FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tom Wolfe and Rambo turns 30

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig slattery
Tom Wolfe and Rambo turns 30
on Nov 14, 2012 at 9:01:00 pm

A little reminder tonight on BBC Two at 10pm The Culture Show. 50% of tonights show was cut in FCPX
Tom Wolfe and 30 years of Rambo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t6c5

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
Re: Tom Wolfe and Rambo turns 30
on Nov 15, 2012 at 7:58:16 am

Can't view in Canada -
Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users in the UK.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:40:29 pm

How do you know this...very good news as most London editors are very reluctant that I know

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Nov 15, 2012 at 9:16:38 pm

I know because I'm the editor that cut them.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:44:48 am

OK...that's interesting. Thanks. What is the general vibe at the BC regarding FCPX. I have heard that the rumours about the BBC adopting Premiere were more to do with Adobe kind of giving away the license with a number of workstations.

But there is (just as there was way back with FCP 1.2) such reluctance especially from the Avid Community to get stuck in to FCPX compared to the more "open to change" rest of the World.

With FCP 7 I used to take my projects to somewhere like the Unit for finishing but it appears no facilities have adopted FCPX (although I think The Mill may be looking at it).

And I work in a bit of bubble so keen to hear more from others in the UK.

Regards

James

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:35:09 pm

[James Ewart] " I have heard that the rumours about the BBC adopting Premiere were more to do with Adobe kind of giving away the license with a number of workstations."

None of the editors I know at the BBC think Premiere is a serious replacement for FCP7. People that don't edit think it is, but not editors.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 17, 2012 at 4:09:54 am

I have friend who use it in anger on PC's and all I hear about is crashes and freezes...probably poor setups and don't know if it's better on a mac. So many London and UK facilities have such a big time financial and emotional investment in Avid they just don't ant to believe there is a viable option. But as I said we've been here before have we not with version 1 through probably..

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:38:51 am

That's a little bit of a generalization. There are so many working groups within companies like Disney, BBC, Viacom etc.

While I am on the other side of the pond, I know that we are working with several (dare I say many) groups at BBC.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 18, 2012 at 5:12:28 am

I must say the transition to Premiere from FCP 7 looks like a lot less of a brainache than it has been for me t get my head round FCPX. Plus lots of helpful tutorials on the website and a familiar interface for sure. I played with Premiere for a week and think I could be up to speed in not too long. Big price differential though. And now I think I would miss auditions, compound clips, no rendering. Has the Mercury playback engine in Premiere also dispensed with the need for rendering for playback purposes...I suspect that may be the case.

It's going to be interesting to see how this drama unfolds...will FCPX establish itself properly in UK facilities and broadcast?

I guess we'll see.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 18, 2012 at 8:48:50 pm

[James Ewart] "And now I think I would miss auditions, compound clips, no rendering. Has the Mercury playback engine in Premiere also dispensed with the need for rendering for playback purposes...I suspect that may be the case."

I would say that Premiere Pro has more 'no rendering' than any other NLE out there. Of course I'm biased! ;-) Seriously though, the goal of the Premiere Pro team is to NEVER make you render until you're ready for creating final output. I would say that Premiere Pro offers far more real-time capabilities than FCP X.

As for a couple of features that FCP X has - I agree that every NLE has a couple of nifty things and I like both of the ones you mention. Put in a feature request to the Adobe team: Adobe Feature Request form

Cheers,
Dennis

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:21:21 am

Out of interest do you have a theory as to why Apple gave up with the traditional NLE paradigm..I've heard rumours about Adobe stealing a march with the Mercury Playback Engine and that they virtually capitulated. Or the more Apple centric theory that the wanted to be more revolutionary...but ti still seems odd to me that they had a product with good penetration into all areas of production which was probably outperforming Premier in terms of sales by quite a margin. The onset of FCPX must have done wonders for sales of Premiere no?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:31:03 pm

James,

I am SO staying away from that loaded gun of a question! ;-)

Seriously, as a vendor, I may know a bunch of things but I also had better have decorum and respect. Why Apple did it only they truly know. I have my opinions and if you ever get in front of me face to face, I'll be happy to share.

Thanks,
Dennis - Chicken Adobe guy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:44:14 pm

Shame cos I hink your opinions may be based upon more facts or better quality rumours than mine!

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:36:36 am

Out of interest... why not?

I have never used Premiere in anger a I never have the kind of deadlines that broadcast TV has but I played wit it a bit before my free trial need and it seemed very similar in functionality compared to FCP7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]