FORUMS: list search recent posts

Head to Head Audio Speed Retiming Test

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooks Tomlinson
Head to Head Audio Speed Retiming Test
on Nov 13, 2012 at 3:52:03 pm

Hey all,
I made this video as a head to head test of out of the box capability. No plug-ins, just what the NLE basic setting is at.

https://vimeo.com/53423697

It was in response to the mac break weekly guys, (who I like, see video here, youtube.com/watch?v=AOrTkyzlYuU) In the video you can hear it is really bad at retiming audio.

I've looked online and some people say it "works perfectly for them" So I am wondering if anyone else is getting the same results that I'm getting.

That leads me to another question, what do you use to retime audio? (i always use the DS at work, and it has not come up anywhere else)

Brooks

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
Re: Head to Head Audio Speed Retiming Test
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:01:51 pm

Thanks for taking the time to make that. Interesting results.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:56:57 pm

FCP X used to retime audio perfectly for me up to as much as 125%. Somewhere around the 10.0.4 update I found I could no longer get the same results. I have sent feedback about this a number of times. I don't know what happened. I often have to speed up non-pro talent when editing spots. Sometimes I can let it go and sometimes I use Audacity to retime the audio. It's disappointing to have had that capability and to have lost it.

NT

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:46:17 pm

When I starting moving more of my production over to FCPX around 10.0.3, I remember being very impressed at how far I could push the audio before it fell apart. But in the last few months- not so much.

So I agree, something has changed...

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 13, 2012 at 5:30:43 pm

Cool test. Confirms what I basically already knew from experience (at least about the 3 main NLEs). Nice to see Smoke does such a good job, but then again, it is a finishing program. I've always thought Avid was good because the plug-ins were related (pulled from) Pro Tools. I don't know if that's true or not, but ever since AudioSuite plug-ins, it's been the best for me.

I've always hated FCP retiming of audio. It was poor in legacy, and it's still not great in X. Although it is better IMO. Whenever I needed to slow down, I would use Soundtrack if it sounded ok, but even it has pretty severe limitations. So I found a program called Amazing Slow Downer (I know, stupid name). It's a little bit more editing gymnastics to get it from the NLE to Amazing X back to NLE, but it does a ridiculously good job for a very cheap price.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:24:34 pm

Thanks so much for doing this test.

If there's one thing I have learned, it's that my engine demands a lot on the water.

In all seriousness, this is a great side by side and clear results.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:46:34 pm

Normally when I retime V/O or dialog, I only do it in mono. It sounds to me like most of the fails are when the source is mono but two channel and the stereo phase is getting mucked up. What happens if you purely use mono files (assuming they were two channel as I was hearing weird left right phase artifacts).

If it is stereo then it shows the failed systems are no keeping coherent phase on two channel material. Without a doubt, the best retimers are MPEX3, Pitch N Time and iZotope RX2. All of them deal with multi channel audio with proper phase correlation. 25% is usually beyond a useful range for dialog but good to have pushed to the boundaries. On FX I have retimed -100% & more with iZotope which was the best for extreme stretches as it has independent formant control.

Stretching is usually harder than time compressing on music & FX. Dialog is actually one of the easiest to retime.

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:37:54 am

the vo was mono, that I time warped, then outputed dual mono (stereo)

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:40:13 am

Thanks for the info Brooks

What did it sound like if you just listened to one channel of the output not the stereo? There is some seriously bad phasing which would be reduced by ditching one channel of the output.

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:10:55 pm

Micheal,
It sound that bad in final cut pro x, when it is on mono. Exported mono it sounds bad.

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]