FORUMS: list search recent posts

Larry Jordan blogs on "is FCPX ready for Pro use" and "Will there be a new Mac Pro"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Eaks
Larry Jordan blogs on "is FCPX ready for Pro use" and "Will there be a new Mac Pro"
on Jan 28, 2013 at 3:13:23 pm

Is FCPX ready for professional use-
http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2129

And about the Mac Pro-
http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2119

Some good reading about stuff I just can't get enough of, and I'm sure many here are interested in as well. I really agree with Larry's points about the damage that was done to the image of FCPX at launch and where it is today. IMO Apple didn't just launch a piece of crap and say deal with it, they launched a piece of crap and said deal with it but with the intention of making it great with a fast paced update cycle... And they are doing that.

Quote- "So, in thinking about Final Cut Pro X today, you need to separate in your mind your reactions to the launch from your perception of the product.

Personally, I think the launch was terrible, but that FCP X is quite good."

Yup.

Your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Larry Jordan blogs on "is FCPX ready for Pro use" and "Will there be a new Mac Pro"
on Jan 28, 2013 at 4:14:30 pm

[David Eaks] "Personally, I think the launch was terrible, but that FCP X is quite good."

Yup.

Your thoughts?"

It's definitely head and shoulders better at this point than 10.0.0. Does it bring anything to entice users who are already editing primarily in AVID/Premiere? I don't think so. I think it might snag some users of FCP7 once they look to move off to something more up-to-date, but there are some things that absolutely need to be fixed.

First and foremost, the third party plugins bug. Having been bit by this already (requiring me to remove all third-party plugin usage from my project), this is a showstopper for a NLE that relies heavily on third-party plugins for extra features (including RGB Curves).

Second, the Event Viewer needs to be able to either playback or at least show a frame from the Project, and not just Events. This is useful for matching with a shot that might already be color corrected.

Third, I found the color board slightly counter-intuitive from the color wheel, which is found in every other NLE and color correction platform out there. That means that if you're able to wrap your head around using the color board for any significant grading process, then you'll probably find everything else counter-intuitive. I don't necessarily think this is a good thing, especially since I fail to see how the color board is an improvement over the color wheel. It's just different.

Since FCPX ties into online sharing services directly within the software, I want to see it upload to, say, Vimeo as it renders. There's no reason I can think of that it can't do this after it reaches a certain point, and would help with longer-form projects that need to be uploaded to the web (had this happen just last week).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Larry Jordan blogs on "is FCPX ready for Pro use" and "Will there be a new Mac Pro"
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:03:23 pm

I always enjoy Larry's writing. He has a good, balanced perspective.

My only quibble is that reading this, it reminded me (very powerfully) that I've been doing the same thing he's done here. Spending quite a bit of my writing time looking backwards. What happened at the Legacy to X launch is history. In digital terms, ANCIENT history. It's no longer particularly relevant to anything but working to extend peoples emotional woulds - and I for one don't want to do that kind of living too much in the past in my personal OR professional life.

So, from this point on, I'm going to try my best to let recent NLE history be just that - history.

I'm moving forward.

Less writing and debating about what Legacy was and even how X compares or contrasts to Legacy - and more about what I can do NOW, to leverage the quality and efficiency of my new toolset.

I'm comfortable as an X editor - just as Larry is. I don't have any reason to try to learn or support multiple editing platforms (which he clearly does) since I don't have a business model that requires that.

So ... forward for me.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 29, 2013 at 6:18:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "Less writing and debating about what Legacy was and even how X compares or contrasts to Legacy - and more about what I can do NOW, to leverage the quality and efficiency of my new toolset.
"

Fair enough.

[Bill Davis] "I'm comfortable as an X editor - just as Larry is. I don't have any reason to try to learn or support multiple editing platforms (which he clearly does) since I don't have a business model that requires that.
"

In my case, I've found using or, at least, thinking about multiple platforms extremely useful. Its strengthened both my understanding and toolbox in ways I'd never considered. I'm not comfortable settling on one NLE anymore. Frankly, I've found the whole experience quite broadening.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 29, 2013 at 8:03:26 pm

[Bill Davis] "I'm comfortable as an X editor - just as Larry is. I don't have any reason to try to learn or support multiple editing platforms (which he clearly does) since I don't have a business model that requires that. "

And you prevent your business from diversifying or getting new clients who may require just that because your tool of choice and toolset isn't suitable.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 30, 2013 at 5:52:46 pm

Bill, I'm in Arizona this week for a video shoot. Tomorrow, Thurs the 31st, I have the most of day open and thought it would be cool to meet with you just for a quick "Hello, FCPX is cool" and maybe grab a drink or something, if you have any time available. I'm staying in Cass Grande, will likely be in Buckeye at some point during the afternoon and don't mind putting miles o. The rental car.

Let me know if this sounds good to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]