BorisFX Boris Continuum Complete 8 for FCPX Public Beta available

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:45:36 pm

http://www.borisfx.com/Apple/bccfxplug/

Nary a peep in any media but some of us have been waiting a looooong time for this to see daylight.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
Re: BorisFX Boris Continuum Complete 8 for FCPX Public Beta available
on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:00:45 pm

Maybe it's just me but I have never been a big Boris fan. They seem overpriced to me.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:09:46 pm

They do have a few unique features. Motion tracking is a good one.
Granted some of the other FX have variants found in other plugins.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:08:48 pm

[Craig Shields] "Maybe it's just me but I have never been a big Boris fan. They seem overpriced to me.
"

I am a big Boris Fan. I use Continumm, Red and AvidFX all the time. If you think they're overpriced, compare their price to Sapphire, an excellent but very expensive set of plugins. One thing I particularly like is that, using Red, I can bounce between MC, 7 and Pr with near impunity.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:15:30 pm

Yeah I know Sapphire is very pricey but to me they are worth it with the onscreen controls, the speed and beauty of their effects. To each his own as they say.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:45:13 pm

[Craig Shields] "Yeah I know Sapphire is very pricey but to me they are worth it with the onscreen controls, the speed and beauty of their effects. To each his own as they say.
"

For the record, I like Sapphire quite a bit. As to onscreen controls, I'm guessing you haven't used Boris in a while. They've been in the last couple of versions of Continuum and Red.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:13:40 pm

This is very interesting. I'm working on my first project in FCPX and I'd be interested to see if any of these plugins can help me out.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:05:01 pm

Premiere Pro and AE, as well! http://www.borisfx.com/Adobe/bccae/

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:08:19 pm

Boris BCC is an extraordinary plug in set -- in FCP 7 and now X and Premiere - it's been part of AVID for years but now only comes "free" with Symphony. Well worth the cost of the set - they are always upgrading and company founder Boris is one of the most accessible anywhere - have a question or issue - he'll answer personally.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:01:04 am

Thanks for posting this, Craig.

BCC for FCPX is a pretty big deal -- this will offer editors a lot of fine-grained control over their images without having to bounce back out to Motion all the time. Very cool.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:01:15 am

[Walter Soyka] "this will offer editors a lot of fine-grained control over their images without having to bounce back out to Motion all the time"

Maybe not unfortunately. I'm finding that all the Time effects are only available in Motion as well as all the Textures. With many other effects good portions of them are only available in Motion. For example Art Looks Charcoal and Pencil Sketch are only available in Motion.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:13:44 am

[Craig Seeman] "Maybe not unfortunately. I'm finding that all the Time effects are only available in Motion as well as all the Textures. With many other effects good portions of them are only available in Motion. For example Art Looks Charcoal and Pencil Sketch are only available in Motion."

Bummer!

My uneducated, wild, totally speculative guess is that FCPX doesn't allow effects arbitrary access to frames other the one currently being rendered, so temporal effects won't work. (Of course all the BCC Time effects need wide temporal access; less obviously, both BCC Charcoal and BCC Pencil Sketch use temporal smoothing.)

I'd be very curious to know if this is a technical limitation of the FCPX rendering pipeline, or if this was a "creative" decision, as allowing effects to muck with time could seem to break the magnetic timeline (i.e., a clip connection may appear to be lost because the effect moved the frame visually away from its slotted time). Can you wrap these in a Motion effect and publish them?

I'm not sure why the BCC Textures set wouldn't work. I thought they were all procedural generators, without any crazy temporal issues or custom UI requirements.

Have you noticed any other patterns in missing effects or parameters?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:16:59 pm

I've been sharing some of my thoughts with Boris folks and getting feedback from them and it would seem than much of what I see in Motion could very well be in FCPX but they haven't created the FCPX templates. I think their concern was that there has been some changes in FCPX 10.0.6 and not everyone has updated. I pointed out that unlike the FCP6,7 days where some might not pay for an NLE upgrade, I'd consider the FCPX updates mandatory for most given that they're free and include significant features and fixes. In other words BorisFX should currently consider FCPX 10.0.6 a minimum and I don't think they were thinking that way.

I'm wondering if that would mean the access to frames was improved in 10.0.6 and they're unsure about that as a starting point for the market.

I also think they may have been taking an "erector set" approach in that people would be building and combining effects and use rigging and publishing back to FCPX.

I think the beta stage they're at is looking for user input to see where they should go with this.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:00:06 am

[Craig Seeman] "I think the beta stage they're at is looking for user input to see where they should go with this."

Copy that. Thanks for the heads up -- I just found the forum and offered my opinion.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:47:33 am

Having worked at Boris FX in the early part of the century, I can tell you that Boris and the BCC team are wildmen. They love nothing more than taking in suggestions and turning them around fast. Head on over to the COW's Boris forum and get in on the fun.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:53:34 am

They certainly are responsive. I already have a couple of Time based templates in FCPX.

[Tim Wilson] "Having worked at Boris FX in the early part of the century,"

If only the plugins could render as fast as you could do those demos. I think I had to time remap you to 25% for my brain to process your presentations.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 27, 2012 at 7:51:38 am

[Craig Seeman] "I'm finding that all the Time effects are only available in Motion as well as all the Textures. With many other effects good portions of them are only available in Motion. For example Art Looks Charcoal and Pencil Sketch are only available in Motion.
"

Thanks for posting this and lab-ratting it. I'm curious how well the transitions work? And also, do you have the same level of granularity?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]