Re: Interesting Blog post from Walter Biscardi
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:31:06 pm

He must be kicking himself.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:06:50 am

[craig slattery] "He must be kicking himself."

Why do you say that, have you read the article?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 12, 2012 at 2:01:10 am

I stil have the BabelFish in my ear so I'll attempt the translation. Perhaps craig slattery is using the same one.

[walter biscardi] "I've had a lot of folks asking me if I'm considering re-introducing FCP based on the most recent updates from Apple."

"A lot of my potential upstart competitors are considering buying it and are feeling me out to see if they'll catch me off-guard."

[walter biscardi] "If you're using FCPX right now, you should be really happy with what Apple's doing. You're getting more features back into the tool and they should be making your day to day work more efficient."

"I'm certainly looking over my shoulder to see who's gaining on me."

[walter biscardi] "For me, I see no reason to switch back to FCP."

"The cost of these transitions will hurt financially. Too much training time and breaking in period."

[walter biscardi] "It's amusing to see Apple touting the "new features" such as Drop Shadow and the Dual display. In my mind, those are simply corrections and an admission from Apple that X was released before it was ready for prime time."

"It's funny how Apple is catching up so fast. They certainly are getting it up speed."

[walter biscardi] "In the interim, we've switched off to other NLE platforms"

"We're been getting work during the interim but can reconsider over time."

[walter biscardi] "There are certainly some good concepts in X but as a whole package, it falls short of my needs today."

"But we'll switch tomorrow if we have to. It's funny how Apple is catching up so fast."

[walter biscardi] "I never say never, and if a client were to come in tomorrow and demand we use X for a project, we'll use it, we have it in the shop."

"There's that 20 something hotshot just outside of Atlanta who just bought 5 Retinas and has 5 new iMacs on order. He hired 10 young filmmaker award winners and with just 2 FCPX downloads for $600 they may take 10% of my business spending only 1% of my capital. We've got FCPX sitting on 5 machines and 5 editors are getting up to speed to compete to get back our business."

Please understand my BabelFish has been known to be faulty and there's a possible wax buildup and ear hair growth which may impact the accuracy of the translation. Take this in good humor.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:07:56 am

[craig slattery] "He must be kicking himself."

Over what?

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:50:39 pm

[Gary Huff] "Over what?"

He had a very public divorce with FCP and jumped ship early. Now he finds himself chained to Premier, just when FCPX and the future of editing got very exciting.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:23:31 pm

[craig slattery] "
He had a very public divorce with FCP and jumped ship early. Now he finds himself chained to Premier, just when FCPX and the future of editing got very exciting."

Boy, are you reading odd things between the lines. Your "translation" of what he is saying is baffling. For one, not once did he state taht FCX and the future of editing was getting exciting. That's all you.

[Craig Seeman] "[walter biscardi] "I've had a lot of folks asking me if I'm considering re-introducing FCP based on the most recent updates from Apple."

"A lot of my potential upstart competitors are considering buying it and are feeling me out to see if they'll catch me off-guard.""

No...he's getting a lot of people on the Cow and twitter, fellow editors, asking if he's considering it. Because many people want to use what the big boys use. Or they want to see if he's reconsidering it. These aren't clients. Clients for the most part give a rat's patootey what you edit with. Unless you are in Hollywood, where if it isn't Avid they won't consider you.

[Craig Seeman] "
[walter biscardi] "If you're using FCPX right now, you should be really happy with what Apple's doing. You're getting more features back into the tool and they should be making your day to day work more efficient."

"I'm certainly looking over my shoulder to see who's gaining on me.""

HAHAHAHAHAHA! No, it's "If you like what FCX was, it's only getting better for you." Wow. That translation is just...wow.

[Craig Seeman] "
[walter biscardi] "There are certainly some good concepts in X but as a whole package, it falls short of my needs today."

"But we'll switch tomorrow if we have to. It's funny how Apple is catching up so fast.""

That's just laughable. I can't go on. It's too silly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:54:11 pm

I think it was probably meant to be laughable

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:03:06 pm

OH good. I was worried there...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:34:58 am

[craig slattery] "Now he finds himself chained to Premier, just when FCPX and the future of editing got very exciting."

Chained? How sad that you think that.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:09:03 pm

yep. somewhat carefully chained fanboy froth temporarily off the leash in that sentence.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Dec 12, 2012 at 2:39:20 am

Premiere: "we'll handle anything you throw at us natively."

I wish that were true in my workstation, but PPCS6 crashes when I try to work with effects. My machine isn't old, in fact it's got some guts and then some, but something's amiss. PP was fun while it lasted, but FCPX is more reliable on my rig.

Hence, I was heartfelt on buying the GH3 but I'll wait until NAB season and maybe get the BMCC that shoots ProRes (or raw), so no transcoding in FCPX. I don't know what's goin' on with PP on my workstation, but I don't want to dissect everything to figure out why a fussy Adobe app constantly bombs on me. just move on.....

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:06:04 am

[Lemur Hayop] "I wish that were true in my workstation, but PPCS6 crashes when I try to work with effects. My machine isn't old, in fact it's got some guts and then some, but something's amiss. PP was fun while it lasted, but FCPX is more reliable on my rig."

That's not natural. What is wrong with your machine?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 12, 2012 at 7:25:29 pm

Lemur - Perhaps you could post more specifics about what your problem is over at the Premiere COW forum and list your system specs. I certainly know that lots of people including myself are willing to help.

Dennis - Adobe

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:33:54 am

[Lemur Hayop] "I don't want to dissect everything to figure out why a fussy Adobe app constantly bombs on me. just move on....."

The app works fine for me. Fussy is certainly not how I would describe it. Its fine if you are not interested in its features, but to be so publicly dismissive of it without bothering to diagnose the issues, seems to me a bit sloppy. Don't use the software if your not interested in it, but don't dis it simply because you can't be bothered to make it work.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:29:01 am

[Chris Harlan] "Don't use the software if your not interested in it, but don't dis it simply because you can't be bothered to make it work."

I uh... oh, this topic is about Pr... never mind. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:44:05 am

[Charlie Austin] "[Chris Harlan] "Don't use the software if your not interested in it, but don't dis it simply because you can't be bothered to make it work."

"

Context is everything, Charlie. I would say the same thing to someone who is using one of the last several versions of X. It works for enough people that implying it is unstable or flakey without specifically saying what you mean, or bothering to find out why, seems to me a reflection of the user and not of the software.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:54:29 am

[Chris Harlan] "[Charlie Austin] "[Chris Harlan] "Don't use the software if your not interested in it, but don't dis it simply because you can't be bothered to make it work."

"

Context is everything, Charlie. I would say the same thing to someone who is using one of the last several versions of X. It works for enough people that implying it is unstable or flakey without specifically saying what you mean, or bothering to find out why, seems to me a reflection of the user and not of the software."

Of course. And I agree with you. I was just struck by the irony of the comment on it's own, not by the fact that it was you saying it. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]