FORUMS: list search recent posts

School is upgrading video editing software and Mac operating system need opinions.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Bailey
School is upgrading video editing software and Mac operating system need opinions.
on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:31:46 pm

As said in the title the school is upgrading its video editing software and i am curious to hear peoples opinions if it is better to keep using premier pro CS5.5 or upgrade from final cut pro 6 to FCPX.

Any responses are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
Re: School is upgrading video editing software and Mac operating system need opinions.
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:45:03 am

Small private school, video class size 4 to 10 students any given semester. Have taught using FCP 6 edu version (non upgradable) for several years. Advantage of that interface? I can point to Avid, Premiere and other NLEs with same Timeline and Viewer interface. Occasionally kids will do work at home on Premiere Elements, Vegas, etc, and it all makes sense.

For kids who have toyed with iMovie, of course, they have to learn all over with FCP.

This year, school got donation of a dozen more iMacs, with FCPX installed. I have been teaching it to some kids, and it has it's simplicity/idiot proofing advantages. But IMHO these are a wash after considering the oddities, including at a basic level the stupid idea of referring to clips you import as "Events." I found it barely tolerable in iPhoto, the presumption that anytime you turn on your camera, everything that happens that day is one "event." In video edit it is just an absurd notion.

Some of the more serious kids, juniors and seniors, have already heard from their friends that NYU undergrad film school is switching to Avid, as FCP7 is no longer supported. So they come in thinking FCPX is indeed iMovie Pro. Even though it is a silly distinction at their unschooled level.

But I am giving FCPX the benefit of the doubt, and showing it to newbies who are welcome to learn it, if it appeals. And learning it myself, for all the GOOD things like meta-data, multi-cam, better clarity in using Motion and so on.

But then, I have the luxury of having CS6 installed on the same machines, and so can now go to FCPX, FCP6 or PPro 6 at my discretion.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: School is upgrading video editing software and Mac operating system need opinions.
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:58:25 am

Brett it might help if you tell us what the students do, the cameras they have at their disposal and how the end result is to be presented. Are they being taught editing at a tertiary level or is this for an AV Dept with general students who happen to do video projects as part of art.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Nov 16, 2012 at 1:13:07 am

You could also upgrade to premiere pro cs6. It's a much better experience than cs5.5, in my opinion. I've been using FCP for 10 years and just made the switch to premiere pro cs6 and have been very happy. It also plays nice with the other adobe products. I've never been a huge fan of avid but some people swear by it

Greg Jones
D7, Inc
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:11:22 am

Avid seems wrong for my high school students. Most are interested at the consumer and prosumer level; they are indeed arts students and film/video (including some film history) is just one class among photography, drawing, printmaking etc.

Hard to argue with Premiere for reasons you state: very familiar for those exposed to FCP Legacy, and plays nice with the whole suite, which these students encounter in other classes as well.

But I must confess, I have watched 9th graders pretty quickly understand the idea of FCPX and start using it on a basic level immediately.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:31:59 am

I work at a university in the North East of England. We've been using FCP since 2002. We've also had PC labs with Premiere Pro for the past 3-4 years.

We have FCP Legacy / FCPX on 20 student Macs in one building and also have a new 10 Mac lab with FCPX only. The response from students has been very positive, they learn FCPX quickly and enjoy using it. Even those that have previous experience with Legacy, Premiere, etc.

We've also noticed that during a project with 1st years students, they finish their projects quicker using FCPX than previous years did with Legacy.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: (SIOP again? what?) School is upgrading video editing software and Mac operating system need opinions.
on Nov 17, 2012 at 5:05:52 am

I teach this stuff to high schoolers. I use PrP on PC. FCPX should arrive any day. Then, Avid next year--after the grant is approved (hopefully--anyway at $300 for teachers, you should buy it anyway).

Regarding SIOP (the model I follow), yes, it's an actual thing: http://siop.pearson.com/

Since SIOP has already been taken, I move we change Walter's theoretical nomenclature to CIOP (cached in and out points). It would retain its same velar softening and therefore sound the same.

(Recovering linguist...nothing to see here. Move along.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]