FORUMS: list search recent posts

For kicks: Apple in the medium term.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
For kicks: Apple in the medium term.
on Feb 7, 2013 at 1:39:03 am

for arguments sake - is there any issue with the fact that Apple makes a few cents on the dollar, year on year, from professionally loaded desktop hardware?
And that Apple make barely a shaving of that, again, from pro software sales: please let us break it out for aperture, or FCPX and truly understand it's lack of significance.

Bill likes FCPX right?, better, he was informed he could pitch multi-cam to a stall of people: a lot of people have liked a lot of apple software.
So: who, in their right mind, with business concerns, would trust a company that shows utter disregard for mid-term professional software concerns?

As in- lets just kill the FCP studio architecture - laugh, and roll out the ripple training guys grinning madly right?

Anyone who bet on aperture as a professional - is dead in the water.

Anyone who bet on Color - dead in the water

Anyone who bet on Shake - dead in the water.

Anyone who bet on FCP studio - dead in the water.

what, exactly is the common ground here?
Who, in their right living mind, would trust the lunatic software mad house that is Apple.Inc again?

I am being truly serious: Are we nuts?
Apple kill software the way bad people drown cats.
In our case - that cat was FCP.

there are people, and you can hear them, in a jungle, screaming that FCPX is changing reality. Bill is daubed in blue wode.
mind you - that said, there are no FCPX jobs.

I honestly wonder why no one gets the fact that we are paid craft and Apple barely check anything.
Larry Jordan is on record being near entirely ignored in the run up to the FCPX launch.
That said: Bill is all for everything. ALL OF THIS. he's on board a million software percent.
Apple care about as much about editing as they do about tungsten steel grooves.

that said - quite a lot of other people care quite a great deal about the historical FCP market. La Pugs or that. Some macs having a break. nudge wink.

paid links and training, nice and cheap and some on here, - they smell flesh. maybe their sign off was a pointless judicial quote, maybe that stopped.

the point is some of them want what they had. before Apple messed up their plate.

direct audio:

"Multicam...I'm just in the final stages of putting this together... this will take you to to the iBook store... it's just a big four dollars and ninety five cents."

my name is Bill Davies.

Welcome to the Circus.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Re: For kicks: Apple in the medium term.
on Feb 7, 2013 at 6:14:01 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Who, in their right living mind, would trust the lunatic software mad house that is Apple.Inc again?"

I am :-)

[Aindreas Gallagher] "that said, there are no FCPX jobs."
If there are no jobs for FCPx than that's good for you because you don't have to learn it.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I honestly wonder why no one gets the fact that we are paid craft and Apple barely check anything. "
Because there is not only one reality, but many..

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Anyone who bet on aperture as a professional - is dead in the water.
Works fine here

Anyone who bet on Color - dead in the water
Blackmagic gives Davinci away for free, why pay for Color? Davinci is much better too.

Never used it, so don't miss it :-)

Anyone who bet on FCP studio - dead in the water."
What was the bet?

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Welcome to the Circus."
Thank God you and Bill are the main attractions who make us come back for a good show :-)

Happy editing!

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 7, 2013 at 6:31:31 am

The guy never ceases... something stronger than merlot fueling the ire...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:40:10 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "The guy never ceases... something stronger than merlot fueling the ire..."

Except he makes actual, specific points.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 7, 2013 at 6:08:11 pm

Hadn't noticed.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:18:18 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Hadn't noticed."

Wouldn't really expect you to.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:14:27 am

We're in reruns already?
I'm looking for an original series.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:23:06 am

Aindreas -reassuringly obstreperous.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Feb 7, 2013 at 9:25:41 am

Well I enjoyed reading that. I think there will be some X-jobs, but that is not the point. It's really hard to trust Apple on their comitment towards the Pros, that much is true here.
The whole thing reminds me of Google Maps being kicked off the iphone. It took some dudes ending up in the desert with no water and just the iphone to bring back google maps.
Tech-Companies just listen to the finance-mummy's boys, not the geeks anymore...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:28:16 pm

This is completely off-topic, but what you said in relation to Maps was COMPLETELY inaccurate in every way possible.

Point 1: Apple and Google could not agree on terms about Maps. In short, Apple wanted turn-by-turn directions and vector maps for faster downloads (like Google was supplying on Android). Google wanted more access to iPhone user personal info. Neither was willing to give the other what they wanted. So Google wasn't "kicked off", Apple and Google both walked away from the agreement. Apple replaced Google's back end data with their own set.

Point 2: If you look for news around that Australia issue. The info that left people in the middle of the desert (in a park I believe) when looking for a specific town wasn't an error in Apple's maps, but one in the data set supplied by the Australian government. And as reported a day or two later was ALSO in Google's map data as well.

Point 3: Point 2 had absolutely nothing to do with when Google Maps was released on the iPhone. It was published when Google had it ready. It wasn't "held back" by Apple, anymore than Google Search, or Google Voice, or Google Earth, or the YouTube apps were.

In the end both Apple and Google got what they wanted.

Apple isn't in a position where they're completely reliant on Google for core functionality to one of their fiercest rivals in the mobile space. Plus they put out of competitive product with the features they wanted, PLUS they now have a Google Maps version that has what they were asking for all along.

Google gets the access it wanted to the data that Google Maps users provide it (since you have to agree to that to use it) without Apple's interference.

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:54:48 am

Wow, thank you for clarifying this! It's really the age of boulevard journalism and stories get told almost by Facebook-standarts these days...
And for the iPhone/ google maps thing I apologize for ignoring the facts and just assuming stuff, thank you for the exact course of events on this...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:41:39 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Who, in their right living mind, would trust the lunatic software mad house that is Apple.Inc again?"

People who approach their beloved mega-corporation with emotion rather than rationality and imbue to it some kind of epic power that will transcend everything.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 7, 2013 at 1:08:40 pm

Yes, Gary that's EXACTLY why I use Apple software.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 7, 2013 at 1:20:39 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "for arguments sake - is there any issue with the fact that Apple makes a few cents on the dollar, year on year, from professionally loaded desktop hardware?
And that Apple make barely a shaving of that, again, from pro software sales: please let us break it out for aperture, or FCPX and truly understand it's lack of significance."

I have no issue with it until affects my business, so far it hasn't. I understand how others have been though

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Who, in their right living mind, would trust the lunatic software mad house that is Apple.Inc again?
"

Me and many others

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Anyone who bet on aperture as a professional - is dead in the water."

I believe Aperture still works

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I honestly wonder why no one gets the fact that we are paid craft and Apple barely check anything. "

I'm being paid very nicely for my craft with Apple software thanks, I believe others are too.

Very entertaining as always, but aren't you wasting valuable time, where you should be learning Avid?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:21:34 pm

In a market where I trust no company on this issue, I trust our friends in Cupertino the least.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:28:49 pm

Isn't this the point in the edit where a black-clad, Kevlar-wearing dude fast ropes in from the sky and announces, "I'm from the Government, Trust Me." ?

(getting back under my tinfoil)

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:43:52 pm

I no longer wear the tinfoil hat. I have lined my entire edit room with it. It provides protection but sucks for recording voice overs.

Tim

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:54:17 pm

Has anybody actually met Aindreas? How do we know this isn't Tim Wilson, ghost writing this to keep this forum interesting? Inquiring minds want to know........

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:12:05 pm

Paid in cow dairy to stir the pot. The cheeses are amazing. they have a Hertfordshire blue that will frankly blow your mind.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:37:46 pm

Discreet/Autodesk
Cleaner
Cinestream (EditDV)
Combustion
Edit*

Adobe
Premiere (the first series pre Pro)

Avid
Threatening to leave the Mac market

Sony
a trail of dead formats including D2 and BetaSX

And I'm sure there are many other products dead or nearly killed by many other companies. I buy what gives me good ROI and anticipate having to move on at some point like a prepared professional should.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:06:00 pm

You must need some Yoga this morning because you're really stretching here.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:40:48 pm

[Gary Huff] "you're really stretching here."

Tell that to the angry Discreet/Autodesk users.
Maybe you didn't live through Avid'd games either at time when bigger facilities were hit with the potential of millions of dollars in expenses.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:40:05 am

The broadcast station I worked at for fourteen years was put through the Edit* painfest (although it paid for itself many many times over - and was in use at least three years after the EOL announcement from Discreet), and then through the AVID mega-sales pitch for the Newscutter, which was supposed to be upgradeable to HD via a simple card addition (the simple card addition was EOL'd before it ever L'd). We then moved on to the CS4 Suite, and they are now working away happily with several suites of CS6. Oh...I forgot to mention Combustion - we had opted for Combustion over AE because of Edit*, and then jumped to AE when Edit* finally went away.

It's just a fact of life that technologies change, companies make mistakes, both marketing, and design ones. And if you listen to the software and hardware companies, today's cutting edge is next week's museum piece. But then...I never ask a barber if I need a haircut...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Feb 7, 2013 at 6:18:10 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Sony
a trail of dead formats including D2 and BetaSX
"

D2 is on the Ampex Graveyard, Sony wasn't the responsible party.
While Sony has left some dead formats behind, those were formats that didn't really get wide market acceptance. Those who did, Sony supports extremely well. You can even play back Digibeta in an HDCAM-SR deck today.
As for the rest (Avid), you could argue like that. Question is: did they get punished for that behaviour. And yep, Avid got it pretty badly.
Apple hardly ever gets any serious lashes from its customer base and that is the problem. People play along and make due especially hardware wise because there is no alternative unless you want to switch platforms.
Each and everyone has to decide if that's the way they want to play that game, now and in the future.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:32:45 am

[Craig Seeman] "Sony
a trail of dead formats including D2 and BetaSX"

NLE software too. XPRI and a bunch of Fast clones

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:10:35 am

[Michael Aranyshev] "NLE software too. XPRI and a bunch of Fast clones"

I entirely forgot about XPRI. Hmm that says something I guess.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:56:50 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Anyone who bet on Color - dead in the water
Anyone who bet on FCP studio - dead in the water."

But the continuing reality of the multiverse is "Surf, Or Die". Steven St. Croix, MIX Magazine. From about a hundred years ago.

I bet on Silicon Color Final Touch. Apple grabbed it, but it was walking dead when BM Resolve launched -- it wasn't necessarily Apple that killed COLOR.

I still make some money with Apple SHAKE, even though I still think of it as nreal, but no longer growing, that's for sure.

I would never have chosen FCP, but it was what everybody else was using, and face it, like a cat at the end of its life, sometimes it isn't evil to put it down. Too bad the replacement was the runt kitten of the litter, and its competition, if you can stretch the point, continues to be the full-grown big cats, the kind that can't purr. Up, Simba!

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:28:30 pm

Not that I really ever agree with him much but I thought he was a bit rough on Bill.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Feb 7, 2013 at 11:06:46 pm

I think it's called cyber-bullying.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:17:40 pm

bullying... Bill?
are you having a laugh? Bill has beaten a wide variety of people to a verbal pulp. I barely tweaked the man's nose there.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:09:09 pm

Please - Bill's fine. And he is on the other side of the circus tent there. And - It was a good demo. I just thought to poke a stick.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:29:18 am

Interesting that I just got my first non-FCP7 request two days ago, which was... wait for it... FCPX. And a narrative short of all things from a commercial director who decided to take a class in editing at a local film program and really likes FCPX's interface and ease of use. I guess she didn't get the memo...

Actually, I am waiting to hear on another feature length documentary which also looks like it will be done in FCPX as well.

James (who can't wait to buy the new MacPro when it is released in the Spring.)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 9, 2013 at 12:05:46 am

You can cut a lot of formats on fcx. No one has ever said or claimed you can't. But when you have tv series switch from fcp7 to a more expensive avid share, or a network, even features, it says more than the stand alone editor choosing or requested to cut something on X who wouldn't be getting the memo in a shared or facility environment...

My pov, it's a terrible terrible editor. And most editors I speak with certainly wouldn't use x for anything.

In 2 years now, I haven't spoken with anyone, who has had any interest in using fcx to cut after giving it a whirl. Heads shake. It's mind numbing how squandered this release was. I guess we're all nuts...

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 9, 2013 at 12:23:11 am

Admittedly, I was somewhat indifferent until I started using FCPX on real projects. It wasn't until I put some serious time into it that I began to realize how good and fast an edit app it is (I certainly realize FCPX is not yet ready for many collaborative workflows).

I can understand having different preferences. But when someone says it is a terrible editor my guess is that they have not really used it. And it is interesting to remember that many AVID editors said the exact same thing about FCP legacy in the first years after its release.

I have preferred FCP legacy to AVID for a long time; but that does not make MC a terrible editor.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:09:46 am

[James Culbertson] "when someone says it is a terrible editor my guess is that they have not really used it."

I think your guess is wrong. I was careful to say, as this is always the response, from people that I have spoken with and have given it a whirl...as I have. I bought it on the first day, I have updated it and played with it since, and as an editor, I find it a creative lost cause. I like my track based timeline without mag chrome. I find 7 a unlimited canvas of choices, function and ease. The mag timeline is infuriating to work with as an editor.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:56:40 am

OK, I'll take your word for it.

I'm still using FCP7 as well primarily because it is so comfortable and it is what most clients expect at this time. But as FCP7 becomes less usable and the only options are AVID and Premiere I'll be using FCPX more and more when I have the choice. The more I use FCPX the harder it is to go back to legacy style editing apps.

Of course I'll use whatever a client requests if they have a preference. But having to be fully proficient in all of the 4 main pro editing apps is going to be a PITA.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 9, 2013 at 2:14:27 am

I still enjoy using 7 whenever possible. The limitations are so well known to me, as to everyone else, that it really is a get in and out experience.

I'm just happy I still have material I can throw in the timeline I am so at ease with. Most NLE's haven't come close. I didn't expect this thing to still be kicking 2 years ago, hence my overzealous fanatical reaction to the EOL. I'm glad I can still produce delivery spec'd quality.

Once I migrate officially to Avid, I know I will still miss this beast.

I've always maintained X will have it's place, I just wish it took iMovie's and the upward momentum of 7 would shine on into 8 and beyond. But when it comes to shared networks and editorial in facilities. X is an unwelcome joke, imo. And I don't say that with glee. I was suckered into the FCX expectation Apple presented like many who thought finally! We're getting what we asked for...instead of a fork in our b*lls

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:51:17 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "I still enjoy using 7 whenever possible. The limitations are so well known to me, as to everyone else, that it really is a get in and out experience.

I'm just happy I still have material I can throw in the timeline I am so at ease with. Most NLE's haven't come close. I didn't expect this thing to still be kicking 2 years ago, hence my overzealous fanatical reaction to the EOL. I'm glad I can still produce delivery spec'd quality.

Once I migrate officially to Avid, I know I will still miss this beast. "

I feel this is the problem right here, and that's perception.

There is more evidence about the quirks of FCPX "getting in the way", while the limitations of FCP7 are simply old hat and therefore more easily dealt with or simply ignored. If you are sitting with a client and FCP7 crackles when you hit the play button, you stop, hit play again, and say "yeah, it just does that sometimes" and don't even really think about it. Or the audio is playing what is seemingly the wrong section of the timeline, so you trash the audio render files and start over. Or an XML that can't handle speed changes borks a Color round trip.

Yet when FCPX hangs for a half second longer than it did yesterday, the confidence is shot and you don't even know to say, "yeah, it just does that sometimes".

There is a venerable cottage industry around fixing FCP7's/FCS's short comings.

Learning a new NLE's new quirks takes a long time, and there's no doubt that a critical eye is automatically put on FCPX, and it should be. Apple killed a giant legacy and is promoting X as the new future with no regard for the past. It better be good, right?

There are many things that FCPX does well. If it's a "poor editor" for you because it doesn't fulfill some sort of need, that doesn't mean it's a poor editor. I find slogging clips around in FCPX to be much faster than in FCP7. I can also mix and match formats/frame rates with greater control in FCPX and adjust large groups of clips in the timeline in X much easier than 7. There are different definitions of "open timeline" FCP7s is open in some ways, really closed in others. So, I don't find it to be a poor editor because it actually helps me get my job done better than 7, but I am not every editor so I can't say what's best for everyone.

There are quirks, and it takes a little while to learn them, just like any NLE. And in the earlier days, stability was a major concern in FCPX. It's better now, although there's still some things to be ironed out.

You could say that about any professional NLE today, no matter the vintage.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 12, 2013 at 1:38:44 am

I don't find it open. I may have an opinion derived entirely from my own tastes, and I have said that many times.

When I cut a sequence, I work with the cliched concept of "it's in there somewhere". I drop the material in and go until I develop pink eye. If I feel a sequence isn't working, I drop in the bits again in the same sequence and cut away. I build my main timeline with the finished drafts and start a new sequence. Tabbing back and forth. Cutting and pasting and massaging. It's meat and potatoes. Maybe redundant to some, but I work how I want...

I realize I may be unnecessarily hard on X in your eyes, but 7 is more of a sandbox than you give it credit for here. What gets in the way in X is a not perception. It's impossible to work the way I want to. And the networks of workarounds don't come into play until I'm re-linking or taking what elements I do need elsewhere. Which is basically the same with any other nle. The wall is in the architecture of X.

I get that you find this tool useful. And I don't think you are cheerleading it from any other position. You like having it in your arsenal. And I always say it has it's place. The cheerleading that separates you though (and I wouldn't even consider you a cheerleader tbh) is those prognosticating that X will move into the temple and cut off the head of the king. And, from my experiences as stated in this thread, the comparisons to early FCP aren't there. The evidence is not there. Editors that I come across, myself included, don't have any interest in the way X cuts...FCP in its development years, wasn't a terrible editor from the beginning. We all discussed it as something to watch and use. It may have had more limitations to the desired work, but it wasn't cutting you off at the knees when you wanted to find the film you are looking for, you could chip away at the marble, instead of dragging it through a table saw...the bottom line is 7 was inclusive. It is a sandbox.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:13:08 am

[Jamie Franklin] "I realize I may be unnecessarily hard on X in your eyes, but 7 is more of a sandbox than you give it credit for here. What gets in the way in X is a not perception. It's impossible to work the way I want to. And the networks of workarounds don't come into play until I'm re-linking or taking what elements I do need elsewhere. Which is basically the same with any other nle. The wall is in the architecture of X. "

It doesn't "feel" right. I get that feeling from other NLEs and that instinct is important to the craft.

I could potentially show you ways to work that are similar to what you do in 7, but who cares? It doesn't matter, and I understand.

[Jamie Franklin] "is those prognosticating that X will move into the temple and cut off the head of the king. And, from my experiences as stated in this thread, the comparisons to early FCP aren't there. The evidence is not there."

I have no idea.

Certainly, in the near term, X isn't cutting off any heads of royalty, except its own. FCP7 still works as do the computers that run it for the most part. FCP7 will be around for a long time yet, as there is currently nothing much like it for custom workflows.

There's no question that FCP7's extensibility made it so popular. It is sort of a sandbox, but there are barriers all over the place, and it is those barriers, at least in my work, that are beginning to get unnecessarily high. Creatively, everything around FCP7 is developing, while FCP7 is going to remain still. I feel those walls closing in on me every single day.

I finally had a chance to play with a GoPro Hero3 in person the other day (I know I'm late to the party, I'm sure you know all of this already). It was able to see what it is doing, I was able to menu through the options. I hooked it up to an iPhone and then an iPad, I left it sitting on a table while I ran upstairs and hit record from my f*cking phone (granted the monitoring has a 4 second delay, but still, it was impressive). I downloaded the free Cineform based software and saw what I could do, just through metadata, in the "ProTune" option.

I wandered around the office, I changed recording formats from 720p @ 120fps to 4k @ 15fps, I wore it, I put it down, I let my dog look at it and got his reaction. For the first time in quite a while, I was inspired by what might be. It is a unique tool and the entire support system around it is decently well thought out. It gives you a lot of options in a hyper portable package.

It goes against traditional cameras and doesn't adhere to normal recording formats. It is small, it is cheap, and frankly its pretty shitty quality if you aren't in broad daylight, but it is immensely powerful and packs a whole lot of punch in an arrestingly small package especially when you consider 1/3 of the size is the battery compartment. Is it for live TV? Not really.

There is a bit of that in FCPX. For some, there is a bit of inspiration in there, and it doesn't adhere to a normal. It also is really new software and sometimes, it garners shitty quality, but there are new tools in there. Is it for live TV? Perhaps not, but that's not stopping people from using it for exactly that role.

While I don't necessarily cheerlead the application I will, at least in some respects, cheerlead the overall effort.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:58:24 pm

oops mistook you for Steve when replying. You are a cheerleader without question. :P

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:02:54 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "oops mistook you for Steve when replying. You are a cheerleader without question."

fist bump

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:47:37 pm

I completely agree, now when I work with others in track based/bin based workflow it's crazymaking. I didn't truly realize the speed benefits of X until I had to go back. It was infuriating at first to learn, but I do like it better.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:07:26 am

[Jamie Franklin] "My pov, it's a terrible terrible editor."

yep.
thats my basic point. its a very poor core timeline. everyone who uses it says up front that it takes months to normalise.

apple stockholm syndrome is not for everyone.

Indeed, the re-education is for a very select few.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 9, 2013 at 3:54:25 am

I wouldn't even qualify it as the parachute pants of this decade. With all the cheerleading I have read by those that think it's Hammer time, I still have yet to cross paths with one editor who even uses it for his vacation vids....I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:27:24 am

>With all the cheerleading I have read by those that think it's Hammer time, I still have yet to cross paths with one editor who even uses it for his vacation vids.... <<<<

There are a lot of us out there but we tend not to talk about it much with other editors who go on and on about how terrible it is... what's the point? (outside of this forum at least.)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:23:45 am

Well, from the point of view from someone who heard ad nauseum about the parallels of early FCP1 users that this was no different, there wasn't the degree of abstaining of the interest and use of something new and intriguing. I'm sure there are those who could analyze the merits of the lack of feature sets then, but it still contained the truth of what was becoming increasing more useful and a staple of Nle. Track based yadda yadda yadda.

I think this is rather constructive to understanding the contempt towards this "paradigm". It won't be widely accepted. While some undoubtedly find its uses. It's becoming clear it's not utilitarian, it's not a jeep, its the deep fried Twinkie of the editing world.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:25:18 am

How sweet Aindreas has a little friend to play with

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:45:24 am

[Jamie Franklin] "With all the cheerleading I have read by those that think it's Hammer time,"

Ahh, "haters" calling people "cheerleaders" I miss that on here, I'm glad it's back

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:49:49 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Indeed, the re-education is for a very select few."

Indeed it is.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Feb 9, 2013 at 12:15:41 am

If any of us need to make a move now on hardware, if we decided on Apple, I don't know about any of you, but I'd feel like a battered housewife...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]