FORUMS: list search recent posts

Too busy working in X to follow The Debate much anymore...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Too busy working in X to follow The Debate much anymore...
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:02:04 pm

Decided about 4 months ago to go fulltime X for new projects. I had decided that 1) PPro was still underwhelming 2) Smoke would never have the market penetration 3) Avid... well, I can choose what I work on, and I don't want to work on Avid and 4) Legacy ain't no mo'.

I've been slammed this whole time. My typical mix of projects. Finished one today that was 40 minutes of greenscreen. Native keyer was pretty darn good (I usually turn to Primatte Pro). In those 4 months there have been very few crashes, and when it did, I never lost an edit. Sure, lots of things that annoy me (no Send to Motion, no mixer, etc, etc). There's also things I love (media organization, how fast it is on a MBP Retina, etc etc). But I never hit a brick wall, and the wonky timeline hasn't gotten in my way (much). And if at some point PPro fixes their transition issue and updates a few other things, perhaps I'll drop X and go PPro, if X doesn't continue improving as fast as it has over the past year.

I could go on about what I consider to be pros and cons, but I don't have the time. I need to get today's project out the door. With X.

Signed,
Freelancing is about never having to say the words "Day Off"

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Too busy working in X to follow The Debate much anymore...
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:18:31 pm

Cool! I'm sure if you ever have a moment, we'd all love to hear more about it. Me, I'm very irresponsibly procrastinating today. I will pay for it this weekend.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:34:26 pm

You slacker Chris ;) At least you recognize when your penance will come due.

I did want to mention one thing that recently surprised me, with more time on X... the ability to keep my hands off the mouse. I always tell anyone looking to become a faster editor that they need to move the mouse far away. Learn the shortcuts. Be the shortcuts. When I was learning X, for some reason I assumed it was going to be a more mouse-driven NLE. But as I get more hours in, I find I'm keyboarding at least as much as 7, if not more.

Lol... OK, another thing... it's cool to be reviewing a timeline, and adjust parameters while it keeps playing. Little tweak, let 'er roll....

that's it.... turn off Cow, nose <-> grindstone

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:42:59 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "You slacker Chris ;) At least you recognize when your penance will come due.

I did want to mention one thing that recently surprised me, with more time on X... the ability to keep my hands off the mouse. I always tell anyone looking to become a faster editor that they need to move the mouse far away. Learn the shortcuts. Be the shortcuts. When I was learning X, for some reason I assumed it was going to be a more mouse-driven NLE. But as I get more hours in, I find I'm keyboarding at least as much as 7, if not more. "

That's good to hear. As I've been moving back onto Avid, I'm forcing myself to be more keyboard-centric and am being rewarded for it. When I finally tackle X, its nice to know that's there, too.

[Bob Woodhead] "Lol... OK, another thing... it's cool to be reviewing a timeline, and adjust parameters while it keeps playing. Little tweak, let 'er roll...."

Premiere does that too, now. It IS kind of fun.

[Bob Woodhead] "that's it.... turn off Cow, nose <-> grindstone"

Yeah, I think that's some good advice.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:23:27 pm

[Chris Harlan] "[Bob Woodhead] "that's it.... turn off Cow, nose <-> grindstone"

Yeah, I think that's some good advice."

That's about the worst advice I've ever heard.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:03:50 am

Waiting to see which NLE implements the "Post to COW" keyboard command.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:19:20 am

[Craig Seeman] "Waiting to see which NLE implements the "Post to COW" keyboard command.
"

Really am ROTFL!

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:48:55 am

I'm really surprised at this finding. I have come to the exact opposite conclusion concerning the mouse, stop much so that put all shortcuts on the left hand side as well as the transport so that my right hand could stay on the mouse the whole time.

The reason being, there isn't any way to trim or work with a non primary clip from the keyboard and trimming audio requires a lot of mouse work. Also the lack of "modes" requires that more shortcuts have to be spread around more hot keys. I just accepted that it was a mouse driven software and programmed it accordingly. Are you using the stock settings?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:21:04 am

Some mouse heavy examples are for me, timeline trimming only gets a 2 up when using the mouse. There seems to be no way to kern between characters using the keyboard when working on a title. There is in Motion so it makes this all the more frustrating.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:38:55 pm

Welcome to the club. 7 months in and very happy with the results thus far.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:43:45 pm

[John Davidson] "Welcome to the club. 7 months in and very happy with the results thus far."

You and Charlie are my inspiration in that direction.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:03:10 pm

You don't need my inspiration Chris. The magic was inside you all along!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:18:29 am

But I do so want to be a real boy.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:45:46 am

I've been so swamped with work that uses Avid that I haven't been posting much here either. Back to back to back, and overlap.

But then again, I'm in Hollywood, and this is what we use. If not FCP Legacy. And on the two projects I got to choose what I used...I used FCP Legacy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:41:01 am

[Shane Ross] "I've been so swamped with work that uses Avid that I haven't been posting much here either. Back to back to back, and overlap."
Gotta pay for that new house anyway you can..... except with X of course.
I be interested to know how easy it would be for one your girls to pick up on X. Last year I showed my daughter a pro bono video that I do yearly, that I did on X, she took one look at the screen and said " you did this on iMovie? This year she cut the piece for me on X. My 23 year old son, who can out edit me sometimes (I've been an editor since '86), will not touch X, but insists that only 7 is professional....

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:18:50 am

I have my kids using Premiere Pro. They tried iMovie and just couldn't figure it out. I couldn't help them as I didn't know. I showed my middle kid (the "fashonista" if you watched my video where we surprised them, guessing you did) The bare basics of Premiere, and she was editing in 15 min. I didn't help a bit. OK, I did the fancy titles but that's it. So like your boy, she went with something else.

I'm not going to shell out $300 just for them to play around with FCX. I have better uses for that money.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]