FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Apple Has Changed the Paradigm of Editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MIke Guidotti
How Apple Has Changed the Paradigm of Editing
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:06:47 pm

I baited you all, my post is really a question. A lot of people and of course Apple itself is saying it has changed the paradigm of editing. I am not sure I understand what they have done that is so revolutionary.

The software still follows the same basic drop clips in a timeline format of editing. Many features have been taken away but nothing completely new and unheard of has been added. Nothing as revolutionary as when non-linear moved from the Steenbeck to a computer, or the creation of DVDs.

The only game changing thing I see that they did is create a product without input from the end user, and dictated to the end user how they should create. This is more of a change in the software sales paradigm as opposed to the editing paradigm.

So I plead with all the Apple apologists to enlighten me to what I have missed. Magnetic timeline, background rendering, audition, 64-bit support and similar minor feature tweezes are not acceptable answers.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: How Apple Has Changed the Paradigm of Editing
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:24:29 pm

christ but I'll say this much - if i never hear the words 'magnetic timeline' for the rest of my life it will not be too soon.

wanky consumer branding balls of a phrase.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:10:59 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "I baited you all, my post is really a question. A lot of people and of course Apple itself is saying it has changed the paradigm of editing. I am not sure I understand what they have done that is so revolutionary.

The software still follows the same basic drop clips in a timeline format of editing. Many features have been taken away but nothing completely new and unheard of has been added.

See this post. While it sort of looks like it does at first glance, FCP X doesn't have conventional tracks (stacked linear containers for clips that run the full length of the sequence) besides the primary storyline. This is a pretty significant difference.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierro
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:20:31 pm

[Chris Kenny] " While it sort of looks like it does at first glance, FCP X doesn't have conventional tracks (stacked linear containers for clips that run the full length of the sequence) besides the primary storyline. This is a pretty significant difference."

To me it looks like it has tracks in the exact same way FCP7 and most other NLEs do. The only fundamental difference seems to be that you have much less control over them. The programs decides where to put things for you. If the paradigm shift is towards less control then I'd personally much rather stay with the "old" one...

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:58:10 pm

[Michael Pierro] "To me it looks like it has tracks in the exact same way FCP7 and most other NLEs do. The only fundamental difference seems to be that you have much less control over them. The programs decides where to put things for you. If the paradigm shift is towards less control then I'd personally much rather stay with the "old" one..."

Clips on a track have an absolute position relative to the sequence as a whole. Clips and storylines above the primary storyline in FCP X have a position only relative to the primary storyline clips to which they are connected. There is, as far as I've discovered, no way to just put a free-floating disconnected clip above the primary storyline. Even if there's a gap in the primary storyline below the start of a clip, it will just attach itself to the gap (since gaps are sort of slug clips in FCP X).

This is fundamentally different from standard-mulitrack editing.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:16:27 pm

Ah but they've changed the names of everything - which after all is the really important part.

I mean, doesn't it make you feel all warm inside and just like a real editor to know you're cutting in a "primary storyline" and all the rest of it? I just can't get enough of that stuff - finally I feel validated!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:53:48 pm

Talking of paradigm shifts, here's what I keep expecting to see in an FCP update: some spectacular update to storyboard editing in the browser.

As it stands: Icon view, arrange clips (left to right, top to bottom), drag into the timeline. It's been in FCP for ever but hasn't been developed at all.

I'm not the only kid with a 27" monitor. How about an infinitely zoomable space with filmstrips on it filling the whole screen as a way to start a rough cut? Think of the possibilities with gestures/trackpad/ipad control - draw a circle around clips to group them, pinch to zoom, command-circle to make a timeline.

I find keywords utterly useless as a meaningful organisational tool - I'm a visual person, that's why I work in video. Give me a y-axis and 2 whole dimensions, with a 1-dimensional timeline for finishing.

While we're at it, how about a spatial view for output as well? A nodal compressor with access to all FCP effects and motion templates.

Out.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierro
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:16:01 pm

Yes Please!

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:24:47 pm

Not to nit-pick, but Steenbeck is a linear editing environment. You cannot go to any frame instantly. You must run linearly through the roll to get to an edit point.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:38:26 pm

Non-linear doesn't mean random access. Film editorial is non-linear, because insertions or deletions ripple. Tape-to-tape editorial is linear, because insertions do not ripple, and there is no such thing as deletion.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:35:42 pm

I was going to reply exactly as you have but I figured since I used the flatbed in my initial post , I would just be repeating myself.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:07:33 pm

Not sure if you've played with the software yet, but the metadata features are totally revolutionary. The tagging and keyword system to organize, search, and access footage quickly and efficiently is very cool. You can even keyword tag a selection of footage, replacing the wonky sub-clip feature. It changes the entire way you import and access your data.

Also high on my list of wow factors is the overall integration. The "Send To" feature in FCP was always really awful. Motion and FCPX feel like companion programs for the first time ever, both in GUI and how quickly you send things between them. Not just opening projects as sequences, Motion can create custom FCP text, transitions, and effects. Save in Motion and it instantly appears in your Effects browser in FCPX ready to use. You can edit parameters directly in FCP or right click to bounce back to Motion.

Color correction matcher is really slick -- plugins that did the same thing used to be insanely expensive. Logic Audio plugins a big plus.

I'm still trying to figure out the intricacies of the Magnetic timeline, but it's very bizarre to throw out the "track" system that has been the paradigm since... well... forever with software NLEs. A lot of people are complaining that it's too simple, but the more I poke around I'm not sure I agree... a track based system is a lot easier to understand. Clip connections, Compound sequences, the new Gap system, Duplicating Storylines... it's all very different. If throwing "tracks" out the window isn't a paradigm shift I'm not sure what possibly could be. Also love the visual re-timing indicators.

The well documented missing pro features are a legitimately huge concern, but short of going all Minority Report on the interface, this is about as different of a NLE as I've seen.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:11:31 pm

[Jonathan Dortch] "Also high on my list of wow factors is the overall integration."

Let's not get carried away here. You can't yet actually send anything to Motion 5 other than the built in templates so for the time being at least the "send to" feature in FCP7 trumps anything FCPX can do on this front. Obviously (?) this will change pretty soon, but you know, just for the record.

Plus I think it's pushing it a bit to suggest the Color board gives you anything as good as say Colorista - certainly way below the capabilities of the free app we used to have called Color!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:44:16 pm

Sending clips from a sequence to Motion was always a huge pain in the ass. I never even really saw the point except for keying, which Motion was never very good at anyway. I've done it a few times for using the stabilizer, but FCPX has that feature now.

Much more of a fan of using Motion to create elements for use in FCP. Text, titles, transitions, effects, filters. I think they nailed it this time around. The transition is seamless, and saving from Motion doesn't send a stupid .motn file to be rendered in my FCP sequence, it sends a native effect into the effect browser that can be adjusted in FCPX. Very cool.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Chris Knight
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:16:29 pm

I had a long conversation with some editing colleagues last night (all of us use Final Cut and Premiere Pro, one of uses Avid MC, so there's no bias here). The conclusion I came away with was this:

Apple clearly sees online as the future of video broadcasting, and doesn't see room for trained professionals to provide content. And for that purpose, X probably works just fine. Apple's core customer base (consumers who love iOS) are generally accepting of the iCNN/YouTube level of production, and don't care about the why and the how of colour balancing, audio mixing, and (most importantly) good editing.

From what I've read about X (I haven't used it yet), it appears to be fast and efficient at basic editing tasks. This mindset makes sense, when consumers just want to get a video they just shot on their iPhone "on air" as quickly as possible. And X will make the consumer feel like they're using professional tools (Apple is, much like Coca-Cola, great at selling a lifestyle).

Because the X workflow lacks the ability to collaborate with multiple users and software applications, it appears counter-productive to me (and the work I produce). I'm glad I'm familiar with many editing tools, so I can pick and choose what works best for the task at hand. X might end up in the toolbag someday, but right now, it's just a consumer "app."

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:39:29 pm

You should use the program first before jumping to any conclusion. It feels stripped down, especially compared to how robust FCP5-7 became, but I think it's silly to try and interpret Apple's entire market strategy based on FCPX 1.0. There are some insanely powerful elements to the software. I like that Apple is thinking outside the paradigm of how we expect an NLE to be organized, and pushing native a Prores timeline is a good thing IMO.

You can actually share projects pretty easily in my limited testing so far. "Events" keep all of your media organized on your source drive. "Projects" save to a different folder. Transfer the "Event" and the "Project" folder and all of your stuff is there. I'll be testing transferring a "Project" folder to a different user while referencing an "Event" on network storage later, but I see no reason why that won't work. There is an entire subchapter in the manual about duplicating and sharing Events.

It's impossible to wrap your head around a lot of the new stuff in FCPX without taking it for a test drive. Just consider it a beta and keep FCP7 rolling.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:35:32 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "Apple itself is saying it has changed the paradigm of editing. I am not sure I understand what they have done that is so revolutionary."

The paradigm shift Apple have created is getting suckers to pay $300 for the privilege of beta testing the trial balloon they're calling FCP X.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]