FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another happy FCPX user

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Another happy FCPX user
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:49:41 pm

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/986-final-cut-pro-x-takes-los-angeles-...

I know it's just a low budget short but some may find it interesting

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Another happy FCPX user
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:15:26 pm

[Steve Connor] "I know it's just a low budget short but some may find it interesting"

Looks interesting. I stopped at my pet peeve though, which is binoculars. Whenever anyone does a binocular POV as two distinct round holes it drives me batty. Haven't they ever looked through them before?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:24:21 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Whenever anyone does a binocular POV as two distinct round holes it drives me batty. Haven't they ever looked through them before?"

Hahaha! So it's not just me that's bothered by that?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:30:09 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "[Chris Harlan] "Whenever anyone does a binocular POV as two distinct round holes it drives me batty. Haven't they ever looked through them before?"

Hahaha! So it's not just me that's bothered by that?
"

Drives me crazy!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:26:12 pm

I remember the first time I looked through binoculars because I was like 12-13. I remember thinking, "Hey, it's just like looking through a telescope. TV has LIED to me!!"

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:03:17 am

[Chris Harlan] "I stopped at my pet peeve though, which is binoculars."

Totally with you on this. What was worse was each side had its own set of crosshairs. ???

I watched the whole thing and didn't see a single gorilla. "we were shooting the car chase scenes gorilla style," Or do did he mean that they shot the car scenes like a large ape would have? I don't know...I'm a noob with this stuff.

Joking aside, that was pretty cool overall. Nice effects for low budget.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:02:33 am

[Brent Cook] "Joking aside, that was pretty cool overall. Nice effects for low budget."

I agree. Kudos to them for putting it together. With some practice they could easily go pro. It ain't quite there, but that's noticeable because what is there is good enough to make the discrepancies apparent. Clearly, they have a future.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:30:04 am

[Chris Harlan] "Looks interesting. I stopped at my pet peeve though, which is binoculars. Whenever anyone does a binocular POV as two distinct round holes it drives me batty. Haven't they ever looked through them before?
"

Well, while most everyone has likely looked through them - I was astonished many years agowhen I narrated a Bureau of Land Management video about the proper use of binoculars in field conditions.

Turns out there were quite a few "pro tips" I had no clue about that come into play when binoculars are used as a professional work tool in an area like game management.

And I suppose the double circle thing probably came from cartoons - where I might have been tempted to apply a single circle to a pirate character spyglass in a cartoon - and a double circle one for a character using binoculars just to help keep the kids oriented.

It's not REAL - but virtually everyone recognizes double circles as shorthand for "binocular POV" even tho it's clearly not consistent with reality.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:56:24 am

[Bill Davis] "It's not REAL - but virtually everyone recognizes double circles as shorthand for "binocular POV" even tho it's clearly not consistent with reality.
"

Of course its not real, Bill. But our job is to convince people it is.

Actually the many, many films that do binoculars successfully--to my taste--follow a formula that goes something like this: overlap a pair of circles, a quarter to a third, darken and lightly blur the outer circumferences, so that there is a slight ghost of the rims, and then in the overlap of the circle, add a bit of blur which is usually brought into focus and instant or two after cutting to the POV. Its quite effective. I've used it a number of times. I don't remember when I first figured that out, but I probably ripped it off from David Lean. Of course its gotten a lot easier to fake in the digital age.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:13:26 am

[Chris Harlan] "two distinct round holes it drives me batty. Haven't they ever looked through them before?
"

hahaha that is funny Chris

Return to posts index

tony west
on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:25:11 am

Thanks for the post Steve,

It's kind of how I see X going, young independents on small budgets making their films.

The price on high end cameras have dropped through the floor. Just run out and get a 4k camera and start shooting. Now everybody and their mama is out the making a film.

I may be alone, but I feel like this is the main market they were looking at. From a guy like that to Documentaries.

They are sitting ready for it to. Red raw, Sony F 55, DSLR like that guy used all play well with X

Not that they can't play with others.

Big houses may not be using it but it doesn't matter to people like that guy. His film is done and out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]