FORUMS: list search recent posts

Version 6.5 a big step forward for Edius

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic Deacon
Version 6.5 a big step forward for Edius
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:59:22 pm

Rule number 1 of editing may just be that you don't update versions on your software mid project but I got myself in a position where I had to. I'd been colour grading within Edius 6.0 (by-the-by masking and colour correction in Edius is pretty damned excellent) but had so many layers of corrections on some clips that the footage was starting to look a bit dodgy in 6.0's 8 bit colour space. Edius 6.5 is 10 bit so rather than remove all my filters and do the work in DaVinci I could just upgrade the software and export.

All worked fine. Colour banding issues I was having are gone and I was a happy camper. Unexpectedly though the new version of 6.5 fixes the major issue I've always had with the software. Edius may be the real time playback king but it's always choked on large projects. Mine had bloated to the point that it took about 7 minutes to open and while working I'd be getting the windows version of the beach ball every couple of minutes.

With 6.5 the project opens almost instantly and has not paused for breath once in the first couple of hours of use.

It makes a major difference to my perception of the software. I've always said that with it's speed and colour tools it's the best short form editor around but never use it on a feature. All of a sudden it's a viable choice for long form as well.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Version 6.5 a big step forward for Edius
on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:32:12 pm

I've always wanted to try it. If I wander back to PCs, I certainly will.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:37:33 am

You're a brave man, Dominic! I'm happy that all turned out for the best though. It sounds like Edius 6.5 really deserves a serious look from Windows users.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:42:04 am

How does this belong in an FCPX forum again...?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:02:58 am

[Marcus Moore] "How does this belong in an FCPX forum again...?"

Seems as appropriate as any of the Smoke 2013 or Avid posts. Isn't that part of the reason for this forum... to discuss alternatives to FCP Legacy - X and otherwise?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:24:06 am

Sorry, not trying to be catty about it. It just doesn't seem like it was framed in any way that made it relevant to, "FCPX or not". If there were points of comparison made I could see it. But this seems strictly Edius to me.

Maybe my interpretation of the thread is off...

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:03:09 am

Edius is one of the very strong "or not" options. I was just pointing out that with the new update its an "or not" option for a lot more people.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:39:53 am

Thanks Dominic. This is the right forum to bring news about developments with any NLE.

After 18 months I am still surprised when people wonder why this forum isn't just about bagging or lauding FCPX but hopefully a more eclectic collection of opinion and news about NLEs, DAWs etc. Recently there was a lot about Logic Pro an no-one blinked. I have been one to resist the changing of the name for historic reasons but perhaps if people think this forum is now 'owned' by FCPX users then lets change it.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:02:07 am

Well, Logic IS an extension of most NLE workflows. I don't know how that thread was framed, but one of the big areas of discussion around FCPX has been interoperability with other apps. So that seems particularly relevant. As would discussion around Smoke or Resolve for finishing, or AE for graphics- how well FCPX does or doesn't work with those apps/workflows.

I'm all for the discussion of other NLEs in this thread for those who are looking to make a decision on which way to go- that IS the point it seems. I guess what made me comment in the first place was that after reading the post, I honestly wondered if I was in the right forum- since there was no mentioning of X in any capacity. No point of intersection that would merit it's inclusion here instead of the Edius forum.

But if this falls in line with the forum, then so be it.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:17:41 pm

Surely the moderators aren't so slack around these parts that we have to self moderate?

But I didn't post this over on the Edius forum because not only is it tumbleweeds over there but I figured Edius users were already well aware of the improvements. This forum, in theory as I understand, is for ex-fcp7 users (I'm one) to debate their options moving forward. This is a serious option.

If I didn't compare it to FCX up front that that's only because in the areas that I consider important: Perfomance (for me perfomance is just how much you can do without having to render), versatility (the ability of the software to mould itself to its users prefered way of working), colour tools and stability (Edius has crashed on me once in two years. I'm told I'm unfortunate in that) Edius is so far in front of FCX in my eyes that they are not comparable. Obviously others value other things in edit software so there are other debates which is all well and good.

My point ultimately is, if you're a long form editor Edius is now as solid an option for you as it is for people working on commercials.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:44:02 am

I agree - although NLE related, the fact that Edius is a Windows ap means, just like Sony Vegas, it really is irrelevant. This is a FCPX forum and that means Apple hardware so...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:34:05 am

[Lance Bachelder] " This is a FCPX forum and that means Apple hardware so..."

Considering the number of platform discussions around here lately, this post still seems in-bounds. Maybe the name of this forum really should be changed...

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:53:50 am

[Lance Bachelder] " This is a FCPX forum and that means Apple hardware so..."

Sorry did someone post new rules over Christmas??

Previous discussions have covered Edius, Lightworks, Vegas and other non Apple software & hardware. It is a debate forum and all software and hardware is fine by me. How can you have a debate with the 'or not' bit with such exclusion?

So lets change the name not the rules.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:39:45 pm

Edius 6.5 is relevant also for pure Apple folks since the HQX codex now is also cross platform and can be used on Macs.
Unlike any other alternative, it is free, quality wise on-par with Prores and beyond, encode and decode on both PCs and Macs and it can handle SD, HD up to 4k and isn't tied to a specific container. It can be avi, mxf or QT.
There are tons of other great things in 6.5 and we are using it as our main editor now. It's the closest thing to what a FCP 8 classic could have been, imo even moreso than Premiere, so it could and should be of interest to people here.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:21:38 pm

It certainly is relevant here, there's plenty of cross platform discussion, "FCPX or not" can actually mean "Apple or not" as well.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:19:08 pm

As a user of both Edius and FCP (although not FCPX yet) I too am very pleased to see this here. I've yet to achieve a bulletproof way of swapping media between the two apps (and platforms) although I've not upgraded to E6.5 yet (still on 6)

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:50:55 am

[Dominic Deacon] "Surely the moderators aren't so slack around these parts that we have to self moderate?"
COW Forums have no moderators, and I agree that this is the correct forum to talk about whatever subject relevant to video editors in general most of all in a time of changes like the one we are living now.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]