FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey DRW, did we bring the Discreet edit* disease here?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Nicholson
Hey DRW, did we bring the Discreet edit* disease here?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:40:36 pm

I feel so guilty. I apologize for EOLing FCP. I'm infected. You too David.

Seriously, this really is an EOL for Final Cut. Just the simple fact of not being able to import projects from V7 is enough to brand it with the death tag. Now we have to keep our current version online for who knows how long whether we migrate (I will NEVER say upgrade in regards to the new software) or not. This is it for everything we've done with FCP (all the FCS apps for that matter) to date. Don't misplace those install disks folks...

Now I'm not saying that eventually the new software won't fulfill our needs, but how long till that happens?

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Hey DRW, did we bring the Discreet edit* disease here?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:04:48 pm

Feels like deja vu all over again.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:14:06 pm

This forum is full of ex-edit*ors. And all of us recognize the writing on the wall, we've been in this toilet before. The only difference is now they expect us to buy a new product from them, it would be like Discreet saying - yeah we screwed you on edit*, say you wanna buy a Smoke?

It may not be business wise but I've always suffered from what is known as Sicilian Alzheimers - it's where you forget everything except for who screwed you. I will never touch a Discreet and/or Autodesk product again, and if this goes down the way I think it will, I will never buy another Apple product - pro, consumer, whatever.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:20:02 pm

[Herb Sevush] " it would be like Discreet saying - yeah we screwed you on edit*, say you wanna buy a Smoke?"

Discreet did exactly that Herb. After abandoning us they had the nerve to offer us a 10% discount on Smoke as an appeasement.

As I've posted elsewhere: I've always hated the idea of paying to beta test for companies that knowingly release software that's not ready for prime time. FCP X is about the worst example ever. Heck, editors should get paid to polish turds, they shouldn't have to shell out 300 bucks to Apple for that privilege.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:34:41 pm

I must have better karma...or worse depending on how you look at it.

After seeing Larry S. demo Matrox Axio with Premiere Pro 1.5, I went that route, seduced, as usual by real time colour correction. But I suffered agonies doing long form documentaries and by CS4 I was seriously thinking of switching anywhere. Along came CS5 64 bit and all the agonies went away. Adobe tries hard to listen.

(Where is Larry, now?)

BTW Adobe has a full featured 30 trial for those long summer nights when your wife/girlfriend/dog is away visiting her mother and you feel like pouring your heart out to a new girl who will never betray your trust and just may show you some fantastic new tricks that you could never have dreamt existed.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:17:07 pm

David C.-

What hardware platform are you on?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:24:34 pm

Wintel - Xeon 8/16 core 24GB ram (which is good if you need Dynamic Linking with After Effects - otherwise 8-12GB is good)

Basically same specs required for a Mac Pro...add an nVidia gaming card (470+...whatever is supported) to leverage the CUDA RT effects and it flies.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:48:22 am

[David Cherniack] "(Where is Larry, now?)"

Hey I was wondering that too...Come to think of it where are the rest of the old crowd Ron Shook, Dave Friend and Marisu, are they still cooking?

We went the PPro/Axio route after using edit on XP for a while...We had a few stability issues when we got to CS4 (before Windows7) so we switched to MacPros and FCP.

I found the CS4 suite to be a bit bloaty and unresponsive and never got the opportunity to try CS5 on Windows 7. . .

. . . Maybe I will now.

BTW Anybody using it on a Mac?

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18:55 am

[Alex Hawkins] "BTW Anybody using it on a Mac?"

Probably not because most of the edit*ors who went the Adobe route stayed on Windows boxes. While I'm told that CS5.5 performs with parity on Macs I have no experience with it and most of the 3rd party IO folks maintains separate support lists for Mac and Windows because the drivers are different.

You might want to ask any questions in the Premiere Pro forum which is seeing a lot of curious FCP folks.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:56:03 pm

Cheers David, thanks will do.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:34:49 pm

[Herb Sevush] "it would be like Discreet saying - yeah we screwed you on edit*, say you wanna buy a Smoke?"
"I will never touch a Discreet and/or Autodesk product again"

You might want to rethink that. You would be missing out on a well developed & well supported piece of software.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:47:32 pm

You would be missing out on a well developed & well supported piece of software.

I never said Smoke wasn't a good product, I merely said the very idea of paying money to discreet / autodesk makes me wretch and I would sooner leave the business then have anything to do with them. There are many un-fair un-just things in the world I can't do anything about - but doing business with people who have already screwed me would make me ashamed of myself.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:44:54 pm

Does anyone here remember the rumor mill from four or five years ago?

There was talk back then of Apple building something as powerful as Autodesk's Flame or Smoke. Around that same time, it was rumored that Apple had a "gentleman's agreement" with Autodesk not to invade the hi-end post market.

Now a few years later we have Smoke on Mac and Apple's apparent retreat from the high-end post market.

I don't think this is a coincident.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:04:39 pm

Yes, I was a Discreet Edit* driver too, (pouring out a forty for my lost homie....). FCP is what I sold the office on adopting as the answer to losing Discreet Edit. I told the E1 today we're stuck: can't go forward yet, can't go back. We'll wait a year or so to see how things shape up, while evaluating the ooptions to crossgrade to another system, probably Premiere.

Apple has burned an incredible amount of goodwill and customer evangelism in this move of lopping off access to FCS3 and FC7, while offering a new product that's just not really ready to fully take over. You capture three quarters of the pro market with a product, and it comes with some, if not exactly "responsibilities", let's say "expectations". I would say 80 percent of the sturm und drang about all this would have been avoided, if they'd only left the old apps alive for a year's transition period. Then all this energy would have been focused on a sense of "hey, let's collaboratively help Apple finish off this new product with positive input, and make it even more awesome". Instead of the villagers with torches and pitchforks.

I think FCPx is the core of something that potentially will be great. That core was initially developed with a slant towards non-broadcast production, but it has potential to have more broadcast ability put into it.

I look at where FCS3 is, and it is like a sleek, streamlined steam engine at the peak of steam railroading in the 30's and 40's: powerful, fast, efficient... but perhaps an evolutionary dead-end.... and on the track next to it, a dumpy-looking diesel-electric engine is just being bolted together, and it is missing couplings and brakes, but you can see some potential there... The question is, how long do I stand around with a ticket in my hand before I can take that train somewhere I wanna Go? Or do I hop a competing train that is fully functioning and on-track?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]