FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bummed on FCPX, too bad Avid MC5 is back to full price

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Devino
Bummed on FCPX, too bad Avid MC5 is back to full price
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:52:37 pm

After reading all of the negative reviews I'm glad I decided to wait to download FCPX, I think it has potential but I don't see it being ready for pros for a while. I work in Hollywood, and Final Cut is definitely the most used app by editors working from home or at smaller post companies around here, but when you walk into a larger post facility or cutting room on a feature or TV show Avid is still the main NLE you'll run into. I run FCP7 at home, but run Avid on jobs all the time, and I was waiting to see what FCPX was like before I bought a copy of media composer for my home usage as well. So I just checked out Avid's website, the $1000 crossgrade was over on the 17th, and now I'm just kind of sad. Maybe we can band together and get Avid to reintroduce that pricing now that we've seen what Apple has done with FCPX. I'm sure they'd sell more than a couple copies. Anyone with me?

-Matt Devino
http://www.mattdevino.com

Return to posts index

Floris Kotze
Re: Bummed on FCPX, too bad Avid MC5 is back to full price
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:59:15 pm

Dude I'm so with ya! How should we go about doing this? I also went to Avid's site today, but to no avail!

Return to posts index

Mike Chapman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:00:10 pm

If Avid has any brains they'll roll out another sale very soon - the "Buyer's Remorse" special!

Mike Chapman
Senior Editor/Associate Producer
DigiNovations, Inc

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:08:11 pm

I was thinking that was strange they made that offer for about a two week period, until the 17th. Hmmmm...maybe they knew something...

Dave J

Return to posts index

Mike Chedwick
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:19:59 pm

AVID began it's $995 price at NAB so it was been out there for 2 months not 2 weeks. It will be back shortly if they are smart.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:21:18 pm

The offer was made the morning before FCPX was announced. It's been there for about 2 months. Go to videoguys.com and order it for $1,000 if you need it - they had some stock left yesterday. Not sure if they still do though.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:19:13 pm

I think videoguys has both promo offers (at least on their home page). MC5 for 995 or Production Premium for 799.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:20:03 pm

http://www.avid.com/US/specialoffers/fcppromotion

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:36:16 pm

I'd love to seriously consider it if it comes back at that price.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:48:34 pm

Avid Crossgrades are still available! We have some in stock, but they are going fast. trying to get Avid to release more units to us.

http://www.videoguys.com/Specials/Now+In+Stock.aspx

Attention Apple Final Cut Pro Owners: For a limited time only, you can upgrade to the complete Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium for just $799 or "crossgrade" to Avid Media Composer 5.5 for just $995 at Videoguys.com. Click here to read about all of your options and Videoguys recommendations.

Check out our SUPER bundle. Both MC5.5 and CS55 Crossgrades for $1,674 - Buy Both & Save an Additional $120

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:47:53 pm

BTW - Did I mention that we still have both Avid Media Composer 5.5 and Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium crossgrades in stock ;-)

Plus our new SUPER bundle that combines both offers for $1,674 and saves you an additional $120!!

http://www.videoguys.com/Specials/Now+In+Stock.aspx

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:23:49 pm

Thankyou, just purchased! Pretty much get Avid for free!

-Dane

-Dane Henry
DeepRootsMedia.com

Return to posts index

Karim Daire
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:40:41 am

Hi Matt,

I live in Germany... is your offer available over here too or does Adobe sell the Crossgrades over here? I can't find any similar european offers for adobe on their site or their licensed partners. Just crossgraded to Avid but no Production premium Crossgrade to find?!

Greetings,

Karim

-Karim-
Freelance Cutter, Compositor and Animator from Hamburg/Germany

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:52:24 pm

I just went on Avid and entered my serial #. The e-mailed me a code and a link; and when I went to check out, I applied the code. Cost comes to $998.00. Seems they are still honoring the discount!
Good bye FCP. Good bye Apple.
When you can purchase PC's for $1k that are nearly as fast as a $7k pro, and every other piece of software you use is capable on both platforms, well.... As a long Apple fan, I am truly sorry to see it end this way. It's like a girl (or boy depending on your preference) who's decided to break up with you for someone else. That pretty much sums up how this has become.

Tim
Long time apple fan, now in the market for a new business spouse LOL
Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio 7
Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Tim

Return to posts index

Floris Kotze
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:03:35 pm

Nice one! Just wanna see if Ill get my refund! Then hello my old friend Avid!

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:16:18 pm

Awesome news.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:59:47 pm

Keep in mind that there's a 30-day fully-functioning trial of MC available for anyone who wants to give it a run....

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:14:05 pm

Probably a REAL good idea to try it before you buy it.

Avid is widespread and says "Professional" to lots of folks, but I know many of FCP folks made the jump and were quite unhappy. Its GUI not as sophisticated and flexible as FCP 7 was. Its only 32 bit.Its a very proprietary system no easily accessible to third party solutions.

I know it has the rep as Hollywoods baby, but after 5 years of Media Composer and 12 of Avid DS, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever went back. Each to their own.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:39:07 pm

[Tom Daigon] "Its GUI not as sophisticated and flexible as FCP 7 was. Its only 32 bit.Its a very proprietary system no easily accessible to third party solutions. "

What's the last version of Media Composer you used? MC 5.5 has changed a lot in the way you can edit. It's much friendly to FCP editors.

If anybody decides to go with Avid, definitely download the trial and watch the tutorials on the Avid site. They'll get you started and explain the Avid way of doing things. Also, check your system specs against the Avid requirements - if you don't meet them or you're running to new of an OS or Quicktime and run into problems, it's not necessarily the software's fault. It could be your system (Avid is very specific about OS and Quicktime versions).

Michael

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]