FORUMS: list search recent posts

With FCP since ver 1.2; Now have specific needs. Which NLE will do the job?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Notowitz
With FCP since ver 1.2; Now have specific needs. Which NLE will do the job?
on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:48:38 pm

Friends,
I need help –- a consultation. Who knows FCPX, Premiere, and Avid really well?

I've been using FCP since version 1.2… Yep. On FCP I've edited docs, CMXLs, corporate promos, educational videos, photo montages, weddings and bar mitzvahs… Output to files or DVD using Compressor & DVD Studio Pro. Sometimes Toast.

I've been using Apple's products since the Apple II+ !

Now we're at a major transition, trying to determine which system is best for our current needs, which are very specific. I'd love to find a sensible way to use FCPX, but not sure it can do what I need.

Anyone able to talk on the phone for a short while, listen as I describe the unique work we're doing, and then tell me which NLE would do it for us?

I'm not concerned about the money it will take to purchase the new systems -- I already own FCPX and I'll gladly buy one of the other editing systems -- it's the downtime needed to learn a new system and figure out all its idiosyncrasies.

All the best,
David

NCAVF, The National Center for Audio and Video Forensics
http://www.NCAVF.com

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: With FCP since ver 1.2; Now have specific needs. Which NLE will do the job?
on Nov 25, 2012 at 10:11:09 pm

You need to force implement the new systems to see if they fit your need. Practical testing IS required.
Purchase Premiere CS6 or upgrade to Production Bundle and experiment. I personally have not installed my old favorite Fcp7 on my new MBP and am forcing myself to work with CS6 and FCPX. Even rhough these new programs offer great features - after a year I still miss features from Fcp7...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:39:48 pm

a. you are unlikely to get anyone who truly knows all 3 to an equivalent level to make this comparison
b. even if they do they probably won't understand your specific needs
c. if they did, they should be charging you a decent amount for that bespoke consultation

the nature of the open forum is that you can set out what the needs are, see the arguments unfold from those willing to invest their knowledge to gain that of others, then you'll be in a position to do some informed testing or employ someone to do it for you.

good luck

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 26, 2012 at 1:09:48 am

Hey David!

I find what you do very interesting, and would have no problem spending a few minutes bulling about on the phone discussing the details. My gut reaction, since legal enhancement is your main goal, is that CS6 (Premiere) with Photoshop and AE might be your best choice. It not only offers the largest variety of tools, but also gives you a workflow that should make you better able to document the steps that you've taken to enhance evidence. Friend me, and I'll gladly have a further conversation with you. I'm intrigued by what you are doing.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 26, 2012 at 1:12:41 pm

Also take a look at: http://www.oceansystems.com/dtective/index.php
They make a lot of specific video analysis plug-ins for video. On the audio side, "Get" by Nexidia makes phonetic and indexing tools for different NLE's as well as for CATDV. See their solution overviews here: http://www.oceansystems.com/dtective/index.php

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:01:09 pm

Those are interesting plugins. I just took a cursory look, but all Avid, right? So, yeah, maybe Avid.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:26:56 am

The phonetic audio indexing from Nixedia has solutions for Media Composer, FCP, and CATDV - The video plug-ins were originally done as AVX, so Media Composer, but if I recall correctly some of them were available for Photoshop, so I would check into it a little deeper or contact them for additional info. They may have extended to other host NLE's over the years.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]