Tag line for Apple's latest MacBook Pro commercial
on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:52:32 pm

"For the pro in all of us..."

Tim

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Tag line for Apple's latest MacBook Pro commercial
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:20:55 pm

Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed this!

Also, good thing everyone has a bit of "pro" in them...now I can retire! :)

Disappointing...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:18:49 pm

[Jason Brown] "Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed this!

Also, good thing everyone has a bit of "pro" in them...now I can retire! :)

Disappointing..."

I know.

It's SO scary.

Now video production is gonna get just like all the more crappy arts like music and painting where virtually everyone can get access to excellent production tools very cheaply. And LOOK what happened to THEM!

All the "common folk" who are now at the top of those industries and how it's impossible for people with truly excellent skills to become rich and famous in those "debased" disciplines...

Oh dear me - how can our immensely difficult to master "art" survive the influx of the great unwashed...

Oh, wait...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:47:33 pm

I was saying that it's disappointing that they don't focus on the pro market as a separate market.

I love how easy the tools are to use and I can do things that I really have no business doing (color correction and compression) because of the templates.

I just think it's a miss to throw everyone together (pro-amateur and everything in between).

There will be a distinction of quality, but there is extra noise and it's unnecessary.

I can't tell you how many times I get jobs that have been started and dropped by someone who thought they could do it. Unnecessary money/time/resources being spent because people have tools they shouldn't have access to.

I guess it's no different than me being able to buy professional level hardware tools at my local hardware store and then build an addition on my home. It just waters down the value that we bring as professionals.

It's nothing deeper than disappointing. :)

-Jason

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:17:29 pm

It happens every time a technology gets cheaper, and everyone thinks they can jump in and do it, just because they can afford it. The beauty of it all is that there will be some, who, by being able to afford the new technology (be it hardware, software, audio equipment, you name it...) actually do have the talent, and will be the next bright lights of the upcoming generation.

I'm as guilty as anyone else of being the doomsayer...everyone became a publication designer when desktop publishing got affordable with Pagemaker and the first Mac printers with 36 typefaces. Everyone became a musician when synthesizers got affordable. Everyone became an editor when FCP came out. But it's always a case of "talent not included". It should be a warning on every software box (except that software hardly comes in boxes anymore).

Here's a bit of doggeral verse which puts it into perspective:

Going To The Dogs

My granddad, viewing earth’s worn cogs,
Said things were going to the dogs;
His granddad in his house of logs,
His granddad in the Flemish bogs,
His granddad in his old skin togs,
There’s one thing that i have to state -
The dogs have had a good long wait.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

joe mordecai
on Nov 20, 2012 at 8:02:39 am

I was a bit alarmed by that tagline when I saw the commercial as well, and while I still think it's kind of lame, I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about.

First, even back to the legacy 13-inch MBPs... capable machines, of course. But, in the times I've needed a MBP for work or spec'd one out, I never considered the 13-inch models at all. The 15's had larger capacities for storage, memory, processors, and graphics, and in my mind were the only "real pro" notebooks (except the dearly departed 17-inch). The 13's always seemed Pro in name only... or to simplify the product line.

Now with the 13-inch Retina Display models... even better machines, but much like their predecessors, limited in terms of storage, memory, processors, and graphics (though the graphics are great, of course). Notice in the commercial, all the apps used for the demo are mostly iLife things and Aperture. If you go to an Apple Store to demo one... those are the only apps on it, too. Meanwhile, the commercials for the 15-inch Retina Display models demo the more advanced FCPX, Aperture, Photoshop, etc etc. Go into an Apple Store - FCPX, Logic, and other Pro apps are installed on it.

So while I think "the pro in all of us" line is blurring things a bit, Apple's also being very clear in both advertisements and floor demo what they're recommending each product be used for.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:19:58 pm

Another way of saying 'the pro in all of us' is 'prosumer'. But I think that would be like red flagging a bull in these here pastures :)

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]