FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why will it relink in project but not in event?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mari Jenkins
Why will it relink in project but not in event?
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:54:04 pm

I just posted another massive problem I was having. Well, I found a costly working solution, but now it's taking me forever.

For some reason, it won't relink missing clips at the Relink Event Clips level. It tells me they're incompatible. But it will replace them at the Relink Project clips level.

This means I have to go through and do each Project individually (over a hundred, which takes forever given FCX's horrible memory management of pulling all the projects up in the memory at once), even though it's the same unlinked clips.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I've tried it only isolating one single clip that works at project level but not event. I get that maybe one of the other Projects is using the clip in an improper way, but that shouldn't be possible given FCX's amazing media management.... ha.

Return to posts index

Mari Jenkins
Re: Why will it relink in project but not in event?
on Feb 7, 2013 at 9:07:59 pm

If this helps, it says "The original file didn't have video, but the new one does." when I try to relink a still photo I was using in the project... which doesn't make any sense.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:32:57 am

Does it only happen with stills?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:34:54 am

Is it just one event? Is all the media in one folder or group of folders? You can try re dragging the folder(s) of media into the event. Any media that matches will be relinked. It won't make duplicates if it matches.

Return to posts index

Mari Jenkins
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:29:22 pm

Good suggestion, but no success.

It's not just stills. The video clips often won't import because it says "old clip didn't have audio, but the new clip does." The errors vary, but there are always compatibility problems.

There seems to be a disconnect between footage in Events and clips within the project.

Return to posts index

Mari Jenkins
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:04:33 pm

Also, why in hell does the project not automatically relink clips in the Projects when I re-link them in the Event? What is the point of an event otherwise?

It's amazing that their media management gives you no control, but then does a horrible job of organizing things.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:06:32 pm

[Mari Jenkins] "Also, why in hell does the project not automatically relink clips in the Projects when I re-link them in the Event? What is the point of an event otherwise?"

They do normally, you are clearly having some serious issues somewhere, also these are questions more suited to the techniques forum I notice you are making the same posts across both

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:15:28 pm

Have you tried "Modify Event References" on your current Project to the current Event?

Do you have two identical Events or Projects in your Browsers?

Return to posts index

Mari Jenkins
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:00:25 pm

I've tried Modify Event References. To be honest, I'm not even sure what this command is supposed to do, because i've never actually seen it do anything.

No to the two identical. It's like the program somehow extrapolated that clips were unlinked and needed to be relinked to some black media it invented. When I try to relink to original clips it says they're not the originals.

I think all this happened when the program said Projects/Events need to be updated a month or so ago.

Only copying old projects from time machine has solved the problem, although I still manually have to relink all kinds of things.

I have been making posts everywhere since no one seems to have any clue what's happening. Sorry if that's annoying, I'm just so baffled you can't force a relink in FCX.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:37:10 pm

[Mari Jenkins] "I've tried Modify Event References. To be honest, I'm not even sure what this command is supposed to do, because i've never actually seen it do anything."

It works on Projects and clips in Projects. You can modify which Event the files are pointed to.

It seems to me that whatever is in your Project is not referenced to the Event you think it should be.

You can select a single clip, open the info window, click the gear, choose "show file status" and it will show you which Event that file is referencing.

Is it referencing the correct Event that is "unlinked"?

[Mari Jenkins] "I have been making posts everywhere since no one seems to have any clue what's happening. Sorry if that's annoying, I'm just so baffled you can't force a relink in FCX."

It sounds like something went wrong, it's just a matter of back tracking far enough to find the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]