jeremy is now number 1 all time top poster in the COW Hall of Fame!

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: OT Jeremy Garchow is #1
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:58:38 pm

And, he's "number one with a bullet."

FYI, that's not a reference to guns. Is there anyone here old enough and wise enough to understand that reference?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:12:35 pm

Billboard magazine. Meaning rising very fast on the charts. I will be 150 next year.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:13:28 pm

Also, I'm old enough but not necessarily wise enough.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:37:49 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "FYI, that's not a reference to guns. Is there anyone here old enough and wise enough to understand that reference?"

Sadly, yes

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:47:02 pm

I'm number 4! I'm number 4!

It's my lucky number. I'm cool with #4

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:29:55 pm

I be six! But way, way, way, behind you and Jeremy.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: OT Jeremy Garchow is #What?
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:26:26 pm

You guys are silly.

I don't know what this means except I spend a lot of time here. It must be good for ratings at least?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2013 at 6:22:10 pm

It means you spend too much time here. I'm sure a lot of our posts are here in this forum...debate rather than actual help. Still, you are pretty damn active. I'm glad that I'm not #1...it'd mean that I spend too much time here. Being #4 is bad enough!

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:46:16 pm

It sounds like Shane is gunning for that #1 spot and trying to convince Jeremy he shouldn't post as much to eliminate the competition. Or maybe I've been watching too much house of cards.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:48:54 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Or maybe I've been watching too much house of cards."

Ha!

Speaking of, do you like?

I am about 5 episodes in. What do you think not only of the show itself, but of the format in general (Netflix, no set episode length, etc)?

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:17:07 pm

The original House of Cards in 1990 was excellent. Can't watch this one, not having Netflix, but I assume that after a while they'll will try to get their money back by selling the series to ordinary tv.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:40:46 pm

Yes it was! I have them all on DVD.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:22:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Speaking of, do you like?"

Personally I like the "American Beauty" meets "The West Wing" feel and I'm old and British enough to remember the original.

I think it's a fantastic idea to vary the length, I wonder if that was an idea from David Fincher?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:25:04 pm

and while we are OT and talking about British series, I'm looking forward to this!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a458074/doctor-who-50th-a...

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:40:08 pm

How can you not be! My flatscreen will finally be bigger on the inside.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:19:48 pm

The first few episodes I thought were interesting but felt a little been there/done that. About mid season though I feel like the show found its stride and just kept getting stronger. I watched all 13 episodes over a 4 or 5 day stretch and I can't wait for season 2.

One downside to being able to binge on a show like this is that it makes the wait for the next season that much longer. Sure, it's awesome to be able to keep hitting 'next episode' and get your fix but season 2 hasn't even started shooting yet so it's probably going to be a year before it becomes available. It also loses that water cooler/tweeting aspect that a scheduled event has and I think House of Cards is certainly the type of show that could get people talking the day after just like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead can.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:53:39 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "The first few episodes I thought were interesting but felt a little been there/done that. About mid season though I feel like the show found its stride and just kept getting stronger. I watched all 13 episodes over a 4 or 5 day stretch and I can't wait for season 2.

One downside to being able to binge on a show like this is that it makes the wait for the next season that much longer. Sure, it's awesome to be able to keep hitting 'next episode' and get your fix but season 2 hasn't even started shooting yet so it's probably going to be a year before it becomes available. It also loses that water cooler/tweeting aspect that a scheduled event has and I think House of Cards is certainly the type of show that could get people talking the day after just like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead can."

Yes, I feel after Episode 4, things started to get interesting, but that's kind of true of any new show isn't it?

I think the Errol Morris (talk to the camera) technique is still a bit jarring for me. It's akin to a musical; there's a knife fight, and then all of a sudden the gang's are dancing and singing together, and then everyone disappears in to the doorways. I thought this was a street fight to the death?

I know it is artistic license, but there's still something that takes me out of the moment, especially when the 'narration' happens right in the middle of the scene.

I thought the first season of 'House of Lies' handled this technique very well. They took you out of the scene, discussed, and brought you back to the scene as seamlessly as possible, and it worked for me.

This definitely has a Fincher feel, though. I do enjoy the overall tone.

[Andrew Kimery] "One downside to being able to binge on a show like this is that it makes the wait for the next season that much longer. Sure, it's awesome to be able to keep hitting 'next episode' and get your fix but season 2 hasn't even started shooting yet so it's probably going to be a year before it becomes available. It also loses that water cooler/tweeting aspect that a scheduled event has and I think House of Cards is certainly the type of show that could get people talking the day after just like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead can."

But isn't that what makes Walking Dead so interesting? As much as it is frustrating, splitting up the season in to two parts somehow makes the wait more bearable. Maybe Netflix will take a cue?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:49:42 am

Spacey's character breaking the fourth wall took some getting used to for me as well. I eventually accept it as part of the show but at times it still felt jarring to me.

[Jeremy Garchow] "But isn't that what makes Walking Dead so interesting? As much as it is frustrating, splitting up the season in to two parts somehow makes the wait more bearable. Maybe Netflix will take a cue?"
I meant more along the lines of a new episode a week as opposed to releasing every episode at once.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:49:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Andrew Kimery] "One downside to being able to binge on a show like this is that it makes the wait for the next season that much longer. Sure, it's awesome to be able to keep hitting 'next episode' and get your fix but season 2 hasn't even started shooting yet so it's probably going to be a year before it becomes available. It also loses that water cooler/tweeting aspect that a scheduled event has and I think House of Cards is certainly the type of show that could get people talking the day after just like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead can."

But isn't that what makes Walking Dead so interesting? As much as it is frustrating, splitting up the season in to two parts somehow makes the wait more bearable. Maybe Netflix will take a cue?"

If you guys are really jonesing, check out the original trilogy--House of Cards, To Play the King, and The Final Cut. Ian Richardson is marvelous. You can get all twelve hours on iTunes.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:01:59 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Or maybe I've been watching too much house of cards."

Jeremy, be very careful if Shane offers you a drink.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:57:15 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Jeremy, be very careful if Shane offers you a drink."

Heh heh.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:05:56 am

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Return to posts index