FORUMS: list search recent posts

Predictions for FCPX in 2013

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Predictions for FCPX in 2013
on Jan 1, 2013 at 5:00:12 pm

So it's 2013 and despite Aindreas's best efforts, FCPX doesn't appear to have been EOL'd yet, what features do we think we'll be seeing added to FCPX this year?

I think Apple will add an audio mixer or at least add a "send to Logic Pro X" function. I think we'll also see some big improvements in collaborative workflows. I would also hope for "send to Motion" back this year.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Predictions for FCPX in 2013
on Jan 1, 2013 at 5:44:48 pm

The areas I'd like to see advancement in are

• audio mixing either within FCPX or with tight Logic integration
• collaborative workflow
• better visual project organization using Roles data
• rock solid and redundant backups for those who need it (I've personally never lost data but feel for those who for whatever reason are)
• roundtrip to motion
• bring back iChat theatre to FCPX
• more metadata options for Events, like person detection and dialogue transcription

and BONUS:

• a new MacPro so people can stop grousing about it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 1, 2013 at 7:26:47 pm

The hard thing about predicting which features are coming when, is that Apple's feature progression isn't "linear" for the user. I think that's because Apple's approach is based on the logical progression for the programmer.

I could probably just post to link to Richard Taylor's Feature Requests and simply say "everything."
http://fcpx.tv/top.html

But what I'd like to, in addition to what Marcus posted:

• Tracking in Color grading
• Multiple Scopes
• Timeline clips in both Viewers for grading
• Ganging in the Viewers
• better Roles targeting while editing
• x264 encoder implementation in Compressor (and FCPX) for encoding
• see Source Timecode in the timeline
• full import and use of metadata created by cameras (lens type, f-stop, etc)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 1, 2013 at 8:34:56 pm

I'm working on a blog post about this-

I think the biggest deciding factor for where development will take the application this year is if Apple thinks it has another year of filling the holes in functionality that keep legacy users from moving over, OR if they think they're ready for a 10.1 update.

If we continue along our current path, then updates will continue to be free, and the features added will continue to build on reintegrating and improving the legacy feature set.

But if the goal is 10.1- then that will be a paid update, and obviously the dev team will have to present a compelling set of features which would merit another $299 from users. And these would have to be NEW features that expand beyond those found in FCP7. But I would consider any major advances in collaborative workflow "new" since those were part of Final Cut Server, and not FCP itself.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:09:18 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But if the goal is 10.1- then that will be a paid update, and obviously the dev team will have to present a compelling set of features which would merit another $299 from users. And these would have to be NEW features that expand beyond those found in FCP7."

So many of the feature lists many of us have are focused on improvements of previously existing features or improvements on currently implemented features.

[Marcus Moore] "But I would consider any major advances in collaborative workflow "new" since those were part of Final Cut Server, and not FCP itself."

But some would consider that yet another reintroduction of something people have lost. While paying for that would be worthwhile for any facility who would otherwise like to implement FCPX, I'd imagine they'd have to add some other amazing things to get the rest of the masses to jump in and on up.

What other entirely new features do you envision in addition to server based implementation?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:31:27 pm

If someone who was using Final Cut Server can now get all that functionality at $299 bundled with FCPX, I don't see anyone complaining... Ok, Well, I can, but whatever...

[Craig Seeman] "What other entirely new features do you envision in addition to server based implementation?"

There's no single feature that would merit a paid upgrade. But here's a short list of what I'd consider "new" to the FCP platform.

• bus-based mixing- allowing you to assign roles to different sub-mixes for grouped audio fx and levels
• dialogue transcription- already found in in some other NLEs [I can't remember which], but would go hand in hand with FCPXs metadata-based foundations
• person identification- like in iPhoto
• connect clip rules - allowing you to assign behaviours so that connected clips can automatically match any trim, roll, etc. adjustments you make to the primary storyline element, or vice-versa
• more render tasks pushed into TRUE background processes, like exporting is now
• audio repair - FCPX would find "room tone" for any audio clip, and if you want to eliminate a breath, or "um", just range select it and hit "repair". Non-destructive of course

I have more as part of my blog post, I plus more expanded ideas on these, but I don't want to blow my own article completely...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 2, 2013 at 12:11:13 am

I think we're going to have a lot of fun talking about your blog post.

I read your "Part 1" look at the past year. It'll be interesting to discuss how our "crystal balls" work.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:33:09 am

I think it's a shot in the dark. There's clearly some low hanging fruit for the FCPX dev team to tackle.

But whether we get another feature-rich update early next year or not, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where 10.1 doesn't appear this Summer.

Last year I was extreemely doubtful about 10.1- there was too much left to do. But for 2013, I just don't think there's another year of holes to be filled.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:18:15 pm

I don't think Apple will ever make it a paid upgrade. There is no upgrade mechanism in the app store. It would simply have to be another app. What would they call the new app? FCP X Space? FCP X Seasons?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 1, 2013 at 7:33:50 pm

[Marcus Moore] "• a new MacPro so people can stop grousing about it."

Although I think the grousing will escalate once it's released. Some people will hate it because it's not a tower. Even if it has 16 core Xeons with an nVidia Quadro K5000, people will complain because there's no internal HDD expansion nor 4x PCIe slots. That you can rack mount it or more easily transport it than the current 40+lbs current behemoth will have no comprehensible value. Sorry if I'm being a bit sarcastic but I think there's at least a "half truth" in that.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 1, 2013 at 8:26:29 pm

I think the form and implementation of what this new MacPro will be is [besides FCPX development] the most engaging question for me this year.

In practice I only see two forms the product can take- either one similar to what exists now, with all the up to date CPU, GPU, RAM, and I/O that the current MacPro lacks.

The only alternative would be a modular design tied together by Thunderbolt, but until we're at 100GB/s, that's not going to happen.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:00:37 pm

[Marcus Moore] "but until we're at 100GB/s, that's not going to happen."

Though this is interesting:

Fiber Optic Thunderbolt Cables Begin Mass Production, Available Up to 30m in Length
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/31/fiber-optic-thunderbolt-cables-begin-ma...

Not to say that that means that optical Thunderbolt at 10Gbps is close but...

[Marcus Moore] "In practice I only see two forms the product can take- either one similar to what exists now, with all the up to date CPU, GPU, RAM, and I/O that the current MacPro lacks."

I'd be surprised if Apple were that conservative with the design.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:06:57 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'd be surprised if Apple were that conservative with the design."

Similar form, but not the same. But I've yet to see anyone suggest what an "alternate" platform would look like. Either its an integrated design [like the current MacPro], or a modular design. Since modular isn't possible at this stage- that just leaves integrated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:30:41 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But I've yet to see anyone suggest what an "alternate" platform would look like. "

I've made a number of posts on this but maybe my thoughts fall into one of your two categories.
I've called it a "pizza box' of sorts but that might well be considered a narrower tower if you put it on its side. I think they'll be one or two 16 lane PCIe slots but no 4 lane PCIe slots as that'll be Thunderbolt. I have mixed feelings about internal HDD storage, while I'd certainly like that, I can imagine Apple getting rid of that as well due to Thunderbolt. I have more details to add but I've posted it before. I can post it again if you'd like.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:33:36 pm

That's still an "integrated" design, with Thunderbolt as a faster optional expansion port; but in a rack-mountable form, if I'm imagining it correctly.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:47:00 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Although I think the grousing will escalate once it's released. Some people will hate it because it's not a tower. Even if it has 16 core Xeons with an nVidia Quadro K5000, people will complain because there's no internal HDD expansion nor 4x PCIe slots. That you can rack mount it or more easily transport it than the current 40+lbs current behemoth will have no comprehensible value. Sorry if I'm being a bit sarcastic but I think there's at least a "half truth" in that."

It all depends on what you actually want to do with this system. Another possibility is that the machine stays the same size, and then people complain it's not smaller.

I travel a lot for work, and I'd love to have a powerful system that I can fit in a Pelican case that in turn fits in an overhead compartment. I do see the value in a smaller system, but I also see value in internal expansion. In a perfect world, there'd be both form factors to choose from, so you could get the machine that best suited your needs.

But on the rack-mount thing -- Apple could have made the G5/Mac Pro rackable any time they wanted over the last decade by tweaking the industrial design one inch (or designed it to be the right size in the first place). Why they never did this is beyond me. The Z820 has a rack-mount kit, and it has more comfortable carrying handles, fits one extra drive bay, fits three extra expansion slots, and fits eight more RAM slots than the Mac Pro.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 1, 2013 at 10:22:36 pm

[Marcus Moore] "• audio mixing either within FCPX or with tight Logic integration"

This is at the top of many's list and I believe will be part of a free update.

[Marcus Moore] "• collaborative workflow"

Less popular but key to FCPX being adopted by larger shops with shared storage. I think this will be part of a paid, hopefully 10.1, version.

The question is: What can Apple do specifically to improve collaborative workflows?

What kind of collaboration are we talking about?
Moving FCPX projects to other apps for grading and audio.
Offline/Online
Multi-user editing with shared storage.

The first two are in pretty good shape. That leaves multi-user editing with shared storage.

Not to rehash Events Good or Bad but how Events work is key to truly sharing projects and more importantly Events. With local storage and a single user, Events organize and present a single view of all media to present and future projects, it's really a nice built in MAM. Any metadata additions are applied to a single presentation and there are no duplicates to worry about.

Once an Event is placed on shared storage and shared (really duplicated) it's shared singularity vanishes. Each Event on a San Location is only available to one user. This forces one to duplicate Events into new San Locations in order to work concurrently. Every duplicate made to allow another editor to work with the same media invites additions/changes to the original event. This is entirely counter to a proper MAM which presents the same view of all asset to all users.

Restoring the singularity of Events to shared storage is key to multi-user editing. In my opinion.

So how does Apple do that?

John

Return to posts index

andrew burke
on Jan 1, 2013 at 11:54:17 pm

I'm usually not one to go on record with predictions, but I'll jump in here.

In 2013, Final Cut Pro X will gain minor collaboration updates, and benefit from a re-designed "booster rocket" MacPro that attaches to any other Mac to perform heavy lifting.

Like early OS X, Final Cut Pro X may only get minor updates for a year while people revisit it. Apple has changed so much, that there's really not much to add to it for their target audience. I heartily enjoy using it and I: a) never shot betaSP, b) work primarily on a laptop, and c) make a living from video production

As long as we look back to the original Macintosh and OS X and the iPad, everything becomes really clear with Final Cut Pro X: make something that's usually overly-complicated into something that's approachable and fun.

-Andrew

Mooing the lawn.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:22:36 am

[John Heagy] "Restoring the singularity of Events to shared storage is key to multi-user editing. In my opinion.

So how does Apple do that? "

Well, as I understand it, FCPX is built on the same database structure as FinalCutServer was, so theoretically anything that people USED to do with FCS is possible with FCPX, but as we've seen, the dev team doesn't seem interested in merely reintegrating old functionality.

I never worked with FCS, so I'm not sure of it's limitations.

From a practical working perspective, an Event being used by multiple users simultaneously needs to be able to leverage the input from multiple users across all users, while at the same time allowing an individual editor to filter out the information he needs from all that metadata. Events need to be able to be updated with footage or logging info, and have that perpetuate down to all users without screwing up the database.

Perhaps it could be possible to assign logging info to a specific user. So you could have a MASTER metadata file, with information considered universal to all jobs using the Event [names, places, etc.], and then have USER metadata files generated when an editor adds his own notes, favourites, or ratings to the material. that way two editors can have their own separate subsets of metadata for the Event for their own specific jobs, and if a 3rd job is started by another editor, that editor could choose to leverage just the MASTER metadata, one of the USER metadata file, or all of it depending on what is relevant to the new job.

I'd give huge bonus points for Apple considering virtual studios as well, allowing editors working in different cities to have local copies of the footage, with the Events syncing over iCloud. Perhaps even have new footage added to the Even that a remote editor doesn't have automatically download as ProResProxy until the original full-size file can be transferred.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:02:15 am

[Marcus Moore] "FCPX is built on the same database structure as FinalCutServer"

I was never a fan of FCS and prefer it never come back. Any Asset Manager that starts life dealing with only images and later adds video never works very well. FSC was born from Art Box... nuff said.

[Marcus Moore] "Perhaps it could be possible to assign logging info to a specific user."

Managing write access to metadata will require user permissions (Open Directory) and a centralized server/database. Saving projects directly to this database, much like Adobe's Anywhere, would make sense.

Deciding how to manage global/institutional metadata vs user/project metadata is the real trick. User permissions could easily lock certain users from changing certain fields. Locking everything up would limit much of FCPX's abilities. There could be a user set of metadata that would follow the user login but never be part of the global. This could be viewed by other users but not changed or eventually added to the global.

John

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:18:12 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Well, as I understand it, FCPX is built on the same database structure as FinalCutServer was, so theoretically anything that people USED to do with FCS is possible with FCPX"

Is it?

I've seen Ben Balser say that events are built on the Final Cut Server database engine, but I kind of don't believe him.

I am happy to be corrected here, but wasn't FCSvr was Postgres, while FCPX is CoreData/SQLite? And doesn't FCPX talks to CatDV, but not FCSvr? They may share some structural similarities since they are both MAM databases, but wasn't FCPX developed in-house at Apple from the ground up?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Philip Hodgetts
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:06:01 pm

Ben is not correct. Final Cut Pro X's Events and Projects are based on Core Data with an SQLite database underneath. FCXvr was based on a different database. There is NOTHING of final Cut server in Final Cut Pro X, nor any of FCP 1-7.

That it is core data based was confirmed by Jud Coplan on June 13, 2011 in my initial briefing. It's not in doubt.

Philip Hodgetts
President, Intelligent Assistance
AssistedEditing.com Fast First Cuts, Metadata Worfklows
Big Brains for Rent bigbrainsforrent.com
The New Now - Grow your business - ProAppsTips.com
Personal Blog http://philiphodgetts.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:16:37 pm

Rather than battle a point that's not mine, I just asked Philip Hodgetts for his take.

He seems fairly confident that the database IS based on CoreData/SQLite. And I'd think he'd know.

I have no clue what possibilities or limitations this means, but I thought I'd try to set the record straight.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:46:22 pm

Thanks, Philip and Marcus.

Any Wikipedians [link] among us?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:16:46 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I am happy to be corrected here, but wasn't FCSvr was Postgres, while FCPX is CoreData/SQLite?"

You are correct and that is one big barrier to making FCP X Events/Projects shared via reading the same event out of a san location on shared storage. SQLite is one user at a time. To get multiple people reading - not even reading and writing - just reading - from the same exact event at the same time on shared storage, you'll need a new database type under the hood or an external server with a check in/out scenario or permission controls, or a little of both even. SQLite is the only cocoa compliant db I'm aware of, so you are talking not only about a big overhaul but also about going off the reservation if you want to do it "in app". I doubt that would be how it happens.

So if it happens, will it be through an external server control or, through a peer to peer check out/check in share process tracked in app? How does it work from a user standpoint?

I could imagine an app to app method through the share menu. You send someone an invite to share a section (compound clip) of your project or an event for example. When both inviter and invitee are on line, the exchange of db data could happen as a background event. When the invitee returns the share, you'd also need processes for accepting, rejecting or merging returns. I could see auditions being extremely powerful in this scenario. It gets complicated if it is a remote share process where proxy media is involved and then offline/online processes are needed as well.

No matter the method, here are some of my wish list items for collaboration/sharing:

1. Live updated master/slave event sharing and project/compound clip check out/in process.
2. Share of timeline and events not only to peers, but also to render machines for background rendering, exporting and analysis. If you are going to share the stuff, why not share it to machines available for processing?
3. Live updates to shared events so that new data can be read in real time (for growing file type applications).
4. APIs for pushing shared event data back out to a MAM
5. Background "Share" transfer and updates of databases to the peer or control server. Unobtrusive notifications in the app.

It seems like they have a good base to create a great collaborative tool. From our standpoint we'd love to see it happen.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:35:21 pm

[Keith Koby] "So if it happens, will it be through an external server control or, through a peer to peer check out/check in share process tracked in app?"

I've been wondering the same thing. Client/server is the traditional model, but could peer-to-peer be viable? Could it be scalable?

Is collaboration even something Apple would be interested in, or is it too niche-within-a-niche? Maybe better collaboration through some kind of file-based interchange is more likely?

[Keith Koby] "How does it work from a user standpoint?"

I think this the hardest part of multi-user collaboration. Multiple users banging on the same database is an easy technical problem. Making sure that one user's work doesn't step on another's without being overly restrictive on what they can do -- that's hard.

Accepting/rejecting/merging changes is an interesting question from a UI standpoint, too. It's easy in a Word doc, and very straightforward to visualize, but it's a bit more complicated and potentially mind-bending in FCPX.

An interesting area for thought is how the magnetic timeline parent/child data structure of FCPX projects may affect conflict resolution. It will create dependencies; some child-level changes will be dependent on parent-level changes. I think that this (plus the deep undo that suggests some kind of transactional tracking would be doable) could make for a very powerful conflict resolution system.

[Keith Koby] "No matter the method, here are some of my wish list items for collaboration/sharing:
1. Live updated master/slave event sharing and project/compound clip check out/in process.
2. Share of timeline and events not only to peers, but also to render machines for background rendering, exporting and analysis. If you are going to share the stuff, why not share it to machines available for processing?
3. Live updates to shared events so that new data can be read in real time (for growing file type applications).
4. APIs for pushing shared event data back out to a MAM
5. Background "Share" transfer and updates of databases to the peer or control server. Unobtrusive notifications in the app."

Keith, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Adobe Anywhere.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jan 3, 2013 at 2:17:44 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Keith, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Adobe Anywhere."

I really don't know much about it. I've only seen the mutton chop video on their website. They don't explain how it really works in that video, but it looks like you need an array of servers to do the crunching to whatever proprietary format they would use for streaming. Then all the rendering happens back in the datacenter.

I'm curious how much it costs and if you can use their streamed video to go out to an external monitor at the remote site. Also what happens when the remote editor goes to grab his/her favorite plugin but it isn't installed on the server back in the data center. Or for that matter is their favorite font available?

I know of several editors who would be really into working from home.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:00:53 pm

[Keith Koby] "I really don't know much about it. I've only seen the mutton chop video on their website. They don't explain how it really works in that video, but it looks like you need an array of servers to do the crunching to whatever proprietary format they would use for streaming. Then all the rendering happens back in the datacenter."

There's a much better article on Adobe Anywhere at fxguide [link], but I don't expect to see much more about the specifics until it ships.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 5, 2013 at 11:43:42 am

We are all looking forward to talking about Adobe Anywhere in the future. It's exciting stuff.

Return to posts index

andrew burke
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:18:20 am

I will also pitch the prediction that X gets a full number upgrade to "XI", in a rebranding effort. Final Cut Pro XI. This could diffentiate a product that just entered the market from one with it's wrinkles ironed out. It's no major rebrand like Phillip Morris becoming Altria, or Blackwater becoming Xe and then later becoming Academi. But it serves the same purpose in redirecting attention.

Not really a feature, but indicates new features.

-Andrew

I'm here because I'm not all there.

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:04:21 am

My prediction is that NOT ONE feature will be cut on this POS.

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:32:11 am

It's the measured and thoughtful responses like these I really value...

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:37:43 am

Thanks ;)

Wrong Beach Multimedia

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:38:01 am

[Paul Harb] "My prediction is that NOT ONE feature will be cut on this POS.
"

Having already cut a feature on it and read of other who have as well then I predict you might be wrong.

Now if you're talking MAJOR feature then for this year at least you might be right. Thing is, you might think it's a POS but there are lots of people who don't. Some of todays low to mid budget filmmakers who are using FCPX will be next years big budget filmmakers and I'm betting at least some of them will continue to use it.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Jan 4, 2013 at 1:00:17 am

I dont mean major, anything theatrical...anything anyone has heard of or will actually see in a theater. What was the feature you worked on with FCPX, Id love to know.

Wrong Beach Multimedia

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:30:26 am

Hello,

I hope for

- a colaborative workflow:

the disk image workaround for network storage being standardized
and configurable from within FCP-X; giving the new FCP Disk Images a nice icon ;-)

those FCP Disk Images to have rudimentary access permission handling comparable
to SNS SANmp: Read/Write (others can read); Write Exclusive (others can't read); Read Only (for the others)

FCP Disk Images to be also the new standard procedure on local storage

all ProApps to access Events

- Compressor X:

with high-end scaling algorithms on GPU to compete with dedicated hardwares like Kona3

furthermore a native x264 implementation (but as far as there is no sophisticated scaling algorithm in
Compressor, x264 would make no sense to me...)

- FCP-X to get:

tracking for CC (by optical flow analysis; means without setting tracking points per hand);

Bezier and BSpline mattes; separate feathering masks;

temporal adaptive Noise Reduction analysis that could be set in import dialogue;

again better scaling algorithms with Super Resolution technology for up-rezing footage
(similar technology to image stabilization; details are gained from several images);

better keyframe handling with bezier splines

stereo 3D ;-)

I'm aware that some of these features are available via plugin - but the more plugins an
other apps I need to purchase, the less attractive FCP-X gets with it's long-term promise
of 'completeness'.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:02:32 pm

I predict there will still be people dissing FCPX even after version XXX, especially the ones that never really used it.
In the meantime FCPX Editors are going to continue having lots of fun.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:01:48 pm

I predict that in 2013 FCPX will get Magic Trackpad support. A habit from FCP7 that STILL lingers, my left hand just can't refrain from trying to pinch-to-zoom the timeline.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:38:29 pm

I predict that people in this forum will be still chasing their tails in 2014, arguing about the benefits/deficits of FCP(pick a number).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:45:03 pm

[David Eaks] "I predict that in 2013 FCPX will get Magic Trackpad support. A habit from FCP7 that STILL lingers, my left hand just can't refrain from trying to pinch-to-zoom the timeline.
"

That would be great, I've been using the Magic Trackpad for a while now and more gesture support would be very useful.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:57:05 pm

How about an auto-scrolling timeline so I can use my trackpad less?!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Richard Hall
on Jan 3, 2013 at 3:07:33 pm

yes please - especially for when doing a rough audio mixdown!

Your imagination is the limitation.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:45:32 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "How about an auto-scrolling timeline so I can use my trackpad less?!"

Oh yeah... that would be very helpful.

And as unpopular as this might be, the ability to have more than one timeline open at a time would have saved me many many hours on my current project...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:13:42 pm

I don't know about predictions, but I can do feature requests!

FCPX-specific:

Scrolling timeline.

Better keyframing.

Window layout tools.

A slightly flatter object model -- removing limitations around transitions or connected clips attaching to secondaries.

Some kind of XML interchange ability on the events side.

More metadata awareness in the timeline itself. It'd be really cool to have alternate views of the timeline (visually sorting the timeline to represent the edit trackishly based on metadata or roles).

Things I'd like to see other apps learn from FCPX:

Publishing/rigging, and/or common rendering pipeline across editorial/effects

Skimmer

To do markers

Timeline index

Industry-wide:

Open, cross-platform mezzanine codecs and containers.

Digital asset management for the rest of us (more than FCPX Events, less than Final Cut Server).

Portable metadata.

More emphasis on collaboration.

Deeper integration of editorial and effects.

More smart rendering (copying rendered frames from one container to another without decompression/recompression cycles).

Less dumb rendering (not everything can be real-time, so let's all have speculative renders like Nucleo Pro used to do in Ae, plus comprehensive intelligent caches like Ae CS6 or Avid DS).

Background everything (so my life need no longer be defined by progress bars).

More pen-oriented UIs.

More control surface support.

Continued adoption of GPGPU/co-processing technologies.

Clustering.

Crazy entirely new features:

Render/performance profiling. Figuring out where a system bottlenecks today requires understanding how the software and hardware actually work. Applications should report on their usage of system resources so that users can more easily identify bottlenecks (be they imposed by system resources or user choices like codec or effects) and understand how to upgrade their systems or change their workflows.

Meta-creative tools. I'd love to see time management or reporting tools built into our creative tools, like being able to measure how much time you're editing, trimming, auditioning, coloring, effecting, etc. This could take other interesting forms. It might be cool to have a heat map timeline, color-coding clips based on the number of interactions the user has made against them.

Happy New Year to all my friends here at the COW!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:09:20 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Portable metadata."

Curious what you mean by portable?

Side car files or embedded into the media?

Apple seems to be embracing embedded with the Quicktime extended metadata model. Take the standard "Reel" field in FCPX. That is populated if there's a com.apple.proapps.reel entry in a movie. Most of the metadata fields in FCPX can be populated similarly with embedded metadata. One can even add custom fields in FCPX, and with Digital Rebellions's QT Edit embed matching data.

This would allow external MAMs to send metadata to FCPX via xml or embed the data in the movie so merely importing brings in all the data.

I like that you mentioned AvidDS. That did so many things right!

John

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17:39 pm

[John Heagy] "Curious what you mean by portable? Side car files or embedded into the media?"

I mean it in the broadest sense possible: being able to move the metadata that you assign in one app along with the media freely to another.

Embedded or sidecar as an implementation detail is less important to me (though I could make an argument for either one).

[John Heagy] "Apple seems to be embracing embedded with the Quicktime extended metadata model. Take the standard "Reel" field in FCPX. That is populated if there's a com.apple.proapps.reel entry in a movie. Most of the metadata fields in FCPX can be populated similarly with embedded metadata. One can even add custom fields in FCPX, and with Digital Rebellions's QT Edit embed matching data. This would allow external MAMs to send metadata to FCPX via xml or embed the data in the movie so merely importing brings in all the data."

I don't just mean the "standard" metadata -- I mean all the logging and comment metadata, too.

[John Heagy] "I like that you mentioned AvidDS. That did so many things right!"

I thought about picking up DS when I started using PCs last year. After investigating for a while, I got the sense that DS was five years ahead of its time -- ten years ago. As an outsider, it actually strikes me as very sad, because there was a lot of really cool thought put into the original DS design.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]