FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will FCPX debacle hasten open-source editing proliferation?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jacek
Will FCPX debacle hasten open-source editing proliferation?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:40:53 pm

For those of us who've been editing for a while, this latest disappointment is nothing new. I'm sure many of us remember feeling a bit abandoned by Avid years ago, and now it feels that Apple is doing the same. Is it possible that this latest disappointment will lead to many of us more seriously considering open-surce options in the future?

It seems that we have been constantly putting ourselves into a vulnerable position when it comes to the whims of the corporations producing our software. We put our faith into companies because they have done right by us in the past. But we are continually reminded that corporate philosophies can change rapidly. In the case of FCPX, the result is an editing community that feels confused at best, and lost and abandoned at worst, and certainly concerned about the future of our investments, both financial and emotional.

If our biggest gripe is that Apple is not listening to its user base (or simply doesn't care because it is trying to build a new and larger user base) then perhaps open-source is the future of video editing. Despite its pitfalls, one thing that can be said about open-source software, is that the needs and wishes of the users are always a high priority.

Taken to an idealogical extreme, wouldn't it be great to have a sophisticated multi-platform editing application that evolves to the ever-changing needs of its users and their industry? I don't know how realistic this is, but I have to think that it is at least a possibility.

I'd love to hear the opinions of other editors on this topic, whether you're a 20 year veteran, a student, or a beginner. What does your crystal ball tell you?

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
Re: Will FCPX debacle hasten open-source editing proliferation?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:48:41 pm

If a bunch of the original FCP7 team (or anyone else with
serious credibility) were to branch out and start a new
open source 64 bit Editing system, I would gladly help fund
their development.

We should look into finding a way to offer a crowd-funded prize
for a team that can do this - ala XPrize...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:57:30 pm

Open source editing would be like making an open source airplane.

Might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to fly in one.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:22:01 pm

If apple is deserting pro end of the market would they sell/licence the FCP7 platform to a third party, like the FCP 7 development team to develop for the pro Market?

Errrrr.... Of course they wouldnt! LOL!

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:07:23 pm

Temporarily completely off-topic, Chris, but are you the same Chris Jacek formerly of the infamous Casa Del Macho?

Back on-topic: I will say that I am intrigued by the possibilities associated with the open-source move made by LightWorks. The concern I have on that front is one of upgrade speed. Is the "new" open-source LightWorks ready for prime time? I've never tried it, but I suspect it will run like a demon on my high-power gaming PC at home. Blender is a very impressive 3D modeling and animation tool (reminds me a lot of when I was noodling around in LightWave), but takes a while to get upgraded.

Can there be a reasonable business model for plug-ins and associated programs to work with something like LightWorks (i.e. say Boris Continuum for LightWorks), or do we as a community have to wait for a code angel who happens to also be a competent editor to come up with the right klud... I mean, open-source tool for a job? Would we ever see something like DVD Studio Pro (which I will definitely still need at my day job, no matter what Steve Jobs says, if perhaps not so much when doing my own thing) that would work with LightWorks? How 'bout Color? Motion / AE ? Does a broadcast-level facility owner like Walter Biscardi have any motivation whatsoever to even think about going that route when simply switching to Adobe's beverage vs. Apple's solves his problem in a week or less?

CAN something like LightWorks explode in popularity? Sure. WILL something like LightWorks tear off the starting line? Not until there's money to be made at it. Pure and simple. Whether directly through plugins and ads and such, or indirectly through the payment made by clients to production and post facilities.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:25:16 pm

So I can spend 20 years building a career, and it's my house from college that gives me cred on the Cow! Yes, what's up Brian?

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:56:43 pm

[Chris Jacek] "So I can spend 20 years building a career, and it's my house from college that gives me cred on the Cow!"

Sorry, Chris, was the only way to verify in three words or less :)

As to how I am and where I'm at, we should take that offline unless you're planning a jaunt to Hollywood for, say, a LAFCPUG meeting, but I can tell you that FCS 3 is a core part of my day job here in Anaheim ( sort of rhymes with "Frisbee") and I've noodled around in Vegas Pro. Got an email? I couldn't find one in your Cowfile.

Also, Luscious Johnny B can get hold of me on FB or by phone. Good to see you in the World, as it were.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:07:46 pm

Well, Lightworks is being open-sourced. EditShare may have a huge opportunity here, if they can move fast enough.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Francois Xavier
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:35:52 pm

Larry Jordan mentioned a 12 M$ cost for developing FCP X

I wonder where he got that figure ?

Documentary Director & Editor
Paris /France

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:44:36 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Well, Lightworks is being open-sourced. EditShare may have a huge opportunity here, if they can move fast enough."

Open source desktop software tends to turn out best when it's in a product category that has a built-in revenue model (browsers, via ad sales) or that someone with money has a significant strategic interest in because (various parties with OpenOffice, so cause trouble for Microsoft).

Open source desktop software that doesn't match these characteristics is often not very impressive (GIMP vs. Photoshop, Scribus vs. InDesign, etc.), because projects just can't get the resources necessary to really match commercial offerings.

Lightworks looks promising, but it's not clear to me yet that it avoids this problem. Perhaps if they can make money selling support for extra codecs, etc. as they seem to be planning. But that kind of thing is always tricky. Leave too much out of the base product, and nobody uses it. Leave too little out, and the vast majority of your users will never bother to pay you any money.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Joel Ray
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:22:34 pm

Need a little history lesson, why did editors feel betrayed by Avid? Because they switched to PC development?

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:31:01 pm

I think former Avid editors may have felt a little jilted when Avid not only added NT systems to their line, but also started neglecting the Apple side of things. I'm not sure everyone felt that way, but I certainly did.

Return to posts index

Dave Barnard
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:31:33 pm

The key point with Avid and the Mac was the introduction of the G3 machines which had half the number of PCI slots of the models they replaced.

Avid needed 4 3rd party cards plus their own compression board to run, unlike their biggest competitor Media 100 who designed their own I/O board.

Avid either needed to re-design their hardware or switch platforms - they chose the latter, leading to the rise of FCP as increasing computer power and DV cameras made dedicated hardware unnecessary.

FCP has been central to the rise of independent voices in cinema and television over the past few years, I can only hope that this is not lost.

Software that makes remote collaboration easier would be really useful for independents. Apple started going this way with iChat Theatre in FCP7, perhaps this is an opportunity for open source developers?

Dave Barnard
cinedigital
London UK

Return to posts index

Joel Ray
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:30:07 pm

That dovetails with what I heard years ago, thanks for clarifying. I guess people are more wedded to their hardware platform over software, and that would rule out lightworks as a viable replacement for many editors as I believe it is PC only.

Return to posts index

Dave Barnard
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:42:05 pm

Now Lightworks is Open Source it is free to run on any platform - all that is needed is a bit of programming ;)

Just had a look at the public beta site - it's developed quite a bit since LW shark badges were de rigeur at IBC back in the 90's

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

They say a Linux and OS X version is planned for late 2011. Very interesting...

Thelma Schoonmaker and some other very established feature editors like have never stopped using it.

Develop links to CeltX and it would be way ahead for all kinds of collaborative drama work.

In light of the FCP X debacle, OSS is really the only way the editing community Won't Get Fooled Again!
The new boss can never become the same as the old boss (as it were!)

Dave Barnard
http://cinedigital.co.uk
London, UK

Return to posts index

Joel Ray
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:37:24 am

Hadn't seen that Lightworks was being ported, things are going to get interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]