FORUMS: list search recent posts

New MacPro to be made in the USA?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
New MacPro to be made in the USA?
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:23:07 pm

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/06/apple-will-invest-100m-to-bring-s...

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
Re: New MacPro to be made in the USA?
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:59:30 pm

I don't know how they are able to do it, but I think this is awesome.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:04:37 pm

They used to do all their manufacturing in the US. My father ran their facility outside Dallas.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:33:49 pm

[Tim Wilson] "They used to do all their manufacturing in the US. My father ran their facility outside Dallas.
"

That's one of those wonderful tidbits of synchronicity Tim.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:49:18 pm

It's complete supposition, but in a way it makes sense. If Apple plans to manufacture an entire line of Apple machines here, it might be the best test of the idea to start with a high margin, low volume product.

That's the MacPro to a "T".

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:08:52 pm

Marcus Moore:
"It's complete supposition, but in a way it makes sense. If Apple plans to manufacture an entire line of Apple machines here, it might be the best test of the idea to start with a high margin, low volume product.

That's the MacPro to a "T"."

Exactly my thinking when I read that. Because Tim Cook said manufactured, not assembled. Some iMacs are assembled but their volumes are likely too high to take on the risk of exclusive manufacturing of the iMac line in the USA. The Mac Pro or whatever it is has low enough volumes to make it physically possible and high enough margins to make it fiscally responsible. But please Tim, not too high!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:25:07 pm

Maybe not. Apple's shares dropped $35 billion yesterday on the news that China Telecom selected Nokia.

And this

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/top-business-stories/down...

Do I sense totem shrinkage?

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:18:18 pm

And they said a select Mac line...not MacPro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:24:36 pm

[Shane Ross] "And they said a select Mac line...not MacPro.
"

He said " A project where we do A Mac in the United States next year" not some Macs, there's every chance it could be the Mac Pro and it would certainly explain the delay

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:40:18 pm

Man, you have some wishful thinking.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:50:35 pm

[Shane Ross] "Man, you have some wishful thinking."

Not really, I live in the UK so I don't really care where they are made. It just seems to make sense that they would start with the Mac Pro.

Why don't you think it would?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:11:52 pm

You assume they are working on a new MacPro. I doubt they are. They mentioned a new "desktop" they are working on, but I don't think it will be a MacPro. They are moving away from that arena.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:19:11 pm

[Shane Ross] "You assume they are working on a new MacPro. I doubt they are. They mentioned a new "desktop" they are working on, but I don't think it will be a MacPro. They are moving away from that arena."

Sorry Shane I forgot about your sources! Although that Radeon support discovered in betas of OSX might mean they're wrong

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:43:41 pm

Not a desktop? Gonna be a humongous iPad then. Like 50 inches. You'll have double tap with your elbow and death stare support. Seriously, I'd love to see a killer MacPro made in the USA, but I'm with Shane.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:49:41 pm

Unquestionably, Tim Cook's email was cagy in NOT saying they were releasing a new MacPro, but something for that market.

Considering Apple is still using the MacBookPro naming distinction, I could see them very well sticking with the name MacPro, even if the product changes dramatically.

But regardless of what form it takes, I just don't see them releasing a product in this category without advanced processor, GPU or PCI support. If it doesn't contain those things, then it's not fulfilling any need that a spec'd out iMac currently isn't.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:21:19 pm

Wow. Can you say 'grasping at straws'? It is funny to me that all these Apple announcements over the past two years all could be interpreted to mean a new Mac Pro is coming, if you only look really really hard.

Reminds me of a Nostradamus prediction that foretells that next year will be the end of the world. You know those predictions that come out year after year after year.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 7, 2012 at 3:09:58 am

As to the existence of a "MacPro" replacement, there's no Kreminology going on here. Apple via Tim Cook has said a product for the MacPro market is coming in 2013 (See email quoted below)

Whether it at all lines up with the machine that Apple says it will build in the US is, as I said in my post, guesswork. But by process of elimination, what product could it be. He said "Mac" so it's not iPads or iPhones. He said a whole "line" would be manufactured here, so that means either laptops, MacMini, iMac, or MacPro. Only one of those product doesn't have an established production line in another country.

The only other new product line I could see would be a new TV related Mac, but I don't see whatever Apple's entry into TV as being anything but an iOS device.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:54:07 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But regardless of what form it takes, I just don't see them releasing a product in this category without advanced processor, GPU or PCI support. If it doesn't contain those things, then it's not fulfilling any need that a spec'd out iMac currently isn't."

Absolutely true, although we could be "grasping at straws"

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:18:01 pm

The entire email reads:

Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

We’ve been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

Tim

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 7, 2012 at 12:41:16 am

[Martin Curtis] "Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today."

Thanks for finding that quote, Martin. It seems a couple of people here didn't get the e-mail. I'll grasp at that straw. Coupled with the very long delay on an update and knowing Tim's not going to mention a Mac line will be Made in the USA, without a couple of years of planning behind the remark, some will risk concluding the Mac Pro line or its replacement will be built in the US.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

John Young
on Dec 27, 2012 at 8:19:24 pm

Just to put a period at the end of this thread.

Apple reportedly to move Mac mini production line to the US
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121226PD217.html

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]