FORUMS: list search recent posts

Holiday Cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Giberti
Holiday Cards
on Dec 31, 2012 at 7:18:59 pm

So I got to spend the holidays at the farm and took the time to test a new little camera that we picked up for backcountry, slow motion work. We also got a ton of snow in the mountains so I thought I'd share a couple of little holiday cards with my COW friends. Cow, horses, dogs...it's a theme thing.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: Holiday Cards
on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:41:47 pm

There are not too many things more fun than watching dogs play in the snow. Happy holidays!

Tim

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 1, 2013 at 11:16:14 am

Thanks for that Jim.

Just a couple of very non technical questions. The first is, what part of the USA is the farm located in? And are they really all your dogs?

Wonderful - must be a very peaceful place, apart from the dogs!

Happy New Year.

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Jan 1, 2013 at 11:21:54 am

Brilliant, fantastic location! You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Would like to see more films like this from other Creative Cows. Have a great 2013. Thanks Jim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 1, 2013 at 2:48:00 pm

Hi Jim,
How beautiful pictures and what a beautiful place. Living in such place and enjoying those scenes..you are a lucky man. I live in the tropics and those pictures make me miss the snow (although I'm not sure if my dogs would survive there).
I have seen already the clips in PV, but I had no idea they were yours.
About the camera, I'm sold.
I have't put my hands on the camera (got a GH2 with PV software), but i would like to know which kind of compression/file format had you sot with.
Happy New Year to everybody.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:42:28 pm

Hey Rafael,
I'm impressed enough that i'm going to set up a pair of them for action work and trekking (which we do a lot of for our projects)
I'm still out experimenting with settings but it's feeling pretty solid at 50MB Natural -4, -4, -1, -5

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:35:13 pm

Thanks Craig. We used to have the company in an historic building we renovated in the Valley, but a few years ago I bought the old farm that adjoined ours and turned the original settlers house into our new offices and studios. We built several miles of hiking, riding trails through the 200 acres and that's where I have my business meetings.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:53:57 pm

[Jim Giberti] "We built several miles of hiking, riding trails through the 200 acres and that's where I have my business meetings."

So that's a sort of walk 'n talk meeting . . . . I looked up Mt Olympus on google and I'm sure that one thing you are not short of is firewood.

And as to Vermont. Us Brits are still smarting from the outcome of the Battle of Bennington in 1777.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 1, 2013 at 5:30:28 pm

A lot of firewood. About 30 acres are pasture, hay fields and facilities and the rest is old forest with lots of streams and waterfalls.

About ten years ago I had a friend who builds ski trails for the industry come in and spend the summer building a trail network. Every time he found a spring in his work he'd stop and build a little trailside pond for the horses and dogs. There are several of them along the trails through the mountainside.

Sometimes I feel guilty that we're the only people that enjoy it, so we're actually in the process of turning "The Imagination House" across the road into a private retreat for groups of six. Personal chef, wine cellar, total seclusion...and for entertaining clients.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:28:05 pm

Hey Mark, the farm and studios are in the Green MTNs in Vermont. They are all ours. In fact the eighth pack member was laid up at home. It's incredibly peaceful. We're on about 200 acres near the top of Mt Olympus or 'Lympus as it's known here...hence we get a lot of snow this time of year.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:07:49 pm

Jim that footage looks great.

Can you see that camera having you sit a 5d on the shelf?

It's amazing the cameras that keep hitting the market and the prices of them.

I work with the 370 from time to time but the images of this little camera look cleaner to me, and the 370 cost almost 10 times the money

What are your thoughts on the VF? Is there a peaking option?

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:27:49 pm

Regarding the 5D, would say yes. We still like shooting them for the full sensor goodness and with really sharp lenses and a flat profile. But I took one of the GH3s out to test the 60p last week while we were shooting scenes for a project.

I shoot both cameras pretty much dead flat (except I don't roll of all the saturation). I had a chance to mount both side by side for a couple of shots and when I put them up side by side in the studio, the difference in resolution was remarkable. Considerably better DR and shadow detail as well.

So as much as I love the Canon look and my shelf of L glass and Zeiss primes, I'm now getting a new set of MFT glass - which I never thought I'd do. I actually owe it all to Canon. I was about to get a pair of C300s, then perhaps a pair of C100s, but the lack of 60p forced me to look elsewhere and suddenly this little unit appeared.

I mean, I really like the new "C" sensor look, but setting up a pair of these, with the 12-35mm 2.8 and the 35-100mm 2.8 each, cost about as much as a C100 Rigged on a small shoulder mount they're practically weightless, and ergonomically they're pretty brilliant with similar customization to a C100.
I've got a couple of new loupe VFs arriving tomorrow which should make them much more useable...much the same as you need to with the C100.

The only thing missing is XLRs and peaking and we're all expecting peaking in an early firmware upgrade.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 1, 2013 at 7:59:38 pm

Nice!!!

I don't know which I like best Jim. Dogs are my favorite people, and so watching your pack at play is delightful. However, the falling snow and music you chose for the horses really the captures the season and the day. So, it's a toss-up.

Happy New Year from sunny Southern California.

DRW

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 1, 2013 at 8:36:51 pm

You can have both David.

I was thinking of you and your post grad Burlington days when I was posting.

Oh, to keep it all on topic - it was edited in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:32:57 am

[tony west] "Can you see that camera having you sit a 5d on the shelf?"
Tony,
This test is a bit old, but you can see how the GH2 shines compared with a bunch of more expensive cameras:

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:09:33 am

Thanks for the link Rafael!

I watched both parts of it.

I have had my eye on the F3 for a while now. Was looking to make the move in the spring until this stupid hockey lockout came along : (

That GH3 really made me take notice though.

The F3 reminds me of what I love about my ex1r, just better.

It's a lot of money to put down though : /

If I ended up getting the F3, the GH3 would make a great second camera.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:35:34 am

Beautiful! My dog Mia was inspired. She's not into the cold though.

http://magicfeatherinc.com/2013/01/happy2013/

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:15:20 pm

With the right winter clothing she'd do just fine. She's got the jump.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]