FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Glitches - Final Cut X, Quicktime, etc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Powell
Video Glitches - Final Cut X, Quicktime, etc
on Nov 12, 2012 at 11:41:25 pm

Hi Guys,

First post on here, not sure if this is the correct forum, but I have a technical question I'm hoping to get an answer to.

Recently I bought a IMac, Final Cut X (Motion, Compressor) and After Effects to start making promos/timelapse videos of builds we do at the company I work for.

The setup has been great for the last 6 months, but a problem has recently come up.
Most video I put out from Final Cut, either through compressor or just straight out of final cut, have loads of glitches in them. Sometimes its multiple line glitches, or big blocks of random colours. (I can take pictures and post if it help diagnose the issue) It used just exported videos, now it has moved on to any videos (discounting streaming videos online) played on the Imac. I've sussed it isn't the video files themselves, because when they are viewed on my Macbook Air in both quicktime and final cut, there seems to be no issues what so ever.
The computer has begun freezing on a regular basis as well, used to be during large renders, now its more like whenever it feels like.

I have tried everything, I've reinstall Final Cut/Quicktime and done an entire system restore to try and get rid of the problem, and they still persist.

Has anyone had any issues like this with final cut? My Imac is still within warranty, should I send it back?
Thanks
Cheers guys!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Video Glitches - Final Cut X, Quicktime, etc
on Nov 13, 2012 at 3:01:01 am

Updated to FCPX 10.0.6?
Updated to OSX 10.8.2?
Using a Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt external hard drive for all your media?

Return to posts index

Will Powell
on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:42:03 am

Final Cut is up to date. Still on Lion, but I will upgrade to Mountain Lion if it will help the issue.
All media is store on a USB 2.0 external drive, but the problem still persists with video files on the machine itself.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:38:52 am

It sounds to me like its your imac grafic card. If the video plays fine on an Air with FCPX(?) it shouldn't be the software. I've had similar problems but with FCP 7 and the latest MacPros while editing XDCAM at one of the posthouses I work at. If someone was grading footage on another workstation, I would regularly see green and pink pixel junk. When exporting it would always look fine. I would check the hardware.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2012 at 12:56:41 pm

I would not play files from USB2 drive as it doesn't have the sustained throughput. That may not be the issue though. Internal drive can also be a problem at times. As the drives get full the likelihood of a problem increases further.

I'd suggest you test on Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt drive. Both Project and Event should live on that drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]