FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latest Rumors on Apple product line-up and release

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Phillips
Latest Rumors on Apple product line-up and release
on Jan 16, 2013 at 3:02:20 pm

Just for the sake of spreading rumors as no one really know what and when as it pertains to Apple, but the latest rumor showing products and release schedule can be seen here.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/apples-2013-product-roadmap-predictions...

No mention of MacPro, but again, being a rumor could be an oversight, no information, etc. If anything, I could see it being part of the "desktop" release in Q4 to complete the desktop story should one be in the works. The news of a product line being manufactured in the US was for the Mac Mini. And the other news is the R&D center being built in China. Perhaps to better meet the needs of the Chinese and other Asian markets, but it dilutes the "designed in USA" marketing currently being used. But perhaps the word "design" is specific to the look and feel only being done by Ives in the US? I don't know. Hard to beat Apple at Marketing.

Just more fodder for the discussion threads.

Michael

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Latest Rumors on Apple product line-up and release
on Jan 16, 2013 at 3:23:09 pm

It's amazing that so many are hanging on a single sentence from its CEO who basically said, "don't worry we'll have something cool in a year and a half."

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 16, 2013 at 3:40:00 pm

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "hanging on". The CEO of the company made a public statement that a new product for the MacPro market was coming in 2013. What's the confusion?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:19:03 pm

I'm certainly not hanging on to every word - just repeating. "Professional", "Awesome", and other superlatives need to be very explicitly defined as they can be interpreted in as many ways are there are those who hear it. Especially from a company that excels at marketing.

I am entertained by the amount of time spent on Apple watching from every aspect of the industry, and I certainly do not fall into the category that everything from Apple is a gift from God. ;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:32:28 pm

Ditto. I certainly am an Apple fan, but I didn't wait for a new MacPro. Mine was old a year ago and I got the 2011 iMac. At that point I figured I'd already waited a year for a thunderbolt MacPro. If Apple does come out with a new Pro machine, it's amazing that there will almost be 4 years between updates. What other company has customers faithful enough to wait that long? But heck, I've been a user since 91 when I touched my first Macintosh back in college. And at the time my father still worked for IBM!

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:48:15 pm

The "confusion" is we have no idea what the CEO was talking about. He didn't give any specifics, other than "something cool". Erm, ok great thanks

What's the confusion indeed.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:59:39 pm

I'm not sure what company you're thinking of, but Apple doesn't even generally acknowledge unreleased products. That fact that we know that something is coming, and that we even have a timeframe for release is way more than we've usually expect from Apple's cone of silence.

My comment about confusion stems more from people even supposing that a product will be released, rather than what it will be. Noone knows that.

It could be amazing or it could be disappointing, but within the next 11 months there'll be something.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:19:31 pm

Beg pardon, I think I misinterpreted your original comment.

Your clarification mirrors my feelings I think. I'm fairly indifferent as I struggle to imagine what they could really do that would knock socks off around the world.
Just knowing "something" is out there is profoundly unexciting. There always is!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:42:02 pm

[James Mortner] "Just knowing "something" is out there is profoundly unexciting."

I think it comes down to the fact that Cook did not call it a MacPro update. It'll likely be different than simply new Xeons, GPUs with the addition of Thunderbolt and USB3. Maybe some equate "exciting" with "good" (which is subjective) but a better word may be "controversial."

Whatever it is, unlike an "update" this will likely be a new design and it likely will generate controversy.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:50:28 pm

Well, I think the only purpose the statement realistically serves is to quell talk that Apple is abandoning the MacPro space. They're making SOMETHING for that space- it might or might not be a MacPro, but there you go.

The roadmaps for CPUs, GPUs, and Thunderbolt are already out there for this year, so I as well fail to see what any kind of MAMOTH surprise they can present from a hardware perspective.

And I'm not sure Apple needs to provide a blindside in this category. A modern and competitive solution that provides a platform for the next 5-10 years is all most people want.

People always want surprises from Apple, but the truth is that those don't come along very often, and even more infrequently when you're talking about traditional computing. Outside of the expected annual bumps in processor and graphics speeds, Display resolution seems to be only place where there will be a big shift in the next few years- and that will really just reset our expectations for performance like the transition to HD did almost a decade ago.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:17:06 pm

I wonder why people are riding the Xeon and Xeon chipset train. Given what most people think the new box might be (if there is any) there is very little a xeon will provide that is of any advantage compared to an i7. Performance wise, there is very little difference. Xeons can even be used in certain desktop motherboards for the i7 1155 socket.

Dual CPUs are out of the question if the current form factor is supposed to be changed drastically. You simply cannot cool dual xeons in a much smaller enclosure (unless you go with server fans at full whack.)

- Xeon chipsets can hold more ram which is not that relevant because apple will superglue the thing down so you can't get to it anyway. That plus it's unlikely most folks here are going beyond 48gigs of ram. Memory is registered and has error correction but that, too, isn't really that relevant here.

- More sata ports with raid capabilities which is irelevant because a) see point above and b) everybody predicts there will be limited to no internal expansion so the ports would be wasted anway

- More and faster pcie slots which is ireleavant because a) see two points above and b) everybody predicts pcie for expansion is not Apple's idea of how stuff should be connected so let's just get rid of it and buy expensive external thunderbolt boxes.

Leaves GPU and there is not difference between graphics that can be used with an i7 or a Xeon.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:09:53 pm

It really depends on one's needs of course. For editing itself i7 may be enough. The GPU is taking over more functions.

Many of us who edit have to be concerned about speed of delivery though. In many cases Xeons, especially dual CPUs can have a significant impact on compression. Given that anyone who is an editor might be fast with incredibly short turnaround, there's potential benefit. Again, that's not a scenario everyone faces but with many editors, compression speed is a constant concern and the demands for HEVC may increase the need.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:54:39 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "I wonder why people are riding the Xeon and Xeon chipset train. Given what most people think the new box might be (if there is any) there is very little a xeon will provide that is of any advantage compared to an i7. Performance wise, there is very little difference. Xeons can even be used in certain desktop motherboards for the i7 1155 socket."

I don't see Apple dropping all the way down to quad core, which means socket 1155 isn't an option. Where i7 might come in is that maybe they could drop dual sockets for a single 2011 socket. They could then hypothetically offer the six core i7 3930 (which is socket 2011) as the base level option, with an eight core Xeon E5 as a BTO upgrade option.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:52:06 pm

IMHO I look forward to any Apple offering that can use any of the following options:

All NVIDIA GPU options
All ATTO options
All high-end Thunderbolt options

If the iMac could take advantage of a Magma 3T with a single GPU, Id be happy with that :)

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:05:13 pm

[Chris Kenny] "I don't see Apple dropping all the way down to quad core, which means socket 1155 isn't an option. Where i7 might come in is that maybe they could drop dual sockets for a single 2011 socket. They could then hypothetically offer the six core i7 3930 (which is socket 2011) as the base level option, with an eight core Xeon E5 as a BTO upgrade option."

Just taking a look at some Intel roadmaps. Ivy Bridge E Xeons (which should be socket 2011) are supposed to be available in Q3 or Q4 with up to ten cores per processor. I think Apple would be pretty comfortable ditching dual socket if it only lost them two cores vs. the highest end previous generation model. They could just offer good-better-best models with 6, 8, and 10 cores. Or perhaps 4, 6, 8 cores, with 10-core as a BTO option on the 8-core model.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Robert Sala
on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:05:59 am

The sensible move on Macpro would be to cede the line to outside suppliers. Eg. Supermicro 7047 has 4 double 16x pci3 slots + 3 single slots, 8 disk bays, 3 5.25 bays, 1600W power supply, extra cooling etc etc. Just let this machine run OSX and everybody would be happy.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 21, 2013 at 5:17:40 pm

[Robert Sala] "The sensible move on Macpro would be to cede the line to outside suppliers"
Apple sells computers. It would be senseless for them.

[Robert Sala] "everybody would be happy."
Apple would lose money supporting the OS and FCPX. Apple is happy when they make a profit.

They're not inclined to be self destructive of revenue streams.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]