FORUMS: list search recent posts

Huge file sizes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Flinn
Huge file sizes
on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:16:50 pm

I have been using FCPX for a while now and still have not been able to figure out how to fix my enormous file sizes. I exported a 7 minute video at 1920 x 1080 23.98 fps and it turned out to be 5 GB! I tried using custom settings in case the program was reading it wrong and I still got the same huge file. Surely someone has run into this issue and fixed it up. I have an iMac running Leopard do I need to upgrade? Would that even change file sizing?

Thanks all!!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Huge file sizes
on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:38:55 pm

You don't say which codec you are working in however for 7 mins of 1920x1080 ProRes 5 GB is about correct in terms of file size. So that in itself is not an issue.
You should easily be able to export an H264 or MP4 file from the "Share" menu which should be considerably smaller that 5GB - or for further compression options use send to Compressor.
You could also just take your 5GB file and use Compressor to make a smaller file or MPEG Streamclip there are quite a few options. Again H264 or MP4 may be appropriate but it depends on what you want to do with the final file.

One other thing - you say

[Mike Flinn] "I have an iMac running Leopard do I need to upgrade? Would that even change file sizing?"

As I remember Leopard is OSX 10.5.x and the minimum requirement for FCPX is 10.6.8 which is Snow Leopard so I am kind of surprised it let you install FCPX on that system. So ideally yes you need to upgrade your OS but in terms of file sizing that is not going to make any difference.
You just need to select appropriate compression software and a suitable compressed codec.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini

Return to posts index

Mike Flinn
on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:53:13 pm

Apparently I lied... It is Version 10.6.8 ha

But my codec is prores 422 yes.

If I were to need to give this file to another company to add their clips to that is my best move? Sending a 5gb file over?

I just know there are many other video files that are much smaller. I compress my videos in "MPEG Streamclip" to mp4's then I limit my data rate so it ends up being about half of a GB I think. I just don't understand how much larger files such as 120 minute movies fit on DVDs if my 7 minute clip is half of a GB compressed. Everyone else I've talked to says that these clips should be under 100MB, but I am the only one using FCPX.

Thank you so much for your help!

Mike

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:23:59 am

[Mike Flinn] "Apparently I lied... It is Version 10.6.8 ha"

No worries thought it was a bit odd.

[Mike Flinn] "If I were to need to give this file to another company to add their clips to that is my best move? Sending a 5gb file over?"

Yes certainly if the other company needed to further edit the file or grade or put through After Effects etc etc ProRes is totally the correct file to send.

You are correct there are many different codecs that would create files that were much smaller but they are not necessarily suitable depending on the workflow and process.

Codecs like MP4 and H264 are not frame based, they are highly compressed and as such are not suitable for editing. Fine if for web upload or for viewing though.

[Mike Flinn] " I just don't understand how much larger files such as 120 minute movies fit on DVDs "

DVDs are standard definition and use MPEG 2 compression. which is an even more compressed format hence the file size. Again pretty useless for editing but fine for viewing.

What you need to take into account is that different codecs are needed for different circumstances.

[Mike Flinn] "Everyone else I've talked to says that these clips should be under 100MB"

There is no 1 size fits all.

As an editor/colourist if I was working further on something you had created and you sent me an HD ProRes file I would be totally happy. Sure its large but its fit for purpose. If a 100mb MPEG2 file arrived I am going to call you up and ask for something better as it would be useless for re-editing/grading.

By the same token if I just want a quick viewing file then the compressed H264 fits the bill, I dont need that huge ProRes file. So its just about using the appropriate codec for whichever part of the process you are at and where you are delivering that file to.

Hope that makes sense.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini

Return to posts index

Mike Flinn
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:41:40 am

Thanks so much I am very grateful for your hlelp, I'm glad I wasn't out of my mind and you cleared everything up for me.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]