FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Software: "Completely Redesigned"; Reaction Mixed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Apple Software: "Completely Redesigned"; Reaction Mixed
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:10:27 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't made a post on the forum yet, but it may offer some bemusement.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/
Everything you love about iTunes just got better. And easier.
https://www.macworld.com/article/2018296/review-itunes-11-adds-cool-feature...
"What bothers me most about iTunes 11 is the way it imposes new ways of organizing and viewing content without offering familiar alternatives. ... removing that option forces users who want to view their music that way — and who are used to it — to adopt a new way of thinking. Ultimately the iTunes interface is simply a visual metaphor for the way people organize their music. But when someone comes into your home and rearranges things, it’s hard to find them again."
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/itunes-11-review-simple-is-as-simple-d...
"Dramatically simplified" UI has its perks, but lost features and bugs confound users.

Most of the discussion after the reviews is about features that have been dropped and some new bugs.

The most vivid sense of deja-vu can be had by skipping directly to the comments after the arstechnica review. (Lots of unhappy users interspersed with "that feature was not useful anyway" and "the new way is better" responses.)

iTunes or Not. The Debate

Next Up: Logic X or Not. The Debate

Franz.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple Software: "Completely Redesigned"; Reaction Mixed
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:19:42 pm

Don't worry. People will learn to love it. This is the way it always is. Look at Windows 8. Microsoft is doing the same thing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:46:06 pm

I like itunes 11.

The focus on albums, and TLC on the iOS style GUI drawer album drop down with matching colours has me thinking about my music as albums again. Its nice.

the iOS drawer open works in this context for OSX.

there's a bunch of speculation over at the verge about that drawer effort and what it might mean for OSX eleven.

I'd be curious if Apple keep the desktop at all.

Any desktop will always just have a finder window, or ten, floating in it.

If they demarcate the system file access within an itunes style expanded iOS springboard space, they get to play in a richer media expose layer.

I reckon that itunes refit is a harbinger. there is a ton of fundamental OS interaction rethink in there.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 5, 2012 at 11:56:02 pm

Yup. I'd say osx 11 will probably have launchpad as the desktop, and a finder window for files. No more desktop saving, you will instead be able to add items to the "home" screen.

It really would be a bit more organized than the clutter of stuff on my desktop now! :)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:44:07 am

not launchpad - thats a proto-fig leaf mess.

anyway the finder is gone in 11 right? - because there's no desktop right? we're not calling file explorer windows in a desktop space by default anymore.

like 80% of users never got that. there's a brilliant piece of archive where jobs lays that out to walt on one of the initial OSX demos. he quotes the apple studies with finder issues -the lack of comprehension just spiking on the geography of the finder. its around jaguar or something as a demo.

whats coming isn't a launchpad - its reconfiguration of media file asset discovery and app launching on OSX.
there's been a chicken and egg problem between files and their creators for some time. the finder exposed within apps has had separate file creation powers to the finder at desktop. you cannot create any application file at desktop level.

bottom line - the finder and desktop stuff has been failing on a *i get this* societal level for nearly three decades now. there are real semantic problems.

the iOS springboard portal is currently understood by two year olds and octogenarians. you have to figure apple are in a position to expand it intellectually.

aaannnyway. I reckon the entire desktop and finder is as dead as dodo.

still - hopefully, and pretty certainly, we'll get to invoke backend full file access ala win 8 desktop view - as nerdy tooled adults.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:54:46 am

So if you try to keep the "desktop" clean, why not have it be launchpad, just like iOS? A lot more useful that a blank screen and a dock. I have mine organized into folders -one for CS6, one for X, and one for FCP 7 apps respectively. Also have iWork folder, Microsoft folder, etc. It would be really useful if things could exist in multiple folders, just like in FCP X. Like I could have a folder for all my FCP 7 apps, but I could also create a folder that contains all my editing apps.

I think it would make perfect sense. They tried to do this many years ago with the "launcher in system 7 or so. An optional simplified screen that was presented to you on startup.

They could certainly make Launchpad better, but I like it and use it alot when using my trackpad. Since there's a gesture to bring it up it's extremely useful. But when you have to navigate to the dock to launch it with a mouse, it's kinda stupid becuase you could probably just keep the needed app in the dock. If I could configure two finger double click on my mouse to bring it up instead of mission control, that'd be great. You could also certainly make it possible to add a hard drive to launchpad. Or a folder called drives. I can see some possibilities.

RAW drives and file systems aren't going away any time soon, so I expect the next step is to hide them by default. They try to do that now. By default your drives don't show on the desktop when you get a new mac or clean install an os already.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:57:04 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "The focus on albums, and TLC on the iOS style GUI drawer album drop down with matching colours has me thinking about my music as albums again. Its nice."

I find this really heartening as a musician and producer.

When it was first released, I read a blog comment in passing that said something like "who's ever going to wast to sort music by album", and I thought,"have we really devolved to this point."

Are all the new texting hamsters so deluded that they think they conjur up better ways to do everything in real time?

Every album project I've worked on either as a composer, musician or producer, is a concept, not some teenagers idea of a playlist. Enormous time goes into which songs go into an album and in what order they're heard. Certainly when they're produced as more than an assemblage of cuts.

In many ways it's like reading a book without regard to chapters. It's absolutely doable and some books lend themselves wonderfully to it (Little Big, Walden...) but many if not most musical artists consider the album as the order of the story.

I'm better now.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:30:26 am

yep.

I reckon apple deserve true kudos for an effort to shift perception and behaviour, honestly - I haven't felt as subtly lead to re-order my perception of a thing in a while. just me maybe, but I wandered albums for quite a little bit.

I reckon, in their own spartan fashion, apple threw quite a lot at this to try and get a cognitive response. how the albums perform spatially in colour match off the album cover with the drop down feels deeply nice and comfortable. It's just a nice halt.

when you kick the drop down they are doing a wee ton to re-architect the app to re-order itself as a proper pause instance album presentation.

you have to give it apple sometimes.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:25:03 pm

At first glance it looks totally new. But just go to the view menu and turn on the sidebar and column view options and I can barely tell the difference.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:51:45 pm

In a review I read, the reviewer said "just try it without the sidebar". I did and I actually like the new interface (if only they put the iPhone button in the "drop-down sidebar" instead of in the top right, what's it doing over there? Then you click it and it moves to completely take place of the drop-down sidebar, wtf?) ... But I also like and use FCPX, so what do I know? ; )

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:56:18 pm

Also you have to bear in mind that a certain Mr Ive is now in charge of interface, it will be very interesting to see how the next couple of years go for Apple software

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 5, 2012 at 10:10:39 pm

[Steve Connor] "Also you have to bear in mind that a certain Mr Ive is now in charge of interface, it will be very interesting to see how the next couple of years go for Apple software"

This may be of greater importance than some think. I know people point to Maps regarding Forstall's departure but imagine if the delay with iTunes 11 had to do with a split on where to take that interface.

The implications may go beyond the OS and impact various Apple apps, a whole bunch of which haven't had updates in a while. Who knows if Ive has some say in the look of FCPX. Not that I foresee them making another radical change there but imagine if the approach to some of the eye candy changes.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 5, 2012 at 11:08:04 pm

I pointed a friend to this thread who managed to summarize it, and the past 20 months, in one sentence:

"This just in, Apple changes shit and doesn't care what you think LOL"

That's her LOL, but when she sent it, I did in fact laugh out loud.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 5, 2012 at 11:49:38 pm

Well shit, if Tim can cuss, I guess we can as damn much as we like. Hell yes.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:11:01 am

[Craig Seeman] "Not that I foresee them making another radical change there but imagine if the approach to some of the eye candy changes."

It can only get better.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:48:10 am

will anyone at all say after me -

the visual desktop metaphor space, and the classical finder sitting within it, dies with 10.9.

Because I will bet you my very favourite chair it does.

It's an expensive chair.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:28:49 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "the visual desktop metaphor space, and the classical finder sitting within it, dies with 10.9."

The Finder? Maybe. But multiple open windows from different applications are also part of the desktop metaphor. I'm not ready to give that up. Are you?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:51:40 am

I like the look of iTunes 11. If this is Ives' work, then kudos to Ives. I look forward to seeing more of his interface changes.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:08:34 am

[Craig Shields] "I like the look of iTunes 11. If this is Ives' work, then kudos to Ives. I look forward to seeing more of his interface changes."

They've been working on this for at least a year. Ive only just stepped into the job. I doubt he had much, if anything to do with it...but who knows.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:27:50 am

[John Pale] "They've been working on this for at least a year. Ive only just stepped into the job. I doubt he had much, if anything to do with it...but who knows."

The friction has been ongoing for a long time. It's not uncommon that there were alternate versions "on campus" and push came to shove. "Who knows" is probably closer than not having much "to do with it."

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:03:03 am

I'm guessing the delay was because Mr. Ive wanted to remove all the new, but yet to be demoed animations of a needle dropping onto a record every time you picked a track. I think there's also some betas out there where the entire interface looked like a juke box. Another where every time you purchased a single song, a little plastic doohickey flew in and fit inside the larger hole of a 45, just to let you know you didn't have the full album.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:22:01 am

[Bret Williams] "where every time you purchased a single song,"

A quarter dropped into the slot and that's where the big fight broke out. It's $1.29 so someone wanted it to be a dollar coin or a bill and that wouldn't be accurate either.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 6, 2012 at 3:59:21 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Every album project I've worked on either as a composer, musician or producer, is a concept, not some teenagers idea of a playlist. Enormous time goes into which songs go into an album and in what order they're heard. Certainly when they're produced as more than an assemblage of cuts.

In many ways it's like reading a book without regard to chapters. It's absolutely doable and some books lend themselves wonderfully to it (Little Big, Walden...) but many if not most musical artists consider the album as the order of the story."

Was not Apple who started to sell music by songs ?
Are they not with this "back to the album concept" trying to sell something?
People do not read books and people don't buy full albums anymore.
If they could sell books by chapters, they would do it.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]