FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone have any experience with MOD Machine (for content sales and delivery)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Anyone have any experience with MOD Machine (for content sales and delivery)
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:24:52 am

This product looks legit, but the initial info I got on it looked like an infomercial, so I got suspicious.

http://leapingbrain.com/

I'm just now researching it. It seems similar to iTunes in that the customer must download their proprietary software to view your content. They seem to have some very big music publishing customers, which adds some trust for me in their product/system. I don't know yet if forcing customers to download software to view my content is a good or bad thing.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Anyone have any experience with MOD Machine (for content sales and delivery)
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:44:51 pm

It's legit. I know the guy that made it. It's a facilitator of content along with the player of that content. The idea is that, like iTunes, you can open the MOD machine and new content just shows up when it's ready to be purchased. Enables convenience for both content creators and their customers. Great tool for training software because I think you can have content play like quicktime, but also have interactive playback as well (ie: click next when ready to move on).

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Anyone have any experience with MOD Machine (for content sales and delivery)
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:50:21 pm

[Andy Neil] "It's legit. I know the guy that made it. It's a facilitator of content along with the player of that content. The idea is that, like iTunes, you can open the MOD machine and new content just shows up when it's ready to be purchased."

Good to hear. The more I looked into it, the more legit it was looking. I just couldn't find anybody that I knew that could vouch for it. Have you used it or do you know anybody personally that has? I also wonder about their support. Their website only has email contact. Phone support is always helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:56:08 pm

I've played around with it when Josh (creator) built it and showed it off. I've been considering using it to publish some FCPX training I've been writing too. As I understand it, the majority of their user base surrounds music (lessons and other training), but he's expanding it to include film/video training as well.

It's a small company so email is the best way to get ahold of them for support. But Josh is always answering emails so I don't think you'd have any trouble getting help if you had issues.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:04:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this, we've been looking for something like this for a while

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:36:13 pm

[Steve Connor] "Thanks for sharing this, we've been looking for something like this for a while"

Steve,

As I said below in my response to Josh, I will move on this very soon. If you have any questions down the road about my personal experience with it, I will be happy to share.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:07:38 pm

Don't know anything specific about this approach, but I suspect the world of options for monetizing custom content delivery will make huge strides this year.

For instance Vimeo just added a "contribute" button capability to their Vimeo Pro accounts that enables voluntary PayPal transfers to flow from viewers to content creators. And just look at Apples iBook Authors program.

The pervasive Internet and the digitization of content is continuing to drive massive market change..

The massive players are eyeing this new ecommerce landscape just as are the smaller entrepreneurs. How it shakes out is anyone's gues.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Josh Mellicker
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:54:35 pm

Hello Dave, I am "the guy" Neil referred to :-) (we are an LA company with 7 people). I just wanted to mention that with MOD Machine, your customers don't actually have to download anything to view the content. Right after purchase, on the receipt page, there is a big green "Watch Now" button that takes them to a secure "theater" in their browser.

However, people seem to really value the desktop player, and I think that is the secret to why our clients are doing so well. In a world where most any 10-year-old can post streaming videos, the downloaded player means they've purchased something special and valuable. Although most of the products in our library are $25 - $50, we do sell product bundles for $500 - $800 that do surprisingly well.

In our experience, customers who purchase something, whether an album from iTunes or a book from Kindle, want it to download onto their computer/tablet/reader/whatever so they can watch what they own anytime, even if their connection is flakey or they are offline. It creates value for a digital product that a stream cannot. People want to "take delivery" of things they buy, even digital things.

So that's why we focus on selling downloads, but also offer complimentary streaming access as well for convenience's sake.

Also, we just can't offer phone support, but our email support is very responsive.

Thanks for your interest, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Josh

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:13:19 pm

Nice Josh!

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:32:58 pm

[Josh Mellicker] "Hello Dave, I am "the guy" Neil referred to :-) (we are an LA company with 7 people)."

Josh,

Thanks for jumping in here. As I research more and more (I'm careful because I've been burned a few times by web businesses), I find more and more people I know that know you personally and it's all been very favorable.

I've been teaching in a music store in Santa Monica for over 30 years now with Fred Sokolow who does a lot of work with Stefan Grossman. I emailed Stefan yesterday and he got back this morning with nothin' but good things to say. So, I'm in. I have a coupon code for a sale that's good until 1/15/13, so I will take advantage before it expires.

I've been so busy these days shooting, editing, and posting (to my website's Member Area) new 3-a-week live online classes via Adobe Connect that I haven't had time for anything else. But, somehow I'm sure I can find the time to get the MOD Machine set up to make some additional revenue from these classes. Hopefully, this weekend I'll get moving on it.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]