FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt or USB3 Raid?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Addis
Thunderbolt or USB3 Raid?
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:59:03 am

I've just ordered the fully blown 27 inch iMac and am looking at external storage options. Given my normal requirement to work with files from the EX1r or the occasional AVCHD files, is there any major data transfer speed advantage in using a 2/4 disk Thunderbolt RAID as opposed to an USB3 equivalent given that data transfer speed is essentialy determined by the internal SATA hard drives themselves; or am I wrong on this point? It seems to me that a USB3 array would be more cost effective - I realise that Thunderbolt devices may be daisey-chained, but this is not an issue as far as this arguement goes.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Thunderbolt or USB3 Raid?
on Dec 3, 2012 at 5:29:11 pm

If you get a RAID, then USB3 will be the bottleneck because it won't transfer as fast as the RAID array can dish it out.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Dec 3, 2012 at 5:57:06 pm

Thunderbolt is faster and chainable.
But USB3 will be cheaper.
If ProRes is your main format usb3 is fine.
But RAID or no RAID. Its not a backup.
You need 2 physical locations for your data and sync regurarly.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:24:52 pm

Thunderbolt 6TB RAID from Western Digital for $479
RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841457-REG/Western_Digital_WDBUPB0060...
8TB $799
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890519-REG/Western_Digital_wdbusk0080...
Disks are user replaceable.

Interesting idea for a small 2 disk RAID. I don't know how reliable though.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Dec 4, 2012 at 1:25:03 am

Hi Geoff,

I'm thinking of doing what you did, get the new iMac. Were there any specs you requested? Can you please let me know what you got under the hood?

Thanks,

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:08:08 am

Hi Ned.

I ordered the 27inch iMac fitted with the 3.4GHz I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 2GB Graphics card and 1 TB Fusion Drive.

The Fusion Drive should help in the overall speed of Boot Up and other programs such as Aperture, but I don't intend using the internal drive for video content, hence my question. I am also getting a Matrox TB interface so that I may use my MX02mini with Fast and also a Firewire interface so that I may connect to my RME Audio inteface.

I'm presently running FCPX on a late 2010 MacPro fitted the 3.2GHz 4 core CPU and that performs well too.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 4, 2012 at 4:32:09 am

You know, if you could set up 2 of the 6TB versions, each as a raid, then mirror them together, that would be redundant backup superior to a raid 5, for 2/3rds the cost. Not sure about the speed. What kind of speed you get on the WD TB 2 disk raid? I've for Pegasus rt4 setup raid 5 and get 400-500 Mb/sec.

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:14:34 am

Interesting idea!

I've seen the figure of 300 MB/s quoted for USB3 RAID 0 and the internal 2 drive RAID 0 in my MacPro gives me 212 MB/s, adequate for my use.

I have an idea that I have seen the figure of 200MB/s quoted for the WD, but cannot recall where.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:31:01 pm

Yes, an esata raid (your internal) will give around 200+. An external esata drive will give 100+. A Raid 5 thunderbolt will give you upwards of 500. Mainly due to the raid 5 nature. Not sure about an external esata raid 5. Might be similar.

The raid 5 is giving you backup of course, without any speed loss. Don't ask me how it does it, but the backup data is spread across 4 drives. So on mine you get 6 terabytes., instead of the full 8terabytes.

Return to posts index

Nathan Adam
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:54:50 am

"The raid 5 is giving you backup of course, without any speed loss. Don't ask me how it does it, but the backup data is spread across 4 drives. So on mine you get 6 terabytes., instead of the full 8terabytes."

Larry Jordan explained it better than I ever could.

"This is so cool… This works because all digital data is stored as either a 1 or a 0.
Imagine a 3D checkerboard — let’s make it 5 stories high. Look down on the top left square and count the number of checkers on that square for each of the top four layers.
If they total an odd number, put a checker on the same square on the bottom layer. If they total an even number, don’t put a checker on the same square on the bottom layer.
Now, remove the second layer and all it’s checkers, and put in an empty new checkerboard to take its place. By counting the number of checkers on the remaining top three layers and comparing the total to the indicator on the bottom layer, you can exactly rebuild all the missing checkers on the second layer. For example, if the total of the other three layers is even, and there’s a checker on the bottom layer, add a checker to the new layer. If the total of the other three layers is odd, and there’s a checker on the bottom layer, don’t add a checker to the new layer.
This is exactly how RAID redundancy works. Except each checkerboard represents a hard drive in the RAID. The bottom layer, which provides data redundancy, doesn’t need to know which drive failed, it only needs to compare the totals on all the different hard disks with the total stored on the redundancy disk in the RAID. This technique works whether you have three drives – the minimum – or twenty drives. The only difference is that more drives take longer to count and only one drive can fail at a time."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]