FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX for schools

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Dawson
FCPX for schools
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:37:35 pm

We have 20 edit stations using Final Cut 7 and some use Smoke. That means we are now teaching a dead Apple product. There is no point to continue on with 7 because the students will not be able to buy it anyway when they graduate. Change to FCPX? We have the same problem that the post houses have. Servers, EDL, etc. In any case, it's clear that FCPX version 1 will not be in the post houses so why teach it?

Will version 2 be more pro friendly? There is no way of knowing. We are left teaching a dead product.
Clearly we need to change to something else this summer. If you were hiring people fresh out of college,
what software would YOU what them to know?

Bill

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
Re: FCPX for schools
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:40:50 pm

I face same issue, but teaching at a small private high school, I will probably ask school to buy two sites of FCPX.

The most basic work that newbies learn on FCP7 is fine, because that Timeline and Source-Record metaphor coincides with Premiere, Avid, Vegas etc etc. So they get the concept.

We'll then play around with the new product to see how the kids can switch from one paradigm to another.

Of course, I am not turning out college grads who need specific trade skills.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:07:42 pm

This the exact same problem I am dealing with. I recently took over and retooled a Media Production department. I am an Apple-certified trainer in FCP7, and wanted to possibly start a certification program at our college. Now I don't even know what to do in that respect. Is Apple even allowing FCP7 workshops and certifications any more?

AS far as the professional world, there is no way I would want to send a graduate into the workforce without knowing FCP7, and probably not for another year or two. We just don't know at what pace companies will replace their FCP7 systems, and what will they replace it with.

But yet, how do I not teach them FCP X, since it is the new thing? Fortunately, Apple's version of maintenance licensing will give us the new FCP products for free, and also still allow us to access and install old versions of FCS (this might be the solution for those who are looking for a way to add FCP7 seats going forward).

Quite honestly, the most logical option for my curriculum seems to be teaching FCPX in the intro class, and then adding FCP7 in the advanced class. How's that for some backward logic? But when you think about it, it's the only way that makes sense.

Of course, I will have to supplement the advanced editing curriculum with another platform, since we know FCP7 will eventually disappear from the market. For that, Premiere seems to be the most logical choice, since I am also looking at a maintenance license for CS Production Premium. Since I consider After Effects to be vital to any media production curriculum, it becomes a financial bargain.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Bill Dawson
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:40:00 pm

We have CS Production as well and are giving it serious thought. Since it's summer, our students are one to two years away from graduation and we very much do not want to teach a dead product.

Bill

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:33:04 pm

Media Composer

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:43:30 pm

Throw Maya in that mix while you're at it! :-p

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:54:46 pm

For the university where I teach classes, we're going to wait at least until the end of 2011 to see what Apple does (we currently run FCP 7 on everything, and Avid on a few machines). If Apple doesn't step up their game by then, our money goes to Media Composer.

At the university level, you have a responsibility to prepare the students with software that they will use in the professional world. And I can't imagine many of them successfully marketing their abilities with the current configuration of FCP X once they leave school. FCP used to be an easy bet for anyone who wanted to start editing, and Avid for the "serious" editors who wanted to be bilingual (as it were). We're all concerned that FCP won't be worth learning two years from now, at least for the aspiring professional.

Here's what I'm telling anyone who doesn't understand the problem: it's the UNCERTAINTY that's killing us. We have budgets to arrange, computers and software to purchase, classes and syllabi to prepare. And all of a sudden one of our primary resources seems to be flaking on us. This could be a real wrench in university-level video production classes for a while.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:20:55 pm

In a way, I don;t think you really have anything to worry about.

I have always been of the opinion that you teach EDITING, not specific hardware or software, which is always going to change. I've had to learn eight different linear or non-linear systems so far in my 23-odd-year career, and most of those systems are long extinct. The talent for cutting is the only constant.

If you are only teaching these kids the sequence of buttons to push on ANY brand of software or hardware, you should refund their tuition. A certification in any platform by itself emans nothing regarding editing ability. There are "academies" galore out there that promise to teach you everything about platform-whatever in between a weekend to two weeks to eight weeks. They are like the old "broadcasting schools" that churned out radio announcers by the millions... for a market of hundreds.

The most important things the kids need to be trained on are how to decide where and when and most of all, WHY to make a cut, a dissolve, etc. and the tool they do it with is secondary.

I've spoken with plenty of facility owners over the years who all told me the same thing: they look at an editing job applicant's REEL first. And no good reel has anything you can point to and say: "oh, that could only have been done in an Avid, or only have been done in FCP, etc."

"I can teach a kid a program he hasn't used, in a week or two", the facility managers say to me; "What I'm looking for is someone who knows how to tell visual stories first, and how to collaborate with our clients to realize their vision."

That's what the kids need to be taught, IMO. Platforms, they'll quickly pick up on their own, if they have access.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]