FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Fail While Recording with Canon HV30

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Wade
Import Fail While Recording with Canon HV30
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:58:19 pm

I've just made the switch from iMovie 11. I am attempting to record and import at the same time into an event on Final Cut Pro X. The camera is connected to my Macbook Pro. Final Cut Pro X>File>Import>Media produces the desired result as far as the Canon HV30 appears as a camera found. When I click on >Import I am presented with the add to existing or create a new event, I have tried both options. There is a brief indication that there is importing going on only because the rectagular box says as much but within 2 or 3 seconds the message says, "Camera Not Controllable."

and there I am stuck.

Regards,

John
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Import Fail While Recording with Canon HV30
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:03:32 pm

Your MBP has a iSight/Facetime webcam as typical. Try capturing from that live and see if it works.
Are capturing to the internal hard drive or external and if external how is it connected?

You should update to OS 10.7.5.
As per Apple Tech Specs
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs/
10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.2
Also assuming you're on FCXP 10.0.7

Return to posts index

John Wade
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:10:12 pm

The internal camera is recognized and FCPX captures no problem. I also tried via iMovie11. Once again no problems. I am capturing directly to the internal hard drive of the lap top.

I am running OSX 10.8.2 and FCPX 10.0.07.

John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18:46 pm

If the camera is in HDV mode, as a test, quite FCPX, change the camera to DV mode, open FCPX and try again.

Return to posts index

John Wade
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:36:16 pm

I've tried in HD normal/24/30 and none work. However, DV normal and wide both work. Not sure what to make of that. Hope you do.

John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:46:54 pm

So at least we've narrowed it down to HDV.
FCPX has no problem seeing devices since webcam and DV Firewire work.

One more test. If you have an HDV recorded tape see what happens if you put a tape in the camera, play it back, try capturing the playing tape.

Canon HV30 is specifically listed as a supported camera too.
http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/cameras/en/index.html?

Return to posts index

John Wade
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:46:17 am

I just succeeded in getting an import to work if I have a tape in and hit record on the camera before I begin the import process in FinalCPX.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 18, 2013 at 1:32:51 am

Interesting. Apparently that impacts what's sent out of firewire in HDV mode. I have a hunch there's additional data that helps with the GOP based codec being sent.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 21, 2013 at 1:31:07 am

[John Wade] "I just succeeded in getting an import to work if I have a tape in and hit record on the camera before I begin the import process in FinalCPX."

John, I have a related problem. I have about 10 of the HV30s/HV40s. Last year's Imacs (800 firewire) and 4 to 9 pin cables. No matter what I try I cannot get the Imacs to see the cameras. Yes the footage is HDV. I have tried different cables (though all the same brand bought at once) different cameras different Imacs. The ports on the IMacs work because they do recognize drives connected to them. I have no other devices that use 4 to 9 pin so I can't test that. The cables were bought from BHphoto and not some cheapo brand.

By the way I called Canon tech support twice on this issue. Both times I was put on hold while support checked with some higher-level tech guy. The first time I was told that these cams don’t work with FW800. The second time I was told they just tried it and it works fine so it must be something on my end. That left the batch of cables I have.

I'm not following your solution: You have recorded HDV media on camera. You attach the camera to Mac and are in the capture/import window of FCP X, you put the camera in record mode and record some footage? Then switch to play mode and rewind to the beginning of your HDV footage and then FCP X recognizes the camera???

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Wade
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:19:00 pm

Also, FWIW, based on another thread I deleted two files com.apple.FinalCut.plist and com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist. Didn't work though.

Return to posts index

John Wade
on Jan 19, 2013 at 2:00:47 am

Thanks for everyone for their input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]