FORUMS: list search recent posts

My biggest problem with FCP X...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
My biggest problem with FCP X...
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:13:41 am

... is that it's way too easy to do crazy compositing and filtering of video. :-) I cut a few spots last week on which I am completely f-ed if any of them go to finish. Just saying... Also, Coremelt SliceX really is awesome. This is also a problem, since I cut this stuff offline and all the masking I've done will need to be recreated by somebody else. I think there's like 80 points or more in one. Oh well... ;-) Happy Thanksgiving!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
Re: My biggest problem with FCP X...
on Nov 22, 2012 at 11:19:56 am

My biggest problem with FCPX is that it always, and I mean *always* crashes on me. I capture long runs (2 hours) of video, but it seems singularly unable to deal with clips 20+ minutes long. 10 minute clips it seems to handle.

Some of the crashes are due to just blocking on some semaphore that's never coming back (system is basically idle, but FCPX has the spinning beach ball). Some of the crashes are due to the fact that FCPX has made some fatally stupid decision to render something that (a) I didn't ask for, and (b) won't help me at all. Yesterday I clicked on a cancel dialog box, and it spent two hours saying it was preparing to cancel the operation. It never happened, so I had to terminate it.

I figured that was my signal to look at Adobe Premiere, and thus far Adobe hasn't crashed (though it has other maddening quirks). But I honestly cannot understand how FCPX became a tool of choice for anybody doing medium to long-format video work.

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC
http://manifoldrecording.com/

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 22, 2012 at 12:23:33 pm

[Michael Tiemann] "My biggest problem with FCPX is that it always, and I mean *always* crashes on me. I capture long runs (2 hours) of video, but it seems singularly unable to deal with clips 20+ minutes long. 10 minute clips it seems to handle.

Some of the crashes are due to just blocking on some semaphore that's never coming back (system is basically idle, but FCPX has the spinning beach ball). Some of the crashes are due to the fact that FCPX has made some fatally stupid decision to render something that (a) I didn't ask for, and (b) won't help me at all. Yesterday I clicked on a cancel dialog box, and it spent two hours saying it was preparing to cancel the operation. It never happened, so I had to terminate it.

I figured that was my signal to look at Adobe Premiere, and thus far Adobe hasn't crashed (though it has other maddening quirks). But I honestly cannot understand how FCPX became a tool of choice for anybody doing medium to long-format video work."

You clearly had a problem in the system somewhere, this is not a usual behaviour of FCPX, I do a lot of medium to longform work with none of these issues

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
on Nov 24, 2012 at 6:50:53 pm

Well I've just spend the past four days getting used to Adobe Premier. It has its problems (its multi-camera design is very non-intuitive, and the tutorials from around the internet basically paper over the fact that once you commit a source to multicam (from the project bin) you cannot apply effects, which is just the height of stupidity), but never once did it crash.

I'd love to get some advice on diagnosing what's wrong with FCPX. But for all that I've sent probably 20 crash reports to Apple, never once did any engineer respond with any offer of assistance (or consolation).

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC
http://manifoldrecording.com/

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 24, 2012 at 7:37:30 pm

I can't diagnose whats going on with your system, but for me, X has been solid as a rock. Slamming on it 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week. Not that it helps at all, but I'll second the opinion that maybe you've got a system issue, bad installation... something like that. Check out this page for some possible remedies...

http://fcpx.tv/troubleshooting.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Nov 25, 2012 at 3:16:14 am

Same here, X has been very stable when 7 crashes all the time when I multi cam. I moved a Multicam from 7 to X and it was no problem in X.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.66GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 22, 2012 at 1:12:59 pm

The non-ability to work with custom project sizes, and not being able to share collaboratively on non-SAN shared storage makes it no go for me...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 22, 2012 at 2:13:49 pm

I completely agree. For whatever reason, X gets a really bad rap when it comes to layering and compositing, I find its not that awful. Are there some weird things? Sure, but when you get to work, it's rather powerful and the quality is fantastic. Most of the time I don't even mind the video animation popup. It could look a bit different, and not be so bulbous, but the results and function are actually pretty good. I really like the ability to reveal controls when you need them and hide them when you don't. People say on screen controls are stupid, and maybe some current implementations aren't quite optimized, but as a concept, having these controls when you need them, and getting rid of them when you don't is an efficient use of space.

I received an fcpx project from an agency. They started a really basic "cut" but really amounts to more like some shot selections.

I was able to add all of their organization to a folder named "old" and start my own organizational methods. When we talked about certain aspects of the story, they referred to their organization. I was allowed to keep their organization and use my own. This would not have been possible in any other NLE that I am aware of.

I had to mock up some rudimentary motion graphics from a storyboard until the real artwork showed up and I would take it to Ae. Even that was enjoyable. The text tool in fcpx shatters anything in Legend.

There is certainly some interface polish and capability that needs to be added along with more media management /XML possibilities but 10.0.6 in terms of actual editability, is very usable.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 22, 2012 at 10:28:56 pm

This is the feedback I sent to Apple a couple of days ago:

"Dear FCP-team,

thanks for the 10.0.6 update. It brought many new features, and the R3D RAW support was long overdue (but the implementation is really good - for the most part). Kudos!

I still have a big wishlist, that I think would help make the program a lot better.
I wanted to share some things:

- If you click Expand All in the menu for expanding video and audio, that it expands every clip in the timeline, INCLUDING the ones you put in the timeline AFTER you pushed the Expand All option. It reduces the amound of clicking. If you want to edit with an expanded view of audio seperately, you click expand all, and edit the way you want. If you put new clips in the timeline, you don't have to press again and again in the menu.

- If you have a synchronized clip with R3D material, making sure the spatial conform works like it does with a normal rough R3D clip.

- More RAW controls from REDCINE in the R3D Hud, including (big one) the eyedropper tool to very quickly and automatically set white balance.

- A timecode HUD with much more timecode options. Seeing in one view the timecodes of everything in the timeline, optional of course. Being able to COPY and PASTE a timecode from a clip instead of manually having to feed it always, like you could in FCP 7. You could just copy the timecode from the viewer of canvas.

- More options from Color, including color wheels. Tracker. Custom shapes, that can be keyframed, including in their shape points. Sharpening. Maybe have a seperate Color Room? (same with Audio?)

- If you click to have Proxy Media Playback, put a warning side if media hasn't been converted to Proxy yet, but don't have it be offline completely. It sometimes doesn't make sense to transcode EVERYTHING in your timeline to Proxy Media. Only being able to transcode a portion of it, and just see a small subtle warning sign in the rest without hindering your ability to work with it, would be much better!

- Fade Handles on seperate Audio Components.

- Fade Handles on video?

- Prores LT as a codec option to optimize!

- In the preferences, have playback for Optimized Media or Original Media be 2 seperate options? Or just some more flexibility.

- Better support for working with networked storage! I'm not talking about users working on the same project on the same timeline (although the patents I saw online about guardians etc. were interesting) but just having the program work easily with networked storage over ethernet!

- If you open the HUD of a Smart Collection, it seems I cannot make the HUD bigger or smaller. Sometimes if I have long names of Keyword Collections of which the first 3 words are the same, I cannot see which to click on or off if I put a Keyword one of the parameters of a Smart Collections. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

- At the retiming menu, if you click it, have a custom option to manually give in a percentage.

- Custom resolutions when making a project! With a way of making it a preset!

- 'Break Apart Compound Clip' back in the contextual right-mouse click menu.

- This is more of a general Mac OSX complaint since Lion, but the way the system works with programs in full screen is really really one of the most emberassing things ever if you have 2 monitors... FCP X is no different. Suddenly seeing the second screen dissapear is really... ugh.

- At Audio Enchancements, at the background Noise Removal option, have a small button to set the noise print, as you could with Soundtrack Pro. I don't know if the technology now in FCP X is the same as in Soundtrack Pro, but I'm getting much worse results (frankly, I never get good ones, and thus never use it) when using the remove background noise option in FCP X. Maybe having the option to manually set the noise print, will get better results back?

- An audio mixer! Maybe have some seperate Audio Mixing 'room', like you could have with Color Correction. FCP X seems to have great technologies under the hood (some of Color, some of Logic, some of Soundtrack Pro, some of Cinema Tools), but just have the tools deeper would really make it a super-NLE. Not needing to round-trip, but still being able to do so much in an NLE that can seem so simple, but yet can get very deep, is VERY appealing, and would get many people to switch to Macs and FCP X. Look at Color... Yes, you could say Resolve is better, but not needing to round trip, and being able to do very good corrections in the same program where you do the finishing, compositing, editing, ... is really tempting. If you don't want to use it, you don't need to. But I miss Color, and in the same way I think much more of Soundtrack Pro needs to return to FCP X.

- Being able in the Copy Paste Dialogue box, to paste seperate color corrections, and have them being applied ABOVE whatever you have done to that clip earlier. And not only replace it. Maybe have a small button in the dialogue box where you can choose to ADD your attributes to the clip you are pasting it too.

- Being able to give Color Corrections names, instead of just the automated numbers.

- Being able in a way to very easily put a video-only dissolve on a clip, without messing too much with detaching audio, secondary timelines, ... Just have a cross dissolve video-only transition in the transition browser or something.

- Have a quick way of putting audio back to a clip after detaching it. (and if they are out of sync, maybe have a dialogue box or something to choose if you want to keep it out of sync, or put it back to it's default?)

- Have out of sync-markers when detaching audio...

- Have a smart Render function, as FCP 7 had where it simply copies original media if you are doing simple cut-cut operations.

- Have the Background Render option be REALLY background. So for instance, when you are working, it keeps rendering, but like with one core or something. So it's low taxing on the system, but you can really keep working. Now it stops if you do something in the program, and you really let it do a lot, it kind of makes your computer super super slow.

Thank you for (hopefully) considering adding these abilities to the program.

Kind regards,"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 23, 2012 at 4:39:51 am

[Charlie Austin] "... is that it's way too easy to do crazy compositing and filtering of video"
[Jeremy Garchow] "when you get to work, it's rather powerful "

To me, this is the big advantage of FCPX. Tracks, I feel, have always been at cross purposes between compositing and organizing. Now Roles, which certainly does need more work, is and will fill that need.

Now I can composite without the track Tetris fighting an organizational purpose. The compositing I do at 10 minutes doesn't have to be mindful of the composite I do at 20 minutes. They are independent as they should be. When a given area is done, even if just for the time being, it can be Compounded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]