FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML dead

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Dills
XML dead
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:28:00 am

If Philip Hodgetts is to be believed, "XML in and out is no longer supported. A new way of accessing FCP X is coming. Direct from Apple in my private briefing." With his track record probably true.

FWIW I had my first crash last night (my time machine firing up caused it I think) and not only did I not lose one edit, I had just switched skimming off and it remembered that. Impressive.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
Re: XML dead
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:08:31 pm

Autosave did not begin with FCP X...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:56:37 pm

oh great, I'm sure Phil's right. what could it be? Will it have magnetic in the title? Will we see it in this calender year?

now that we no longer have, nor will we ever have again designated tracks, OMF, XML, and EDL are permanently dead. Apple saying they're going to figure something out doesn't alter that fact. We can't even designate A1 and A2 for vo, A3 and A4 for music etc. That isn't coming back. Can you see them dropping their stupid storyline bollocks? remember randy breathlessly saying "you don't need to designate tracks!" Well, I'm sorry randy, you evangelical moron, I really, really do.

Apple can say they're fixing it, but they're lying - there's nothing to fix. There's no EDL, no tracks, this is a glistening 64bit iMovie with iCNN export abilities. This system is never going to talk to another system again as we would require it to. Its not intended to - Apple took away all the architecture necessary for XML, EDL, and OMF to work - can everyone please internalise that fact? They ripped that functionality out in order to make randy's bollocks storytime storyline with padded clips that jump around each other like scared cats.

They made a prosumer app - FCP is dead and gone. they made the app they wanted to make - FCP is not coming back, XML is not coming back, OMF is not coming back, EDLs are not coming back.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:03:33 pm

Completely agree. The email from Randy re: legacy projects from another thread sealed it for me. They've built a "new and better way," the classic Apple walled garden. Right now they can't or don't want to make FCP X talk to traditional timeline based apps, their own or others. Maybe they will in the future, but it doesn't seem like it's just a few months aways.

I realize that AV Foundation is revolutionary and future-looking, but if it won't easily talk to other software, then they built the wrong foundation. Apps that can't talk to other people's hardware and software have never fared well in the professional market (not just the post-business), and Apple has to understand that.

So Apple has driven the the FCP bus off a cliff, or as Anthony Gianni said, "The Avid killer committed suicide."

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:20:46 pm

yeah, it's good times. I just still can't quite believe they actually did this.

A

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]