FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie eSATA Hub Thunderbolt Series?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
LaCie eSATA Hub Thunderbolt Series?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of using this eSata / Thunderbolt device.

I've got a stack of GTech eSata drives that I swap around and this could be a good solution to continue using them once I get a Thunderbolt equipped Mac.

I'm trying find what speed this eSata / Thunderbolt hub will enable and how it would compare to a dedicated Thunderbolt drive ( all seem to spin at 7200 rmp )

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: LaCie eSATA Hub Thunderbolt Series?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:15:35 pm

I've had it since it came out and I love it! It allows me to use all of my eSATA GRAIDs with my newer machine and it works very well. It's almost as fast as a dedicated TB drive but faster than it was with direct eSATA to a card on my Mac Pro! Highly recommend. You can use two drives at a time as well. Same as my eSATA card in my Mac Pro.

Thing that's also cool about it is that eSATA drives have dropped in price since TB so you can get em dirt cheap (just picked up a new GRAID 4tb for $279 compared to a RB GRAID for $700!). While we wait for TB prices to come down, this is a great solution!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:36:01 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that info - looks like a no-brainer to me and as you say eSata drives have dropped in price.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jan 18, 2013 at 7:22:33 pm

Would purchasing an OWC Q2 8tb enclosure be a more affordable solution via esata to tb connection than say buying a pegasus promise for an affordable raid 5 solution?

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jan 18, 2013 at 6:03:45 pm

It works great but there are also cheaper usb 3 to Sata adapters.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:08:53 am

[Paul Jay] "It works great but there are also cheaper usb 3 to Sata adapters."

Well that's another thing to consider, thanks.

And certainly a very cost effective solution for connecting a eSata drive to a new generation, USB3/Thunderbolt equipped Mac.

Do you think this would provide a robust and fast enough solution for editing?

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:49:21 am

I was a bit unsure of the LaCie hub when I bought one many months ago to connect a CalDigit eSATA drive unit to a new MacBook Pro, but it's been working perfectly for me.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jan 20, 2013 at 7:07:12 am

One thing to add.
If you have a G-Tech G-Speed eS RAID with only eSATA on it. And you've set it up with the G-Tech supplied SATA card. Then that kind of a drive does not work with Thunderbolt-SATA adapters.
G-Tech single drives and G-RAIDs do not suffer from this limitation.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]