FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Black Magic Cinema Camera film

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
OT: Black Magic Cinema Camera film
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:06:56 pm

Not bad for $3K. While I'm rather tired of these camera tests cut to overly dramatic music, the colors and dynamic range are a great argument for shooting RAW. Also makes a good argument for visiting Big Sur.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: OT: Black Magic Cinema Camera film
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:15:07 pm

We're in the midst of testing ours, here's the first clip (no overly dramatic music!)

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:40:42 pm

nice. whats the tune? sounds yann tiersen-y

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:49:07 pm

Apple Loops "Dream or Fantasy"

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:41:04 pm

I figured you weren't blasting out an Amelie b-side :) - but it is quite a little bit yann tiersen-y tho isn't it?
when the accordion kicks in at 20" feels the wee bit familiar. nice chunk of free tune.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:24:05 pm

One of my favorite places on the planet. Hoping to get up to the central coast in the next couple of weeks.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:12:32 am

[Herb Sevush] "ot bad for $3K. While I'm rather tired of these camera tests cut to overly dramatic music, the colors and dynamic range are a great argument for shooting RAW."

Yeah, I loved the idea of shooting Raw (it's not an acronym), but the practicality of shooting with the BMCC in CinemaDNG is stretching it (note: I still have my pre-order for the m4/3 version).

I shot with the EF version a few weeks ago. It's a long wonky in the controls (there was no aperture display at the time I was using it, but the firmware's finally out that fixes it), and apparently it makes an audible tone in the recorded .WAV file every time you change the volume level. Everyone remarked how funky the form factor was, but by the end of the shoot, they were complementing it. It's really built for building a rig out of, not for running in and of itself.

Now, the downside. CinemaDNG is HUGE. It's not just Raw, its uncompressed Raw. It's not like Redcode at all. 30 minutes of footage took up 520-something gigabytes of storage. Then you have to process it to get editable, which takes render time out of Resolve as well.

I love the idea of it, and Raw is very powerful, but it's seriously a storage glut and processing hog.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:36:39 pm

Remember, you can shoot ProRes instead. CinemaDNG files will work directly in FCP X, but the metadata of the raw is baked in. You cannot alter this yet, as with RED files.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:50:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Remember, you can shoot ProRes instead."

For those not familiar with the BMCC, the 10bit ProRes 4:2:2 (HQ) records at 220Mb/s so still lots of quality inherent in the data for grading and that makes for an easier workflow in FCPX for example. If 12bit Raw is used, that may be ingested into DaVinci Resolve for initial debayer/grade and then send a flavour of ProRes ro FCPX and roundtrip back to Resolve for final grading.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:05:28 pm

I posted this in another thread, but here are some workflow ideas:

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/blackmagic-cinema-camera-post-...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 1, 2013 at 2:44:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I posted this in another thread, but here are some workflow ideas:

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/blackmagic-cinema-camera-post-....."

Interesting to see a large number of grading examples using different software. From comments John Brawley has made on the actual colour of Casey Burgess' red jacket, the Apple Color grade beginning at 3:27 of your grading video appears to me to be the closest to reality. Not that reality is any goal, but just for your information. Red seems to be the most difficult colour to reproduce perfectly if that's what one wants.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:39:47 pm

[Gary Huff] "CinemaDNG is HUGE. It's not just Raw, its uncompressed Raw. It's not like Redcode at all. 30 minutes of footage took up 520-something gigabytes of storage."

Gary, nice to see you are awaiting a BMCC MFT. Each frame of CinemaDNG is about 5MB in size so at 24fps a 480GB SSD will hold more than an hour of video plus the separate .WAV audio file. If shooting 30 fps, you should see over 50 minutes per SSD. Many people are preferring to use the smaller 240GB SSD and that's perhaps where the roughly 30 minutes of footage is the limit.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 1, 2013 at 4:32:56 pm

[Gary Huff] "Now, the downside. CinemaDNG is HUGE. It's not just Raw, its uncompressed Raw. It's not like Redcode at all. 30 minutes of footage took up 520-something gigabytes of storage. Then you have to process it to get editable, which takes render time out of Resolve as well.

I love the idea of it, and Raw is very powerful, but it's seriously a storage glut and processing hog.
"

That's an understatement, ours chew through SSDs terrifyingly quickly.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 2, 2013 at 2:11:05 pm

[Steve Connor] "That's an understatement, ours chew through SSDs terrifyingly quickly."

I had to use After Effects to get out ProRes 2.5K 4444 masters for the editor to work on (the BMCC was borrowed so I don't have the USB key for full Resolve) and it took over a day to render out on a 2011 MacBook Pro 17" with 16GB on a G-RAID Mini.

I know Resolve is faster at that but...damn.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 2, 2013 at 2:44:47 pm

We've been taking ProresHQ files out from Resolve on a 2011 iMac and with moderate grading it's taking about an hour per 10 -12 mins of footage. However I'm very impressed with the in Camera Prores recording and I imagine we'll be using that for most work.

In a couple of weeks our F55 with 4K RAW recorder arrives, it might be time to buy some shares in a hard drive manufacturer!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:03:30 pm

[Steve Connor] "We've been taking ProresHQ files out from Resolve on a 2011 iMac and with moderate grading it's taking about an hour per 10 -12 mins of footage."

The grading will slow the renders. The more nodes, the slower the render. Especially on an iMac, since you can't add multiple NVIDIA GPUs to make a dedicated Resolve workstation. You might investigate the Lightroom/AE route. It could be faster.

I would actually suggest a one-light through Resolve with no grading. Set the clips to render at the same size with the BMD Film profile. Render to 2.5K QT files. Edit in X normally and then roundtrip back through Resolve for final grading of the master.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:23:32 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I would actually suggest a one-light through Resolve with no grading. Set the clips to render at the same size with the BMD Film profile. Render to 2.5K QT files. Edit in X normally and then roundtrip back through Resolve for final grading of the master."

That's the workflow we will end up using, at the moment we're still testing the camera to find out where the issues are. Great article on workflows by the way

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]