FORUMS: list search recent posts

All the rants about no Multicam?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Dortch
All the rants about no Multicam?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:38:07 pm

I too am disappointed in the lack of Multicam support in 1.0 but I'm confident it will return. It's not the end of the world, FCP7 is still functioning. What on earth did all of you do before FCP5... if memory serves that's the first implementation of Multicam in FCP. I cut hundreds of projects between versions 2.0 and 4.5 by syncing up the cameras the old fashioned way :)

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
Re: All the rants about no Multicam?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:00:13 pm

A lot of people used Media Composer to do multicam, besides when you cut 300+ programs a certain way over the years and have your workflow down pat you don't want to go backwards. I look forward to an updated Mutlitcam workflow with better performance but I pray that they don't mess with it too much. Get someone that works with Multicam to help design it not some engineer who has very little production background to dictate how it's done.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:07:30 pm

I think X has the foundations already in it for a superior multicam implementation - once they get around to adding it. We're sitting out, until the thing is fully baked.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:13:29 pm

Totally agree Mark. I just find it funny that so many people are lamenting it not being included in 1.0. I used FCP for a many years without it to cut many many projects, but I agree it's necessary to have for a lot of workflows. I remember some shops finally migrating to FCP from Avid when Multicam finally made it's debut.

It'll be back, probably done by some combo of multiple range selectors and the compound clip system.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:39:14 pm

Before fcp I used Premiere Pro, I'd load 3 or 4 camera streams on individual tracks and start moving forward building stairs up and down. It was slow, and laborious.

Then FCP got multiclip, I saw it, I tried, I bought a mac pro, later I went hd, as I now do 12-15 pro Res multiclips, and have a massive raid. It's brilliant, cutting at about 10mins finished edit video per hour, almost like a live director.

Do you know it's coming back? Officially? It's funny one of my petrolhead sites has a thread about fcp x should i get it? You know "I'm a hobbyist X great fun etc etc I don't know what the pros are on about? I dont have a clue about these terms, etc incl what's eh, multicam?"

You see the point?

So I've explained, you'll be Pleased to know. But your hobbyist probably doesn't own more than 2 cameras. Doesn't do multicam shoots, I own something like 20 if I include the go pros and contours as my hobby morphed into a motorsport event DVD biz, now heading for broadcast, but I could easily be a wedding videography or music or theatre performance multicam operation. I sync using visual or audio cues on screen/audio.

Now if fcp x is iMovie pro, and that's apple new target audience does the serious hobbyist need multicam ?. Possibly not. Will they feel the need to put it back in, for me, just me (us)? I think they will or rather they should.

So what makes you so sure? It's simPle all Apple have to do is officially tell us what their Plan is. The cats out of the bag on X, so put us in the picture, or put us out of our misery.

Yes!!! I'm still using FCP7. And intend to stick at 7, until these many issues are cleared up. Although i was looking at the competition to see if they have it. Not panicking, just thinking about the future. Id be a fool not to. Or is the attitude 'just hold it different way'. Why?

But why should I need to go back to editing pre multiclip? Or remember? Why? What hapPened to 'awesome' multiclip/multicam?

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:28:09 pm

I'm glad you're confident it's coming back, Jonathan. In my experience that is not how Apple
operates. In the meantime good luck doing multicam the old fashioned way. As I recall it's
just big fun to do 26 half-hour shows that way.

And, aren't you the least bit curious where it went in the first place. Also, when and if they
actually do these mythical fixes, I guarantee they will have their hand out for another $300
(or more.)

bigpine

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:39:49 pm

[TImothy Auld] "As I recall it's
just big fun to do 26 half-hour shows that way.

And, aren't you the least bit curious where it went in the first place."

Totally curious. Have you used the software? I'm not even sure how they would implement without the Viewer window. It's going to take some re-thinking of how it works.

Oh the days. I cut three seasons of a three-camera broadcast show in FCP 4.5 without Multicam, so about 45 episodes. I'd sure love to have it back though :)

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:29:47 pm

Don't you feel you have paid for this feature multiple times, just in software? I don't even really want to think about hardware purchases.

I am just very curious about why you seem to so easily accept that so much functionality has been
taken away without any explanation, or any indication, officially, as to what might be done about it.

bigpine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]