FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac 27" processor quandery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
iMac 27" processor quandery
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:20:02 pm

I went to my local Applestore today and spent some quality time with the new iMac 27".

Much to my surprise I really liked and would have liked to have taken one home with me.

No chance! As you will know, a 3 -4 weeks wait and no 5% off business rate.

However the store does normally stock an almost top of the range model but with a 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 processor. I was aiming for a model with a 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7.

Would I notice a big difference in performance between these 2 processors?

I am also toying between a 3TB Fusion and 1TB Fusion and wonder if the larger drive would not be as responsive.

So any thoughts on my quandary would be welcomed.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: iMac 27" processor quandery
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:37:15 pm

Larry Jordan has posted some great articles on configuring a new iMac for video editing. We posted this one on our blog http://www.videoguys.com/Blog/K/iMac/Larry+Jordan+Editing+with+the+New+iMac...

We're in the process of updating our Thunderbolt Guide. (should be posted tomorrow) http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+Guide+to+Thunderbolt+July+2012+U...

In the update I give this advice:

What iMac configuration does Videoguys recommend?
We get asked all the time what kind of computer you need to run the latest NLE software. On the Windows side this is a complicated answer with many options. With a Mac it's easier to answer. If you go with the higher end model iMacs, Mac Minis or Mac Book Pros with i7 quad-core processors you will get excellent results.
If you want the best configuration for a new iMac for video editing, Videoguys recommends the 27 inch iMac with:

• Intel Core i7 processor
• 32GB RAM
• 1TB Fusion Drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX GPU

This is a fully loaded machine, and it's going to cost you about $3K, but it will run any Mac based NLE great and has all the power you need for all HD tapeless workflows.
If are on a tight budget the first place to look to save is by dropping down to the GTX 675MX GPU which will save you $150, the next place to cut is your RAM, down to 16G, but we can't recommend going down to just 8GB. That brings the cost down below $2500. If you are serious about editing video on a new iMac, that's the bottom. While you can configure the 21.5" model with an i7 processor, you are limited to the GTX 650M GPU, which only has 512MB of RAM, which just isn't going to cut it.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:55:04 pm

[Gary Bettan] "If you want the best configuration for a new iMac for video editing, Videoguys recommends the 27 inch iMac with:

• 32GB RAM
• 1TB Fusion Drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX GPU"

I second the i7, but I believe you should get the 768GB SSD instead of the Fusion drive (the spinning mechanical drive is only 5,200 RPM). The hard drive is going to be the primary bottleneck, and you can't upgrade it in the new iMacs, so you should go all out.

I'd also get 2GB of RAM instead of the 1GB for that very reason as well. Sure, you may not need it now, but better to have it in case you could use it in the future if none of the other specs on the machine require you to purchase an entirely new system.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:03:44 pm

FYI, The 27" spinning drive is 7200rpm for the fusion drive. I helped perpetuate that so now I'm trying to fix it :).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:43:41 pm

[John Davidson] "FYI, The 27" spinning drive is 7200rpm for the fusion drive. I helped perpetuate that so now I'm trying to fix it :)."

Bad John! Bad, bad John! ;-)

I'll amend my opinion from here on out.

Still, it's something to consider. Get a Fusion drive, stuck with it. It's impressive, for sure, but I think I'd suck it up and spend the extra for the full SSD.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: iMac 27" processor quandery - Videoguys Updates Thunderbolt Guide
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:08:37 pm

We just posted out updated Thunderbolt Guide. In it we spec out what we recommend for configuring your iMac for video editing.

Videoguys' 2013 Update on Thunderbolt

Gary

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

khaled tabbara
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:00:28 am

Does this COW5OFF code still work? on the Apple Website?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:34:48 pm

The COW5OFF coupon is for purchases at Videoguys.com only

Gary

Return to posts index

Anthony Burokas
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:31:37 pm

WHat of older models that actually supported two drives?
OWC made a kit to take the second drive SATA port and make an external SATA port, and no, they won't have thunderbolt, but the ability to install and upgrade your own separate SSD and HDD drives inside the box has appeal to me. THis way I can do a SSD to cover apps with some growth over time, and then a 3 TB media drive. I'd only have to offload projects when finished and done with them. FW800 would be sufficient for that.

Anthony Burokas ~ http://IEBA.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:23:37 am

[Gary Bettan] "That brings the cost down below $2500"

plus apple care plus tax.

I'm only saying this because the more expensive the total package out the door, the less of a deal killer any particular choice seems, psychologically.

For sure get the minimum ram and look to OWC or crucial to get your 32 gigs. Or 16 gigs. OWC has 2 x 8 gigs for $115. You can always add the other two later if the need is there.
Hold onto the original ram. Great way to find out if the ram has gone bad or something else when you start having problems.

Since it requires surgery to replace the hard drive, I think the sweet spot is 1TB fusion. Under warranty Apple will replace it. After that, you can elect surgery or just go external. We're most likely looking at about three years from now and fusion and SSD will be a lot cheaper and thunderbolt will have a lot more options.

Not sure if the Mac will boot with a dead internal drive. Hopefully by then the repair shops will be good at cracking open sealed Imacs and the new Mac pro will somehow blow these Imacs out of the best option for pro apps advice blogs.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jamie Pence
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:56:09 pm

Gary,

Great article on Thunderbolt... However, according to everything that I have read, it seems it's not possible to have CUDA computations from an PCI expansion chassis over Thunderbolt.

Bummer.

Jamie

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:04:43 pm

I've read the same stuff, but I've also spoken to product & engineering guys who tell me there is no hard technical reason why this can't work. It's one of Apple (and possibly Intel as well) not giving them access or support to make it happen. So it stays on my wish list!

Gary

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:27:46 pm

[Gary Bettan] "I've read the same stuff, but I've also spoken to product & engineering guys who tell me there is no hard technical reason why this can't work. It's one of Apple (and possibly Intel as well) not giving them access or support to make it happen. So it stays on my wish list!"

The truth is out there:

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jamie Pence
on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:21:24 pm

This is GREAT news Gary!

Let the hacking begin!

Jamie

[Gary Bettan] "I've read the same stuff, but I've also spoken to product & engineering guys who tell me there is no hard technical reason why this can't work. It's one of Apple (and possibly Intel as well) not giving them access or support to make it happen. So it stays on my wish list!

Gary

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!"

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:03:43 pm

It may be fun and appropriate to some, but those tricked out iMacs and Macminis as of today, January, 2013
ALL computers from Apple until now still CANNOT beat 6, 8 and 12 cores Mac Pros from 2009, 2010 and 2012

So, if one needs to add NVIDIA cards for enhancing operation with multiple softwares, and you want that to work
Mac Pro. This is what actually works if you want to do it. You can have any software. Any hardware. Mem chips
Any boot drive. SSD, etc Not only NVIDIA but pretty much every damn thing. That is what gets the job done.

The 12-core Mac Pros that are running today aren't going to be obsolete by Apple's current line until 2015
That's a bit sad, unless they update their workstation, of course, or even license some hackintosh vendor

My point is; Are you locked in with Apple software? IMacs, MBPs and enhanced Macminis are great!
You're not? Do you want to deal with "others" ? Want to expand your hardware capability?
Then probably not a good future there. Just saying...

Sure there's people working in 30 second commercials who can pull it off but that's the exception
Or people working in selected, cherry-picked parts of a bigger project, but that's not the rule
If you want to build a solid workflow from multiple software operations that's a no-brainer
I mean, if this is a Mac OS job, of course, get a Mac Pro

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Click on 64-bit for the chart I posted above

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:43:31 pm

A fully kitted 2012 MacPro has a score of 25486

An iMac has a score of 13982.

(I have no idea what that means in NLE terms, for NLE terms go here: http://barefeats.com/imac12p1.html , http://barefeats.com/imac12p2.html).

25486/13982=1.82

A MacPro is showing that it goes 1.8x faster on a Geekbench score.

A fully kitted 12 core costs: $7498 (3.06 GHz 12 core, 32GBs of Ram, 1 2TB hard drive, 1GB ATI 5870, AppleCare)

A fully kitted iMac costs: $3518 (3.4 GHz Quad core, 32GBs of Ram, 3TB Fusion Drive, 2GB Nvidia GTX 680MX, AppleCare).

7498/3518=2.13

The MacPro is 2.13 times more expensive to go 1.8x faster on GeekBench. You have a less universally compatible GPU with less Video RAM, you have a slower boot drive, you have no dual link 27" monitor.

If it's worth it, sure, by there's no question a fully maxed iMac is not a slouch, and you can buy almost two of them vs one MacPro.

Right now, it is the best bang for your buck in Apple land.

If you aren't in Apple land anymore, then none of this matters.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:25:05 pm

Thanks. I can't imagine there's much of a future with Apple.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:45:00 pm

[John Davidson] "Thanks. I can't imagine there's much of a future with Apple."

It's over.

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:23:42 pm

[John Davidson] "Thanks. I can't imagine there's much of a future with Apple.
"

Nah! Thank you for extracting the core of my post, that's exactly what I was trying to convey before.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:30:44 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "Nah! Thank you for extracting the core of my post, that's exactly what I was trying to convey before."

Not much a future for Intel motherboards either!

http://gizmodo.com/5978232/intel-to-stop-making-desktop-motherboards

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:49:08 pm

[Steve Connor] "Not much a future for Intel motherboards either!"

It's over.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: iMac 27
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:49:39 pm

The i7 has hyperthreading and the i5 does not. See this document for a discussion.

http://www.postmagazine.com/documents/SilveradoPrepforFCPX.pdf

As far as the Fusion drive IMHO as a system drive it looks great. I haven't seen any need at this point for a system drive over 1 TB. I'm using less than 200 GB on the system drives of my edit systems and most of that would not be accessed regularly. Either Fusion drive has 128 GB of SSD which should be enough for the way it works with regularly accessed files stored on the SSD section.

Typically you would be using an external drive for media so the extra capacity of the 3 TB Fusion would probably make a lot less of an impact than extra RAM and the 2 GB graphics card.

anickt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:11:43 pm

Why mess around?

Order the fully maxed iMac and wait.

If you start using fcpx to its full potential, you'll need every ounce (gram?) of CPU/GPU/RAM Apple can muster.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:33:05 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "rder the fully maxed iMac and wait.

If you start using fcpx to its full potential, you'll need every ounce (gram?) of CPU/GPU/RAM Apple can muster. "

Thanks - sounds like the right thing to do.

[Gary Bettan] "If you want the best configuration for a new iMac for video editing, Videoguys recommends the 27 inch iMac with:

• 32GB RAM
• 1TB Fusion Drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX GPU"

Gary thanks for that info - look forward to reading your updated thunderbolt drive test results- I'd read Larrys article/Blog. He's gone for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5 and hasn't as yet topped out the ram.

As with all these things the price does start to creep up very quickly and with a directq conversion from pounds to dollars the iMac 27" with this configuration + Applecare comes to £2,317.99 inc tax or $3,670.424

I asked one of the Guys in the Applestore to show me how to change the Ram and whilst a tiny bit fiddly it seems a simple task.

and Gary - how about opening a UK Videoguys branch?

[Craig Alan] "Since it requires surgery to replace the hard drive, I think the sweet spot is 1TB fusion. Under warranty Apple will replace it. After that, you can elect surgery or just go external. We're most likely looking at about three years from now and fusion and SSD will be a lot cheaper and thunderbolt will have a lot more options.

Not sure if the Mac will boot with a dead internal drive. Hopefully by then the repair shops will be good at cracking open sealed Imacs and the new Mac pro will somehow blow these Imacs out of the best option for pro apps advice blogs."

That is an interesting question as to hether the machine will boot from an external drive. With no home repair/replacement possible I would definitely get Applecare and buy a 1TB Fusion drive and A 2TB Time Capsule - although some people have given older models pretty bad reviews.

Return to posts index

Jason Bernagozzi
on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:24:53 am

The fusion drive is an unnecessary cost for such a small improvement. You get get an extremely fast SSD from OWC installed that would blow the fusion drive out of the water: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

I got the 6G extreme for my 2011 imac setup and I am amazed with the performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]